FM2 Nurburgring

• Thread starter SouL
  • 89 comments
Anyone else a little bummed out at how it turned out?
I love, love, love the 'ring in GT4 and is 95% of what I run in the game these days.
I basically bought this game so I could run cars not in GT4 on the 'ring. But it's just not the same. Kerb placement is wrong... as well as kerb type. Where's the 'grasscrete?'

I've never been to the track itself... but have seen enough in-car lap videos to make a pretty good comparsion between the real track and the ones in the game. GT4 has the least errors in their track (some of which, I think FM2, got right, oddly enough).

You have to remember the Nurb in Forza 2 is meant to accommodate eight HUMAN racers on the track at a time. The whole track was made a little wider, for more passing opportunities, and better racing. Nur is pretty boring when you're stuck behind the car in front of you the whole lap, with no room to pass.

So? If they can run 24 Hour races there with 60 cars at once, they can allow us to race the real deal with 8 people.

There's no excuse for the piss-poor layout Turn10 did to the track. They could have made it wider, and kept those turns just as sharp. But no, they're wide as hell, and prove no challenge.

The 'Ring in FM2 is a disgrace to the Nordschliefe. It was made for everything opposite the real 'Ring was meant for.

So? If they can run 24 Hour races there with 60 cars at once, they can allow us to race the real deal with 8 people.

And the rest, last years 24hrs had around 200 cars start it, with 141 finishing...

http://adac.24h-rennen.de/en/database/result-database.html

...I'm with you guys on this, the same excuse was used for the original Forza and from the videos I've seen the Forza2 'ring is a slight improvement, but not much.

The 'ring has more than enough passing places without the changes made by T10, hell if they want to call it a sim then these kind of things are just as important.

Regards

Scaff

Well, I'd have to say the skill level between people competing in the real race and races on Nur on Xbox Live is wee bit different.

Since very rarely is there a race without expletives in Turn 1 while online, on any track at all.

Well, I'd have to say the skill level between people competing in the real race and races on Nur on Xbox Live is wee bit different.

Since very rarely is there a race without expletives in Turn 1 while online, on any track at all.

That pretty much sums it up.

If you don't like the way Turn 10 did the track a.) don't buy the game b.) don't race the track.

And I would like to know how many people complaining about the track have actually be to the real Ring, unless you've actually driven it how do you know what it's like? I'm not saying it's not messed up, I'm just saying I can not comment since I've never been.

That game is fantasy, Forza is closer to real life. What I'm saying is that none of us know for sure unless we have physically driven the ring ourselves. It might seem wider when you are in a car, I don't know, and no in car videos do not put you magically there.

You can comment on it all you like, but don't act like the GT model is superior and the Forza model sucks when a vast majority of people on these forums have never been to let alone driven the Ring itself. They might both be off for all we know, GT might be better or vice versa. Stating which one you prefer is fine since everyone's tastes are a bit different.

I personally like the GT one better, but I don't think the Forza model sucks either. I know I would like a wider course if I'm racing other people over the net because as Mista X pointed out, you wouldn't want to be stuck behind the same car for 13 miles.

And I would like to know how many people complaining about the track have actually be to the real Ring, unless you've actually driven it how do you know what it's like? I'm not saying it's not messed up, I'm just saying I can not comment since I've never been.

Well then I am in a position to comment, I've been, I've driven it and the Forza version from playing (and the FM2 version from videos) are very, very wrong. Enthusia is good but far to flat, with the GT4 version being the closest to the real thing, but still not 100% right.

The Enthusia and GT4 versions are close enough to describe as being good representations of the 'ring, but the FM and (from video) FM2 versions are just wrong. Apart from being too flat (bumps are a significant part of the 'ring) the exagerated width of the version totally changes the nature of a good number of the corner.

Related to just this topic - https://www.gtplanet.net/forum/showpost.php?p=2663445&postcount=372

Scaff

Project Gotham's recreation is the most fun. I don't know why people are so worked up by a recreation of a track. If you want the experience for real, get your arse there. I will be as soon as I have a full-time job.

Project Gotham's recreation is the most fun. I don't know why people are so worked up by a recreation of a track. If you want the experience for real, get your arse there. I will be as soon as I have a full-time job.

Maybe because some of us want an accurate recreation on the grounds that getting to the 'ring is time consuming and expensive, and I very much doubt that any job you get is going to allow you to muck around with the range of cars any of these games offer.

Of course its never going to be the same as the real thing, but then again Forza/GT/etc are never going to be the same as driving a car, does that mean they should not bother trying to at least get close. You also need to keep in mind that one persons idea of fun differs from another's, I found nothing fun about the Forza 'ring (or the PGR one for that matter), but I certainly do find the Enthusia and GT versions both fun, challenging and reasonably accurate.

Regards

Scaff

BTW - You may find that for a good number of our members a rather large body of water makes getting their 'arse' to the 'ring more than a little expensive.

If only life was that simple :rolleyes:

There probably not too many people on this site who a) live within reasonable visting distance of the Ring. b) can afford the time and money to get themselves over there and put that much wear and tear on their own car. c) own a car that could do justice to such a great circuit.

If you can do all of the above then good for you. The rest of us have to dream of doing the real thing via computer games. The more realistic the game, the nearer we feel like we are doing the real thing. Barriers are hard and M3's are expensive in reality! ;)

I was going to say something similar, but Cracker put it perfectly... as did Scaff.

+rep has been spread

The Nurb if FM2 is kinda a let down I feel. Its very easy to drive I find, compared to GT4's version. And while I haven't been in real life, the videos and such that I have seen make it out to be far far narrower and rougher.

I mean, I was able to lap the Ring in FM2 the first time I played it, with a car I was not familiar with, using the rather bleh wheel for the 360, with minimal time in the grass. It feels more like a racing track that you would find in the US now, with wide turns, smooth surfaces, and fairly gradual elevation changes.

EDIT -

Scaff
Scaff, the section of track you referenced in your post feels much easier in FM2. I was nervous heading into it on my first lap because of how its setup in GT4, but it seemed much easier in FM2 to handle.

Who cares, its one bloody track. If you don't like it don't race on it. Joey D hit it right on the head. Having watched enough real video footage from the inside of the cars on the ring I can say that GT4 isn't "95%" or some stupid insanely high number like that close to the real 'ring. Elevation changes, wind, and temperature can't be simulated correctly in any of these games (infact they don't even try--unless Forza 2 does). So by that and that alone ALL 'ring variations in all games are rubbish if you really want to be picky.

Now having said that, again, who cares about ONE and only ONE track in a game with dozens more tracks. It isn't Foza Nurburgring Motorsport or Gran Nurburgring Turismo 4, or Project Nurburging Racing 3. Seriously, just enjoy it for what it is or don't race on it. Its really fairly simple.

who cares about ONE and only ONE track in a game with dozens more tracks. It isn't Foza Nurburgring Motorsport or Gran Nurburgring Turismo 4, or Project Nurburging Racing 3. Seriously, just enjoy it for what it is or don't race on it. Its really fairly simple.

well, this is a discussion group, and we've based the discussion on one track of one game in this thread.

Besides, Nurburgring is such an awesome track that it deserves its own thread and discussion. Have a look at the Nurburgring Challenge (there's a link in my sig), and tell me the 'ring is just one of many tracks in GT4... it's not just that, it's a track with great depth and level changes, that has thankfuly been well reproduced in the games it appears on, although in some better than others. I've been racing in it for over two years and I'm still finding new ways to take curves and am also going off track at certain parts from pushing too hard.

And? I've stated my opinion. If you are trying to say that all of you Nurburgring players are only interested in one track don't you think that's a bit shallow? I'm not being derogatory either, I guess I'm just trying to understand what is so great about ignoring all other tracks in all other racing games and only concentrating on one track.

IMO, at the end of the day, as long as I have fun on the ring, then that's ok with me. I've played the 'Ring on GT4, Enthusia, Forza 1, PGR2, PGR3, GTR2, GPL and rFactor and even though they're all made differently, I've still loved driving there. So please, let's just all get along and enjoy the 'Ring for what it is: the world's greatest race track. Isn't it the fun factor that counts, after all? I don't want to enflame the argument any more, I'm just voicing my opinions here :)

Besides, I've driven it enough times, that I've practically learnt it before I can drive! (I'm 16, you know).

It's not ignoring the other tracks. I mean, all other tracks are much shorter than the 'ring, and usually just follow one style (long straights, or very winding, or blind curves), while the 'ring has it all, it's long, and very challenging... I mean, it takes a certain degree of expertness to pull a fast, clean lap. Because of all that, the 'ring gets so much attention, both virtually and in reality. Also known as the world's greatest track (tree'd on that)

I'm also a great fan of Suzuka, and if a discussion opened on it, I'd probably contribute, also because of the challenge the track is. And in the end it's just that: how the track adheres to its real-life counterpart, and how fast you can do it.

I guess a bit of selfishness comes in too, since I think the most I've driven a track in GT4 outside of Nurburgring is around 200-250 laps (not counting the enduros), while I've done The 'Ring no less than 2000 times. But the point of it all is becoming better and better at a very challenging track.

I was going to say something similar, but Cracker put it perfectly... as did Scaff.

+rep has been spread
Thank you kindly.

Scaff, the section of track you referenced in your post feels much easier in FM2. I was nervous heading into it on my first lap because of how its setup in GT4, but it seemed much easier in FM2 to handle.
That's a bit worrying, in the original FM it was a factor of the widening of the track, removing the tight nature of the corner combined with the smoothed over surface masking suspension compression issues.

Who cares, its one bloody track. If you don't like it don't race on it. Joey D hit it right on the head. Having watched enough real video footage from the inside of the cars on the ring I can say that GT4 isn't "95%" or some stupid insanely high number like that close to the real 'ring. Elevation changes, wind, and temperature can't be simulated correctly in any of these games (in fact they don't even try--unless Forza 2 does). So by that and that alone ALL 'ring variations in all games are rubbish if you really want to be picky.

Now having said that, again, who cares about ONE and only ONE track in a game with dozens more tracks. It isn't Forza Nurburgring Motorsport or Gran Nurburgring Turismo 4, or Project Nurburgring Racing 3. Seriously, just enjoy it for what it is or don't race on it. Its really fairly simple.
Toys and pram moment!

Did you happen to notice the title of this thread, its specifically for discussing the 'ring as portrayed in FM2, naturally its going to be compared to the real thing and to other sims. From a pure topographic point of view I can tell you that GT4s 'ring is very, very accurate (backed up by personal experience) and while accuracy may be a minor factor in an arcade game such as PGR, its a bloody big deal in what is presenting itself as a simulation.

As for who cares about this one track, I seriously think you may have misjudged a large part of your audience with that one, because I think most of us do (hence again a dedicated thread to it). I've said it before and I will say it again I would have bought GT4 if the only track in it was the 'ring. The reason being that its a very good recreation of it, the same I would not say of Forza.

Scaff

Edit - @JCE3000GT - I've just noticed your favourite quote in your profile, can you please change that ASAP, the AUP applies to all parts of the site and as such its currently a violation - thanks.

That pretty much sums it up.

If you don't like the way Turn 10 did the track a.) don't buy the game b.) don't race the track.

Looks like I can talk then. As mentioned earlier, there are tons of places to pass. Not every inch is 2 cars wide, and watching any of the videos, you could easily see people passing with a lot of space.

I took it on in a Cooper S, and I can easily say Forza 2 is wrong. As soon as I started a test drive on FM2's, I first noticed these mistakes on the turns between the Hatzenbach and the Hochiechen. They were all really wide, and nothing like the 'Ring. In the real 'Ring, these are the very first set of tight turns you can encounter. These are the turns all manufacturers like get to because due to their S-Curved ways, they give a good idea of cars abilities. From what I remember, these were the skinnest parts.

Moving on through the game, the 2nd botch was the Schwedenkruez and the Aremburg. Please tell me why the hell the Sch. is so wide? That is supposed to be the turn that slows you down for the Aremburg. The following turn is a bit off on sharpness, but I say botched because the game let the turn go too far out. That turn isn't that wide.

Going through, I noticed every single turn was pretty wide, and then only "sharp" turns were ones meant to be almost 90 Degrees. The next butchered turn was the Adenauer-Forst. This turn is NOT a chicane you can easily run around. The turn is a wide right into left, then right turn. Not easy right, left, right.

Going on, I saw, like the Aremberg, the Kallenhard was made wide which is sharper than the Aremberg in real life.

Surprisingly, the Wehrseifen wasn't too bad, but there are 3 turns I should mention before the Karussell. The first was the Ex-Muhle. This is the turn following the bridge. In real life, it's actually a pretty elevated hill, that can easily throw drivers off. In FM2, why is it a smooth uphill, and again, wide turn? That turn that shows its elevation. The next turn is the Bergwerk....
Butchered, butchered, butchered. This is the turn before very long straight before the Karussell. Turn10 made this turn wide as can be, despite it being made to slow everyone down for the straight. And last, the U-Turn after the Klostertal.
Turn10, this is not a wide U-Turn. This is more of a right-turn, right-turn in between, and is pretty thin.

And now the Karussell....

How the hell do you mess up this turn? If you don't know this turn, it's the first banked U-Turn you encounter directly after the straight. This turn is the worst. The fact you can carry so much speed in FM2's is inaccurate and a disgrace.

Now, my favorite part of the Nordschliefe are the turns between the Hohe Acht, and the Pflanzgarten I. These turns are so much fun because like a rollercoaster, if you can stay on the line, you can easily coast and push it through these turns. They are very smooth, and slightly banked. The elevation really helps this area. And you can't imagine my disappointment to see how easy and unfun these turns were modelled. They're like S-Curves I could almost take going straight through. Once again, hill elevation roles are left out to so all down and uphill turns aren't representative.

After this, every turn was the same as the last. Wide and unchallenging.
It appeared only the Dottinger-Hohe was done right (large straight where you pull onto the 'Ring). However, I left out 2 turns that were also made much too wide, the Hohenrain-Schikane, and the Nordkehre.

I am just ashamed of the layout. Sure, the scenery is better, but that's about all the game has over everyone else since even PGR3 managed to do a better job. I wanted the 'Ring in the game so I could test how my vehicles were setup, just like the real deal. Not to have 140Mph rollercoaster with no challenges.

I'll still play the game since Sebring was done right at the least, but I'll be avoiding the Nordschliefe as much as possible. It's just not worthy of the name Nurburgring-Nordschliefe.

Have fun paying $25+ for every lap, then, as well as getting yourself out there with all the traffic and watching fear set in. We love this course in racing games because
A) It gets rid of traffic.
B) We can experience this course with different cars at high speeds, and see how fast we are (something not reccommended at the course).
C) We can enjoy the track for what it was made for. To be a challenge to drivers everywhere.

This track takes lives every year, usually due to speeds not yet control of by drivers. But you'd have to be real whiz-kid to crash on the FM2 version at high speeds.

As for Scaff and TheCracker, you 2 nailed it on the head.

And? I've stated my opinion. If you are trying to say that all of you Nurburgring players are only interested in one track don't you think that's a bit shallow? I'm not being derogatory either, I guess I'm just trying to understand what is so great about ignoring all other tracks in all other racing games and only concentrating on one track.

I think what Diego was referring to was the fact you'd put your comment:

JCE3000GT
Now having said that, again, who cares about ONE and only ONE track in a game with dozens more tracks. It isn't Foza Nurburgring Motorsport or Gran Nurburgring Turismo 4, or Project Nurburging Racing 3. Seriously, just enjoy it for what it is or don't race on it. Its really fairly simple.

..in a thread that had been made especially for members to talk about that one particular track within the game. The conversation was always going to have comparisons, favourably or non-favourably, with GT4 or any other game.

It's like going into the 'Caddy's own Blue Devil' thread in the 'Auto News' forums and commenting about all the fuss been made over a car that's ONE and only ONE car from a manufaturer who makes dozens of others.

I don't want to sound too much like JCE here, and apologies if I do, but what is everyone's problem? So what if the Nurburgring is that accurate as you'd like it? I'll still drive it, because it's a challenging track which personally helpe me develop my driving skills for the future and such.

Seriously, if you're that ticked off about it, then go cry to Turn10 and Microsoft. Simple, if you don't like how it is, then don't drive it.

Did you happen to notice the title of this thread, its specifically for discussing the 'ring as portrayed in FM2, naturally its going to be compared to the real thing and to other sims. From a pure topographic point of view I can tell you that GT4s 'ring is very, very accurate (backed up by personal experience) and while accuracy may be a minor factor in an arcade game such as PGR, its a bloody big deal in what is presenting itself as a simulation.

Exactly!

How are you going to simulate how a car goes through a certain track when the track is incorrectly laid out?

I can easily see someone getting the wrong impression of this track, going to the real thing, and trying to attempt what he was able to through certain turns only to realize they're not easy and wide, leading to a crash.

Of course, using some logic, I wouldn't blame Turn10, but I can still see tons of folks getting the wrong impression of this track. And worst yet, the Xbox guys will continue to say GT4's times are super unrealistic while they achieve BS 5 minute times.
I don't want to sound too much like JCE here, and apologies if I do, but what is everyone's problem? So what if the Nurburgring is that accurate as you'd like it? I'll still drive it, because it's a challenging track which personally helpe me develop my driving skills for the future and such.
Seriously, if you're that ticked off about it, then go cry to Turn10 and Microsoft. Simple, if you don't like how it is, then don't drive it.

That's just it, man. It's not challenging. It's a high-speed course in the game that can blown through in just mere minutes.

And to even try and complain to Turn10 just gets you whiney-arsed kids who are so loyal Che and Forza 2, that they'll argue to the point of saying FM2's is right.

Exactly!

How are you going to simulate how a car goes through a certain track when the track is incorrectly laid out?

I can easily see someone getting the wrong impression of this track, going to the real thing, and trying to attempt what he was able to through certain turns only to realize they're not easy and wide, leading to a crash.

Of course, using some logic, I wouldn't blame Turn10, but I can still see tons of folks getting the wrong impression of this track. And worst yet, the Xbox guys will continue to say GT4's times are super unrealistic while they achieve BS 5 minute times.
The fastest time I've seen round the 'Ring on FM2 so far is 6'06.xxx in a F333SP. So at least they're not as unrealistic as GT4 standards.

The fastest time I've seen round the 'Ring on FM2 so far is 6'06.xxx in a F333SP. So at least they're not as unrealistic as GT4 standards.

You'll have to give it a few weeks. A lot of Forza 1's fastest drivers were in Europe, UK particularly, and last I checked, Forza wasn't quite available yet on their shelves.

The Enthusia and GT4 versions are close enough to describe as being good representations of the 'ring, but the FM and (from video) FM2 versions are just wrong. Apart from being too flat (bumps are a significant part of the 'ring) the exagerated width of the version totally changes the nature of a good number of the corner.

Related to just this topic - https://www.gtplanet.net/forum/showpost.php?p=2663445&postcount=372

Scaff

Gotta agree with this I'm afraid, I was looking forward to the improved ring after the abysmal Forza 1. The section in that link sums up exactly why it can't compete with Gran Turismo's version, and one of the reasons why I'm not really in the mood to do the "endurance" of 7 laps in a R3 Porsche in Forza compared to how I was driving the 1000 miles Nurb race in GT4.

nitro_2005

Please, you know that isn't to do with the corner severity and more to do with the length, which even Forza 1 got down better than GT if I remember. Just look at that lap and see what he does for aremberg, plus the fact that he only lifts off for 1/2 second for Fuchsrohre!

Maybe time wise, but the track is still way off the mark. Ofcourse, I'll still enjoy Forza 2 and I'm happy with the physics of the game and what not, but it's a poor excuse of a recreation of the ring they have made. since they obviousely dont want the real ring, they'd be better of creating thier own fictional long track along the same lines and save themselves the license fees. If they're going to go out of thier way to pay for a license to use a track in the game, then they might as well do it right. Or at least to the best of their ability. If they don't want what the real track offers, why bother licensing it in the first place.

Why can't you guys stop slating the 'Ring in FM2? As 1 or 2 people have said, including me, if you don't like the way it is, then just don't drive it full stop. Simple.

Back