First car UK

• Thread starter supra229
  • 21 comments
Hey I'm hoping to get a car in the next few weeks and would like some help.
At the moment there ... groups of people telling me what to get and their suggestions:
Friends - 106, fiesta, ciquento, corsa, impreza
Friends who kinda know what they're on about - 106, saxo
Driving instructor - (said not to get a 106, saxo 'coz i'll die) punto, focus (expensive so wtf?)
Parents :grumpy: - yaris, (looks small; i'm 6.2 and found a fabia small) fiesta
The internet - walk

and to be honest they all say completely different things on what to get and I'm getting sick of that so decided I'll buy what Gtplanet says cause chances are it'll be as informed if not better (assuming you are of serious help)

Anyway my budget for a car is about #2000 (yes my keyboard doesnt have a pound sterling key :( ) and #1200 or so for insurance

I'm 18, passed my test almost a year ago and did pass plus. Learnt to drive in a Fabia VRS which was fun.

My current car list is:
Polo 1.4 petrol
Polo 1.9 diesel
Mondeo 1.8 diesel
Mondeo 1.6 petrol
By the way what mileage would be suitable for each of these cars and for any in general? that's something I'm having trouble calculating into my options

Feel free to rip that list apart if you think it's that bad. Oh and if there are anymore details you may need just ask. Thanks.

P.S. hey, haven't been on here for a few years.

Either of the Mondeo's will be more likely cheaper to insure. On the mileage, what year Mondeo's are they? The only con with having A mondeo as a first car is that they are bigger than most people want to start with. Small hatchbacks are expensive for new drivers to insure.

Mondeo 1.8 diesel

Correct. Or 1.8 petrol (not the 1.6... Brrrrrr).

Lower insurance because you're not in a car that kids crash, just as frugal, much more space and toys.

Mondeo 1.6 petrol :D

Though I'm having a bugger of a time tracking them down, it's like nobody bought them for some reason....

You can probably get a 1.8 year-2000 Mondeo for fairly cheap now a days. But the older gen are considerably cheaper again.

Then again, you could always have a look at Rover 400s.....

Being a sometime Mondy diesel owner i would certainly own one over the 1.6 petrol version. I'm 6'2" as well, so found them to have plenty of room. Mind you i've driven Polos too with little difficulty.

Avoid Rover 400's - you're 18 not 58!!! ;)

Being a sometime Mondy diesel owner i would certainly own one over the 1.6 petrol version. I'm 6'2" as well, so found them to have plenty of room. Mind you i've driven Polos too with little difficulty.

Avoid Rover 400's - you're 18 not 58!!! ;)
Quite right on both counts.

On the subject of a car to go for, never rule out one of these....

ford-ka-malaga-car-hire.jpg

...cheap to buy, own and run. Will easily fit lanky buggers in it (I include myself in that), a surprising amount of room inside, stupidly reliable (well the engine has been around forever), easy to carry out basic work on, nippy and a total hoot to drive. In my mind a much better pick than either of the VW's.

Regards

Scaff

in_Fiat_Panda_50.jpg

I'm considering the 1.1 Panda.
I'd probably put some blinging alloys on it though. Maybe suspension lowering.

But I would never put neons on unless they matched the car color.

I'll check the 1.8petrol mondeo again but I'm pretty sure the insurance for that jumped several hundred. As for the size of the car, well my instructor said that never mattered regardless of driving experience? The mileage of the mondeos I can afford is about 60k+ for a diesel and anywhere between 40 and 100k+ miles for a petrol. Though petrols are easier to find.

Only problem now is my dad is eager that I get a Kia of some kind - the problem is he wants me to get a fairly new I won't be able to afford - his reasoning for taking me to see these is simply 'to get an idea'? he's very backward so not sure how I'm going to explain i'd like a mondeo when every other kid has a hatchback even if there is an insurance difference :(

As for the Ford Ka I remember it being fairly small but I'll check it out again.

Ultrabeat: thought neons were illegal anyway not that I've ever understood why.
Thanks again anyway

Get a Nissan Almera :D

Nah seriously the Polo sounds good, the 1.2litre isnt as slow as you think, its solid, interior is nice, its reliable and good if you plan on doing a lot of driving. If I had £2000 though I would get a nice 3 door EG or EK Civic...

As for the Ford Ka I remember it being fairly small but I'll check it out again.
On the outside its a fairly compact little beastie, but a rather large surprise on the inside, a quick look at Ford's website and a comparison of headroom for the Ka, Focus and Mondeo is quite interesting.

Ka
Front Headroom - 992mm
Rear Headroom - 992mm
Front legroom - 1036mm (max)

Focus
Front Headroom - 999mm
Rear Headroom - 978mm
Front Legroom - 1108mm (max)

Mondeo (outgoing model)
Front Headroom - 1002mm
Rear Headroom - 969mm
Front Legroom - 1071mm (max)

So in terms of front headroom the outgoing Mondeo (Ford don't have details for the new model) is only 10mm more roomy than the Ka (and the age of Mondeo you are looking at would, I suspect, be smaller) and the Focus only 7mm better. In the rear the Ka has both beaten, so if you have any tall mates the would certainly be a bit less cramped in terms of headroom.

Unsurprising the Focus and Mondeo are better in the front legroom area, but not by a huge amount, the one area the Ka does understandably suffer in is rear legroom (Ford doesn't have comparable figures).

I will admit a slight bias here as I did buy my wife one last year and its proven to be a great car (a '99 with 22,000 miles on the clock for £2k). Insurance group 2 helps as well.

Regards

Scaff

My group 1 Panda guffaws at your suggestion.

:D

My Ka chortles at your build quality :dopey:

All jokes aside the new Panda is a great car (I've driven a couple and been deeply impressed, same with the new Punto), however its a bit outside the price cap of £2k that supra229 mentioned.

👍

Scaff

Quite right on both counts.

On the subject of a car to go for, never rule out one of these....
*snip*
...cheap to buy, own and run. Will easily fit lanky buggers in it (I include myself in that), a surprising amount of room inside, stupidly reliable (well the engine has been around forever), easy to carry out basic work on, nippy and a total hoot to drive. In my mind a much better pick than either of the VW's.

Regards

Scaff
But for anyone appart from a women with several dainty friends, or a complete loner, it's no better than a two seater sports car for practicality.

My stats- I'm 5ft 11 with approx a 33inch inside leg.

I've have sat in the back of a Ka with an average size person up front. It was cramped, knees touching the front seat.

I sat in the back of a Panda, short driver in front, I was squished.

Back of a 5 door fiesta (previous model) with an average size person in teh front. Fairly comfortable on a 15 minute run, wouldn't want to spend much longer back there though.

But for anyone appart from a women with several dainty friends, or a complete loner, it's no better than a two seater sports car for practicality.

I've have sat in the back of a Ka with an average size person up front. It was cramped, knees touching the front seat.

Back of a 5 door fiesta (previous model) with an average size person in teh front. Fairly comfortable on a 15 minute run, wouldn't want to spend much longer back there though.

Ah but I drove a Celica for four years so I had my friends cut off their legs years ago LOL.

You are quite right, it does depend on if you are looking for a car to travel distance with a number of passengers and luggage or not, if so then a bigger car is almost certainly a must. If its mainly short distance and town/city driving then a smaller car may be a better bet, and personally I would go for the Ka, as I rate it as a better drive than the Fiesta (which is really from the next size segment up).

What ever supra229 does I would strongly suggest a good look around at all the main suggestions, try a few of each, test drive them if possible (I know that may be a problem at some dealers being 18 - depends on the insurance they have) and take your time.

Regards

Scaff

Heh was thinking similarly when I noticed he had avoided posting rear foot well dimensions - than I thought it's not my problem 'cause I'll always be in the front :sly:

Though getting something like a mondeo where there is room in the back would be a plus as I do actually get on with my mates and they'd appreciate it especially if we take the car to Continental Europe this summer (we'd have to ditch about 10 other people who got invited so that we could fit the few of us lucky enough to not get ditched)

Heh was thinking similarly when I noticed he had avoided posting rear foot well dimensions - than I thought it's not my problem 'cause I'll always be in the front :sly:
Not exactly avoided, Ford don't actually show them in a like for like manner for the whole range. The Ka is shown as maximum potential rear leg-room and the Focus and Mondeo as minimum potential leg-room, cheeky buggers that they are.

I do however quite agree, rear legroom has never bothered me, I never go in the back of my car :) .

If you are travelling to Europe in it (or any distance in the UK) then strike the smaller cars straight off the list, not only are they too small, but they tend to get more wearing to drive over longer distances as well.

Regards

Scaff

Ah but I drove a Celica for four years so I had my friends cut off their legs years ago LOL.

You are quite right, it does depend on if you are looking for a car to travel distance with a number of passengers and luggage or not, if so then a bigger car is almost certainly a must. If its mainly short distance and town/city driving then a smaller car may be a better bet, and personally I would go for the Ka, as I rate it as a better drive than the Fiesta (which is really from the next size segment up).

What ever supra229 does I would strongly suggest a good look around at all the main suggestions, try a few of each, test drive them if possible (I know that may be a problem at some dealers being 18 - depends on the insurance they have) and take your time.

Regards

Scaff

The problem with trying cars of each brand/model is that even within each type none drive the same (unless fairly new) I drove my mate's clio a few months back and it was horrible, the clutch was so worn it had almost no bite and the gears so narrow i had no idea if they were going to crunch/hit neutral/drive me forward - though I guess you'd get used to these things it doesn't help present a car too well.

I'll see what I can have a go in but to be honest I'm getting very impatient with getting a car as I passed back in July and did my pass plus a week later and have driven only a few uninsured cars since. My parents keep delaying so hoping I don't pounce on the first reasonable deal I see without at least opening the bonnet. :nervous:

The problem with trying cars of each brand/model is that even within each type none drive the same (unless fairly new) I drove my mate's clio a few months back and it was horrible, the clutch was so worn it had almost no bite and the gears so narrow i had no idea if they were going to crunch/hit neutral/drive me forward - though I guess you'd get used to these things it doesn't help present a car too well.

I'll see what I can have a go in but to be honest I'm getting very impatient with getting a car as I passed back in July and did my pass plus a week later and have driven only a few uninsured cars since. My parents keep delaying so hoping I don't pounce on the first reasonable deal I see without at least opening the bonnet. :nervous:

My bad, what I was trying to say was that you should try a few cars of each type, so don't buy the first one you try. Given the age you are almost certainly going to be looking at, you will find quite a few seriously abused cars around. Try as much as possible to be picky and when you do find one that looks good get someone like the AA to inspect it. It may cost a small amount, but the often small issues they find can save you a lot of trouble and give you some leverage when bartering down the price.

If you do go for a car at a dealer (even a small independent) insist that they throw in a service and MOT in the price, most are quite happy to do so, but almost none will offer it.

Regards

Scaff

Not exactly avoided, Ford don't actually show them in a like for like manner for the whole range. The Ka is shown as maximum potential rear leg-room and the Focus and Mondeo as minimum potential leg-room, cheeky buggers that they are.

I do however quite agree, rear legroom has never bothered me, I never go in the back of my car :) .

If you are travelling to Europe in it (or any distance in the UK) then strike the smaller cars straight off the list, not only are they too small, but they tend to get more wearing to drive over longer distances as well.

Regards

Scaff

Might go for a bigger car then - promised loads nearly twenty people the day I get a car I'll drive them to the sea, so might need a bus.

Will be useful for the summer though as all my friends have small hatchbacks with 1-1.2l engines (whilst fine for one person it definitely makes a difference with 5 big lads in the car and a bootful of contraband). If I do go for a 1.8D or similar will have to remember to be careful on the roads though, one kid I know got his car last Thursday and has been pulled over twice and got a dent in his car already.

As well as being bigger, roomier and better-toyed, Mondeos (and Focuseseses too) have further advantages.

Kids drive small hatchbacks - they're cheap and they want the newest car they can afford. Kids also crash more than any other groups, and have bigger and more expensive crashes (you know everything at 18 and feel indestructible). This means that, statistically, hatchbacks crash more than any other vehicle type, and their crashes are more expensive than any other vehicle type. Actuaries - and so insurers - look at a kid wanting to insure a hatchback and go... "£2000 please".

Middle-aged people and sales reps drive family cars - they're spacious and eat luggage and motorway miles. Middle-aged people crash less than any other group, and have smaller and cheaper crashes (they have occasional fender-benders and car park scrapes, but they drive more miles, increasing the frequency). This means that family cars crash less than any other vehicle type. This makes you a much reduced risk for insurers with a family car, making insurance cheaper regardless of the base insurance group.

And coppers will pick on you less. Watch Road Wars/Car Wars - who are pulled over the most? Kids in hatchbacks!

You would be. In both.

I'm no basketball player, but even I find the Ka cramped. Plus the 1.3 engine is ancient.

On the other hand, the Panda is tall enough, but there's just no room in the back (or the boot) whatsoever. Great driving position for me, though :P

This may sound stupid, and you'll probably be laughed at all the way from Swansea to Dubai for owning one, but have you thought of a Berlingo? If You need space, a high roof and cheap insurance you can't go wrong. And, if you want to claw back as much respect as you can, go find one of the rare Partner Quicksilvers.

Anywho, Mondeos have pleenty of room, and they're dirt cheap. I'm really surprised you can't find many. They should be everywhere. You might want to take a look at Passats too. I have no idea what insurance would be like, but I'd expect them to be well made and full of kit. That's kind of a personal thing, though.

You would be. In both.

I'm no basketball player, but even I find the Ka cramped. Plus the 1.3 engine is ancient.
Old engine = easily repaired engine. Every mechanic knows the Ka engine like the back of his hand.
On the other hand, the Panda is tall enough, but there's just no room in the back (or the boot) whatsoever. Great driving position for me, though :P
As I'm mostly leg (I am infact shorter than my dad when I sit next to him, despite being a whole 2 inches taller standing.) Head room is rarely a problem but I find I need a good deal of space to fit my knees comfortable.

This may sound stupid, and you'll probably be laughed at all the way from Swansea to Dubai for owning one, but have you thought of a Berlingo? If You need space, a high roof and cheap insurance you can't go wrong. And, if you want to claw back as much respect as you can, go find one of the rare Partner Quicksilvers.
One of the people at my karate club have one. It absolutely gobbles up our kits bags when we go to tournaments and the head room is out of this world. But I don't need that much cargo room, and my parents have the Previa for that sort of work anyway. Plus, they hold their value well because they are genuinley good vehicles.

Anywho, Mondeos have pleenty of room, and they're dirt cheap. I'm really surprised you can't find many. They should be everywhere. You might want to take a look at Passats too. I have no idea what insurance would be like, but I'd expect them to be well made and full of kit. That's kind of a personal thing, though.
Mondeo's are everywhere, but finding a 1.6 seems to be quite hard work. A 1.8 probably wouldn't be much worse on insurance but every little helps.

Passat is a no-no for insurance. 911_Carrera just tried getting insurance on a approx 15yr old 1.4 Golf, it was like £2000. Now I know saloons get cheaper insurance, but aren't VWs known for their fairly expensive spares hence high insurance?

Back