Folkedahl's Drift Vids: New Vid 12/10/07

• Thread starter Folkedahl
  • 21 comments
United States
MN
Phoax
Multi Apex Buffet (12/10/07)

I made this vid back in 05 but didn't upload it until today. The whole video is multi apex drifts with my 97 Lancer Rally car. I've never seen anyone drift this car before. I got some cool shots taken from other cars on the track for couple drifts. The last drift at Midfield was the most difficult by far even though I went in the grass a little.

Driftaculus (12/16/05)
Driftaculus (right click save target as)
This video is mainly me trying to get as sideways as possible; it includes drifts over 90 degrees. It's not exactly traditional drifting, but I think it looks pretty sweet. Cars - 7 cars 6 makes. Thanks for hosting this BL.

Drift Medley
http://illhostit.com/files/3549784044746382/medley.mpg
Short vid I made just so I could try out the non-switching dive cam trick. Entries and exits cut off alot. Cars - 6 diff Skylines and one Vette

Loss of Traction
http://d.turboupload.com/d/144441/lossoftraction.mpg.html
My first drift vid. "I've never seen drifting that fast in GT4 " - Boundary Layer :). Cars-Skyline R34

One Thing_ No One Is Master Instead Of Battle Stage, nice video...I really want to play now and copy your drifts ^-^

ph... monkey this:

bush_monkey-733860.jpg

ya, wasnt that random....

I'll have to watch and comment on this vid in the morning. I have about 45mins left before it completes, and I need to get to bed so I look less zombie-ish during class tomorrow than I did today.

Back later!

Boundary Layer
ph... monkey this:

bush_monkey-733860.jpg

ya, wasnt that random....

I'll have to watch and comment on this vid in the morning. I have about 45mins left before it completes, and I need to get to bed so I look less zombie-ish during class tomorrow than I did today.

Back later!
*remembers from daily show* theres stumpy

Can't download, it says I'm already downloading a file, which I'm not.

Why not use filefront, this host seems a bit bugged....

Ske
Can't download, it says I'm already downloading a file, which I'm not.

Why not use filefront, this host seems a bit bugged....

lately, filefront has had long waits. I don't know if they just removed some public servers to increase the waiting time for non-paying users in an effort to get more people to subscribe to their fastpass service. Or maybe the place has just become that much busier....
but lately waiting times have been about 2 hours to grab a file.

-Edit-
Vid comments:

Good vid Folkedahl. I've never seen drifting that fast in GT4 (though, I've seen sheron come close on a few occasions). That drift at AH was crazy fast like you said.

Glad to see that you were using zero-counter technique. 👍 A lot of new members approach AWD's just as they would approach an FR and become discouraged when their countersteering send them for a loop.
Moreover, I'm glad that you left the vehicle with enough power on the front wheels to still be used like an AWD.

It looks in places like you need to tighten up your line during links. You were pretty good through dual apex type corners, but when you are linking a left and a right together you seem to run wide on the second apex. You did it at the beginning of your el capitan clip, as well as at monaco.
The monaco clip was a little shaky - but the fact that you kept that thing off the walls there (until the tap at the very end of the clip) was something I found a bit impressive.

I think your angle could in general be higher. For an awd these drifts seemed just a little bit shallow.

From an editting standpoint:
I wish you had kept a 4:3 aspect ratio. I found this square 1:1 ratio really bothersome - it distorted your car and that was distracting through the whole video for me. Also, you might want to increase the brightness and contrast of your vids in the future to make them more clear. It was extremely hard to see your car in shadows or amid dark surroundings - and your car is supposed to be white. (I had to crank the brightness and contrast color controls in BSPlayer to notice that you were infact using zero-countersteer)

Something has to be done to make the vid a bit more.... in your face. Despite the nature of the drifts taking place I found myself bored half way through. I can't determine if it was the laid back instrumental music or maybe the fact that all the camera angles were the standard track cams. But this vid didn't grab me and pull me in. In the future, try syncing your drifts or editting to your music, and don't be afraid to use the dive cameras with the disc-eject trick.

👍
good first vid.

Thanks for the comments! :)
I just got a vid input and editing program on my comp yesterday so I just threw it together before night class. I'll definantly take those editing tips into account when I make another vid.

That car is a beast and I have hard time keeping it under control when switching directions. I'm a little better with lower power cars. I'll keep practicing.

you have to wait for the download timer on his file to run down - it's a lot like what you do at rapidshare.

Boundary Layer
you have to wait for the download timer on his file to run down - it's a lot like what you do at rapidshare.

So much work... I remember back in the GT3 days, where we all used eachothers servers... None of this free server stuff at all...

;)

I took the plunge and got myself some web space of my own.. 500MB with unlimited bandwidth and very fast down/uploads for about US$3/month :D Can't argue with that...

Anyway, back on topic.. I managed to d/l from the second link, and the drifts were very promising indeed. I'd include more entries/exits and not cut mid drift as much, though.

Thanks everyone! :)
Ya, the exits on some of the really sideways ones got ugly. I'm gonna spend more time on traditional style drifting.

New video added 12/10/07.
Multi Apex Buffet added in the first post, check it out. Tell me what you think.

Thanks,
Folkedahl

Back