fond memories of my first GT game

i remember when i got GT1. it was after graduation from 6th grade. my parents bought the game and a new playstation for me. we got one on christmas '97, but i burned it out in two years. after i got that game, i spent an enitre summer vacation playing it. i can't wait until i get around to buying GT2 and/or getting a PS2 with GT3!:)

Everytime i hear the songs in gran turismo i will always think about the first time i ever played it, i was about 14 or 15 and my friend and i went up to our local gaming store to look for a new game, well when we got there we saw this new crazy control with analog joysticks. So we talked to the guy about it and he said that this game was the only one to support it. He held up gran turismo. We looked at it in awe. My friend was older than i and really into imports so he had to get it, So he bought the game and the new dualshock controler and we were off. We went back to his house and just couldn't believe the graphics and how much fun and big the game was. We played it for about 3 days straight we even skipped school to play it. The rest is down hill from there. What a wonderful memory. :) :)

one of my friends said he had a game in Japanese cos he was in a band that had played there and he bought this game. His PS wasn't chipped, mine was. Stayed at his house for a week, then spent the next 12months telling everyone about this fantastic game til it eventually came out over here- by which time they were sick of hearing about it. When they played it they were all like "OH MY GOD!!! I see what you mean!" and I've never stopped playing it since...

THE END... (or is it....? :rolleyes: )

The first time I played GT was on a Demo disk. it was CD Sampler 7 that came with my PS. I played the demo at least a million times. The first $40 I saved I went and bought it. From then on I've been a GT fan and always will. There's also something cool about the first time you play one of the GT games. I felt it with GT1, GT2, and GT3. It's weird.

My friends and I used to race all the time in GT1... This certain playmate of mine always chose the Corvette Stingray while I chose the Eclipse... I won... :)

Originally posted by speedy_2
The first time I played GT was on a Demo disk. it was CD Sampler 7 that came with my PS. I played the demo at least a million times.
Yes, that demo sold me.

And I wasn't expecting anything like as much as I actually got when I bought the game!!!

See:

http://www.geocities.com/gt2toxs/gt/diary/
http://www.geocities.com/gt2toxs/gt/diary/1999-01-04.html
http://www.geocities.com/gt2toxs/gt/diary/1999-01-11.html

Okay, so prior to [size=+1]GT1[/size] my favourite racing game had been Superbike Challenge on my Commodore 64...

I remember coming across the gutter drift for the first time in 1998... I was just turning normally in the Clubman Stage R5 when I noticed my front tire grabbing the gutter...

I remember there'd been a big build-up here - Australia was one of the last markets to get it.

We'd just moved to Sydney when it came out here - I had my old PSX and Madcatz wheel. I lost a fair chunk of my life to that game...

I remember that when GT1 came out, I almost didn't buy it, because NFS Hot Pursuit came out a few weeks before it (i bought it the day it came out), and I thought what fun could that game be, if the cops aren't chasing you, but then, I just walked into the local video game store just to see what was new, and I saw the replay of gran turismo on the screen, and I saw that there were over 100 licensed real vehicles, and the Chevrolet Camaro was one of them. At that point I was sold, and I had to buy it, and I have been a GT fanatic ever since.

auhh...remember when i got my gt...i dint even knew english (i was small and stupid) and had problems whit first license :P

ohh boy...those were days :)

I remember when I first got GT1. My dad bought it for me and my brothers. We didn't tell him to buy it either! He just saw the game and he came home with it. We gave it a try and we were addicted to the game after that. That was in 1999 I believe. Although it is still a fun game, my main priority is Gran Turismo 3 now.

I hated the S-License test. i came up with many creative obsenities to shout at the television. i would even bargain with the viper and the TVr, promising that i would buy one of them if they would just cooperate.

i lied.

i remember the sampler CD, also i remember the tv commercial cuz it started off w/ real cars & ppl, then it faded into the game vids & it showed the blue Viper going over a hill & it does a wheelie/jump. ya'll know what track that was & which mode?!?!?! i do

i bought it the day it was 1st put out. i was so mad for 2weeks cuz i could never get used to the simulation, Need For Speed had me spoiled for a long time; the way to race is like nite & day between them 2 games. but i kept earning a few hundred dollars here, bought some tires 1st, then saved for the turbo upgrade.

& i gotta be honest, i never heard of the Skyline. never knew what a Silvia, Trueno or Demio was either. as of May 1998, i became an import tuner/lover as well.

to this day my buddy & i argue which car is better, GTO or R33 on GT

one time my friends and i had a race where we placed small amounts of money on the line... like a little gamble... we started doing this after unlocking all the other manufacturers in the arcade mode...

I remember when my cousin first got it......I was so addicted to it that i stayed at his house for a week!!We started off with the old used supra and ended up with the GTO. We would race each other(as most ppl do)nite and day.

Ahhh...Those were the days.......

Look at me resurrecting a 3½ year-old thread! I got GT1 just over a year ago. I got Ford Racing first though, just bc it was like $12 or something and I was exploring Playstation games. Ford racing isn't as good as GT by any means, but it was cool that I got this game first, just since it forces you to go in stages and I 'learned' how to drive with a dual-shock controller this way.

I think I actually won my very first GT race. It was a spot race @ High Speed Ring. I had a black Nissan Silvia Q and I saved the replay. I didn't actually make it into first place right away, it wasn't till the 2nd to last turn that I got ahead. Yeah, I've been fairly obsessed. I'm still a GT2 fanatic, haven't even got the 3rd game, yet!

Last edited:
(could've sworn there was a thread like this already) 1998 wow... seems longer. I had never really been into video games but for some reason the PS was different, it seemed destined to be part of my life (wow cheezzzzy). I remember getting the PS with my first pay check from my new job (damn I miss that money). It came with a sampler... Inside it had this demo vid of a game called Gran Turismo. My jaw dropped and that's when I experienced the first signs of "GT Syndrome disorder" Ever since then it's gotten worse, especially with every release of a new GT.

Every time I'd run to the mail box like a school girl or raid a store like a robber to pick it up I couldn't get home fast enough to have my jaw drop and my mind boggled beyond comprehension.

Today even with GT3 my jaw still drops at the amazing sharpness. I cannot imagine what it's gonna be like this time around with GT4 since I've been having an overload of GT4 syndrome disorder and it's not even out yet.

VipFREAK
(could've sworn there was a thread like this already) 1998 wow... seems longer. I had never really been into video games but for some reason the PS was different, it seemed destined to be part of my life (wow cheezzzzy). I remember getting the PS with my first pay check from my new job (damn I miss that money). It came with a sampler... Inside it had this demo vid of a game called Gran Turismo. My jaw dropped and that's when I experienced the first signs of "GT Syndrome disorder" Ever since then it's gotten worse, especially with every release of a new GT.

Every time I'd run to the mail box like a school girl or raid a store like a robber to pick it up I couldn't get home fast enough to have my jaw drop and my mind boggled beyond comprehension.

Today even with GT3 my jaw still drops at the amazing sharpness. I cannot imagine what it's gonna be like this time around with GT4 since I've been having an overload of GT4 syndrome disorder and it's not even out yet.

Ahhh thats the magic of GT. My first experience was at my now brother-in-laws house. I did the first license test, the stop in the box whilst driving a Demio. I was pretty good apparantly. Later I bought a CRX and raced the Sunday Cup until it was fully modded out, even with the racing body. Then I bought a 2nd hand PS with about a dozen games which I tried, then swapped the crap ones and got GT. After that I deleted my first game, which I now regret, and started again. I have re-started many many times and in fact have moved onto a 2nd copy of GT cause the first one got scratched. In answer to an earlier post, I am racing every car that you win in GT on all the races that the car can legally enter. That does include racing the Demio at GVS 500.

Back