Food Ethics (Poll)

• Thread starter Danoff
  • 369 comments

Why do you refuse to eat certain foods?

• I'm against animal torture (eg: foie gras)

Votes: 55 30.9%
  • I'm against animal killing (vegetarian)

Votes: 8 4.5%
  • I'm against animal labor (vegan)

Votes: 6 3.4%
  • I'm trying to limit my greenhouse gas footprint

Votes: 17 9.6%
  • I refuse to eat genetically modified foods

Votes: 15 8.4%
  • I refuse to eat meat that has been treated with hormones treatment

Votes: 21 11.8%
  • I'm refuse to eat meat that has been treated with prophylactic antibiotics

Votes: 14 7.9%
  • I eat "free range"

Votes: 31 17.4%
  • I eat "organic"

Votes: 26 14.6%
  • I won't eat smart animals

Votes: 10 5.6%
  • I won't eat endangered animals

Votes: 57 32.0%
  • I won't eat cute animals

• I'll eat whatever is tasty.

Votes: 103 57.9%
  • Danoff is an uninformed looser who doesn't know about my particular concerns (this is "other")

Votes: 23 12.9%
  • Only "natural" ingredients.

• I'm watching my figure

Votes: 33 18.5%
  • I won't eat foods my religion bans

Votes: 8 4.5%

• Total voters
I went other.

The closest answer I have in the spirit of the question is "I eat what I want without any real consideration for animal welfare", I didn't answer "whatever is tasty", as I'm trying to focus more on nutritional balance these days, and that means eating stuff that I don't find tasty, and avoiding certain others. Eg. I'm banning Donner Kebabs from my diet because they increase the chances of me having a heart attack.

edit: I'm now 'watching my figure' :D

Last edited:
My answer is a bit complicated.

I do eat meat, however, I do try to not eat the internal organs of the animal (the livers [Note: That is what Foie Gras is, duck liver], the hearts, and so on) as I am religiously commanded not to do so.

...I voted "This is the other" bit. :lol:

Oh, and I'm not picky. Not at all. As long as it's tender, savoury, juicy, flowing with delicate and powerful flavors that could wake the dead, bring fasting hermits back to a dining table and see God and all its wonder...:lol:

I don't eat halal, so top option for me. Guess the endangered species are another no-no.

Good thing my favorite snacks, like potato chips, aren't made from pandas, or I'd have a real dilemma in my hands.

I don't avoid any foods in particular or for any moral reason, biggest thing I avoid to some extent is beef because it's just so expensive, and I rarely drink milk for the same reason (I still eat cheese, cook with butter, etc.).

Over time I've started eating more beans, rice, vegetables, lentils, etc. Mostly a money thing but it's also nice from a health and environmental standpoint.

Meat of an endangered species is probably one of the things I'd consider unethical as far as food goes. And I try to avoid spicy and heavily roasted food because of stomach problems, other than that I eat pretty much everything. Not really a fan of most seafood and other weird gourmet stuff though, but that's just a matter of taste.

I'm a bit of a picky eater, I hate the taste of mushrooms for some reason, so I'll avoid foods that I don't like purely because of my pickiness. Other than that, I'm down to eat anything tasty.

It always strikes me how many people, especially from western cultures, consider eating dogs and cats immoral yet when questioned, they can't give a good reason to justify how it's any worse than eating cows, chickens, pigs, and so on.

I'm a bit of a picky eater, I hate the taste of mushrooms for some reason, so I'll avoid foods that I don't like purely because of my pickiness. Other than that, I'm down to eat anything tasty.

It always strikes me how many people, especially from western cultures, consider eating dogs and cats immoral yet when questioned, they can't give a good reason to justify how it's any worse than eating cows, chickens, pigs, and so on.
Not a lot of people keep cows around as pets.

So it comes down to what all animal rights people believe.

Protect it, it is cute etc.

Nobody cares about that endangered snail or whatever.
I assume if we farmed dogs and cats the same way we do cows and chickens things might be different.

I've always been a picky eater, but not really for any ethical reasons. My GI health is FUBAR so I'm on a restricted diet anyway, including no wheat gluten, no corn (syrup, oil, flour, starch, dextrose, etc.), and limited dairy. "Organic" and "natural" products are helpful for me to avoid those things, if only they weren't so expensive.

I don't feel bad about eating veal or pork/ham/bacon (pigs are smart), and I might try cat, but I won't eat dog because I don't want to.

So it comes down to what all animal rights people believe.

Protect it, it is cute etc.

Nobody cares about that endangered snail or whatever.
Or the endangered predator. Not quite as cute as the bunnies it mauls to death regularly.

Or the endangered predator. Not quite as cute as the bunnies it mauls to death regularly.
People like lions and tigers etc because they look cool. Just for some reason they can't understand the fact it will die if it just eats plants.

Last edited:
I don't like animal torture, but I don't really think about it much. If it's brought to my attention, I may stop eating things associated with cruel treatment.

Endangered animals would be a similar case. I don't consider eating them immoral, but I choose not to anyway.

I'm also watching my health. Other than that, I go for what tastes good. One thing I don't like is the stance against genetically modified food.

I am watching my health, but that's mostly drink related. I won't eat endangered species, no matter how good they may taste.

For the rest, if it's pleasuring my taste buds I'll eat it.

Haven't voted. I avoid certain things for medically necessary reasons, but as the thread topic is ethics, I avoid nothing.

Not sure if I should vote other or whatever is tasty.

My girlfriend is a pescatarian (eats fish, not animals...) so arguably about 35-50% of my meals are of that nature. Perhaps half of that number are vegetarian, and perhaps some of those could actually qualify as vegan, largely Quorn based. However, that said, I'm omni-damn-that's-tasty-vorous.

The GF's pescy' nature is hard to explain. She's fairly big on animal rights (zoos are a no) but somehow she can't explain why fish aren't included.

Personally, I'm very casual in the morales of what I eat. I try to buy free range eggs, I try to buy pole-caught tuna. I buy supermarket chicken/beef but try to look for the British 'Tractor mark'.

I do intend to change however. Less meat. More locally sourced from butchers that know the local farming community. More in-season fruit and veg, and less that is imported.

I don't care for it being organic, or antibiotic free or massaged daily. There's a balance between high intensity, efficient 21st century farming methods and moderate welfare-informed farming methods. I just haven't found the cost/convenience balance yet.

I try to eat mostly natural foods. Whole grains, fruits, vegetables, legumes, fish, eggs, healthy fats, very little meat. When I buy poultry I buy from a farmers market where the birds are free range and fed a more natural diet of seeds and are able to eat plants as well. I do buy some organic, but I also buy a lot of local produce when it's in season and I do some canning of my own. I avoid genetically modified food as best I can.

What about those that don't like to buy supermarket meat for various reasons, but shame others for hunting their own organic meat? Should be a "I won't eat hunted animals" option in there.

As for what I eat, I'll generally eat whatever I find to taste good. If the species is critically endangered or an animal I have respect for, I'll avoid it. If it's stupid use or stupid religious use of animal parts, i.e., ancient Chinese medicine, I'll avoid that too. So stuff like shark fin soup, bile from bears, and rhino horn. I probably wouldn't like the taste of those things anyway. :lol:

I will eat crustaceans, but not arachnids or insects.

I'm surprised organic isn't doing better in the poles. You'd think it was all anyone eats based on square footage in the supermarket.

Haven't voted. I avoid certain things for medically necessary reasons, but as the thread topic is ethics, I avoid nothing.

Not sure if I should vote other or whatever is tasty.

Feel free to vote both if you like.

Latest Posts

Back