fond memories of my first GT game

I realised that I've been playing Gran Turismo for seven years. Seven years. Has it been that long?

I first got GT1 when I was 11. I remember sitting there on a dining chair about six feet from the screen doing race after race after race, sitting there, entranced.

I remember talking with my parents about whether to get a Nintendo or a PlayStation. I was originally for the Nintendo - you can appreciate how glad I am now that they went for the PlayStation over the Nintendo.

My first ever experience of GT was at an exhibition where Peter Brock, Australia's greatest ever race driver, was signing autographs, and I saw this thing called a PlayStation and a game being played on it called Gran Turismo. That's when I turned around and said, "I want Gran Turismo as my first ever PlayStation game". And that's where the legacy started. I now have nine GT games including two of the original - one original disc and one platinum - two of the second game - including one original and one platinum - GT3, GTConcept, GT4p and a "making of GT4" DVD. So including the DVD that's ten.

I want to reflect on how I've advanced as a driver. I can remember pulling the PlayStation out of the box, and finding this demo disc with a bunch of games on it. One of them was the original Gran Turismo. I played that for ages and ages and I can still remember doing the B1 license over and over because I just... couldn't... win it. Then I got GT1 and I didn't stop playing it for weeks and weeks. It was just this amazing game that held me totally bound for ages. I didn't know a thing about setting the car up, or how to drive, or even what each part I bought did. But gradually through the years I advanced as a driver. I still don't know how to set a car up, but I've gone from learning the game myself to teaching GT3 to my 12 year old brother.

Gran Turismo holds so many memories for me, and it was just a chance encounter that got me to decide to buy the game in the first place, and I'm so happy that I did, otherwise I wouldn't have found the joys of this wonderful game, or this wonderful site for that matter.

Long live Gran Turismo.

With GT5 in the planning stages it seems that the game will go on. It deserves to, a simple idea, buy a car, race car to earn money to buy either parts to make the cars faster or buy a faster car. I hope it will be supported by the next generation PS.

Stinky Chicken
I now have nine GT games including two of the original - one original disc and one platinum - two of the second game - including one original and one platinum - GT3, GTConcept, GT4p and a "making of GT4" DVD. So including the DVD that's ten.
So, if you win the Honda prize car in the FF or Lightweight series of your original GT1 and then load that garage in your platinum version, does the name shown in the garage change from CR-X EF-8 Si-R to CIVIC CRX'91 or from EK CIVIC Type-R to Civic(Racer), respectively? (And conversely?)

http://www.geocities.com/gt2toxs/gt/diary/2004-02-01.html

SportWagon
So, if you win the Honda prize car in the FF or Lightweight series of your original GT1 and then load that garage in your platinum version, does the name shown in the garage change from CR-X EF-8 Si-R to CIVIC CRX'91 or from EK CIVIC Type-R to Civic(Racer), respectively? (And conversely?)

http://www.geocities.com/gt2toxs/gt/diary/2004-02-01.html

Mate I couldn't tell you that. I bought a new version of GT1 because the old version got scratched to the ****house. Same with GT2.

I expect they'd be the same though - it's the same game, but one's original and one's... not.

I remember my first GT1.....back in early or mid 98'
First time i played it....i was like... what kinda crap game is this...what a failure the car refuses to turn. It din help when i cant read a word of japanese. I was SOOOOOo used to ridge racer. Then a friend of mine kept playing with it and i sort of got used to it and even got hooked to it. Now as i type i'm already on GT4 (still cant read a word of Japanese) but i love it. all my friends still hate the realistic controls of GT but i adore it.

I got to thanks that very friend who actually urged me into playing GT. He has passed on now...he will always be remembered fondly. Just like how i remember GT1

:)

I saw GT1 at a friends place back in '98 when I was 16, played it for about an hour later and next thursday me and my brother pooled all our money together and got a PS1 and just had enough money to buy a Platinum (aka Greatest Hits) game called Formula 1 (anyone remember that?) then we played on the demo disc Porsche Challenge and picked that up on the saturday and finally got GT1 a fornight later with a memory card and never looked back.

Nothing was more frustrating at the time and doing the final test in B License around High Speed Ring in a MX-5 and finally passing it with .2 of a second to spare.

But over time, you learn the tracks and I made the crossover to using analogue steering and throttle control and manual transmission and the lap times seemed to be getting faster and faster.

And now with GT4 looming in the horizion, it all begins again. Thanks alot GT for ruining my socal life!

Got it the day it came out, along with my first playstation..

I was 11 at the time..and all I knew about cars were that I loved lamborghinis and porsches..

I distinctly remember winning sunday cup and getting a mazda Deimo, with all of it's 90hp, and asking my dad if 90hp was a lot...haha

That made me a gearhead, and now I can't imagine being intrested in anything else..

I think I might pull GT1 out and give it a whirl..

I DO remember my first car ever, as well..a 92 Prelude..haha..I loved that thing..

They should bring back Racing Mods..and pages of history on the car..

Canadiandrifter
Got it the day it came out, along with my first playstation..

I was 11 at the time..and all I knew about cars were that I loved lamborghinis and porsches..

I distinctly remember winning sunday cup and getting a mazda Deimo, with all of it's 90hp, and asking my dad if 90hp was a lot...haha

That made me a gearhead, and now I can't imagine being intrested in anything else..

I think I might pull GT1 out and give it a whirl..

I DO remember my first car ever, as well..a 92 Prelude..haha..I loved that thing..

They should bring back Racing Mods..and pages of history on the car..

I thought GT4 had Racing Mods, and for those cars that can't be modded you can go to the tuners shops and buy wings etc...

hmm, thats not shocking, i there were racing mods we would get GT4 ooh i dont know, somewere around 2007 i guess :)

Damm it, I thought that they were bring back Race Modds due to popular demand. I'm disappointed now and I haven't even got the game.

MissingScore
To me, there was nothing like bombing round R11 in a fully tuned TVR Cerbera. Class!

That and the Viper plus a few others, Nismo 400R, Skyline, Supra etc. But the Cerbera and Viper were the best because of the power and rear drive, could really slide round those corners.

They were best second to this car! Sorry, But it's true. :guilty:

Attachments

• gt1-9a.JPG
    gt1-9a.JPG
    11.5 KB · Views: 27
HYBRIDLVR
They were best second to this car! Sorry, But it's true. :guilty:

That may be but I still prefer the Cerberra, it's got looks, great power to weight and drives supreme.

HYBRIDLVR
The Cerberra is a Smooth Driving, Looking and wonderful machine, It's also extreemly consistent! 👍

I found the Race model Concept Car was consistent too. Wait a min, have we swapped argue points or something???

fieldy
just had enough money to buy a Platinum (aka Greatest Hits) game called Formula 1 (anyone remember that?)

Isn't the game published by Psygnosis ? with the comentaries from the great Murray Walker himself and Martin Brundle ? I still play it ( on the EPSXE emulator so the graphics looks better because they are atialiased ) because it was the right balance between an game and a sim, very playable.

About Gt1 : I was at my computer games store looking for some racing games for my PS1 ( almost 90% of my Playstation games are rcing ones ) and I remember the salesman saying " Try GranTurismo, you'll get hooked". Damn, was he right..
It's rare to find a competent salesman now :)
Even my wife like it and was racing, banging that Viper all over the place in the untuned cars cup.

I recently did a time trial @ GVS with the Supra RZ fully Race modded. I then used the Castrol Supra which was 9 secs slower. I also tried the Cerberra LM, it was only a second slower and actually beat the fastest lap that the Supra RZ had done. I then tried the Concept Car, race modded but it wasn't as close as the Cerberra LM.

The Cerberra rocks.

TMM
I recently did a time trial @ GVS with the Supra RZ fully Race modded. I then used the Castrol Supra which was 9 secs slower. I also tried the Cerberra LM, it was only a second slower and actually beat the fastest lap that the Supra RZ had done. I then tried the Concept Car, race modded but it wasn't as close as the Cerberra LM.

The Cerberra rocks.

If you were 9 secs faster, it means that the RZ has a higher power / weight ratio than the Castrol right ? Unless you are a crappy tuner :)
I assume that the weight of the Castrol should be at least equal OR lower than the one of the RZ. So the RZ should have a higher power than the Castrol.
Now, we have 2 Castrol models: the one you win as a car prize and the one you can purchase. Are they identical ?

Well, I had a PSX before, but as Gran Turismo came out in Japan, I wanted it... I ordered a multinorm PSX along with GT and in early January I got it with UPS, I installed everything and was blown away from this new driving experience... That started everything, I own today hundrets of japanese games for over a dozen consoles, drive a WRX STi and have been multible times to Japan... don't underestimate the power and importance of games and consoles....

TMM

The Cerberra rocks.

Yeah it does rock. It was my fave car to tackle SSR11 enduro.

Gt1 ahhhh the memories... that game was unbelievable. I first baught it in 1997 when it first came out I remember using my christmas money to buy it from my local Grace Brothers shop. Got home and was thinking hmmm theres no "ferrari's or lamborghini's in this game I dont like it" (I never knew much about Japanese imports and so forth back then I was only 14 and not many people were into them either) 3 months went past of no homework being completed teachers were concerned but I remember thinking all I need is my playstation and this game :)

Biased turkey
If you were 9 secs faster, it means that the RZ has a higher power / weight ratio than the Castrol right ? Unless you are a crappy tuner :)
I assume that the weight of the Castrol should be at least equal OR lower than the one of the RZ. So the RZ should have a higher power than the Castrol.
Now, we have 2 Castrol models: the one you win as a car prize and the one you can purchase. Are they identical ?

Theres not a lot you can tune on the Castrol as it is Race Spec anyway. I haven't checked on the weight of the Castrol but the Supra RZ definatly has higher HP. It is the won version from GVS or SS11, I forget which race.

liam2maps
Yeah the Castrol Super should be slower but I want to see how well I do in it compared to the Supra RZ.

In which race? I don't think the Castrol handles as well as the Supra RZ.

ah i have very fond memories of GT1. it was one of the first PS1 games i bought, along with tekken 2. i was stuck into it for ages, and everytime i hear sweet 16 now all i think of is GT1. started playing it again yesterday and wow, it handles weird compared to GT3. im so unhappy they took out the racing mod, it practically doubled the amount of cars you could have. fave car is the RX7 Lemans car...mmm..:P

chinko
ah i have very fond memories of GT1. it was one of the first PS1 games i bought, along with tekken 2. i was stuck into it for ages, and everytime i hear sweet 16 now all i think of is GT1. started playing it again yesterday and wow, it handles weird compared to GT3. im so unhappy they took out the racing mod, it practically doubled the amount of cars you could have. fave car is the RX7 Lemans car...mmm..:P

A failing of GT3.

Back