For Hip-Hop heads only: What's your favorite old school joint?Music 

• Thread starter s0nny80y
  • 312 comments
Notorious Big - Juicy. Actually I rarely hear hip hop. But for notorious big juicy song. Or NWA will never get old. General compton california rap.

I've been on a strong Houston kick lately.

Lots of Pimp C and UGK. Would've been cool if Pimp C didn't kill himself with all that lean. That guy's swag was ridiculous. His live stuff was better than his recordings, which is crazy unheard of for rappers.

A pretty substantial necro for sure, but with February '21 (February 10th specifically) being the 15th Anniversary of J Dilla's passing, I've been on a pretty strong Jay Dee binge recently. I feel like I just keep on finding beats, remixes and songs/features of his that I never even knew existed, and almost all of it is wonderful.

This is only a small collection of my favorites as of late (General NSFW warning on all Lyrics). I'd post more, but there's (understandably) a 5 video limit.

If anyone's interested, I made this tribute to early 90s boom bap during the first lockdown. Traditional boom bap elements, along with subtle samples from rock, metal & punk, and some classic verses thrown in for good measure.

Digable Planets - Where I'm From (1993)

Always loved Digable Plantes, and I'll always be sad that there were only 2 albums that they put out.

Each of their songs are great, but I think Borough Check with GURU is my overall favorite.

Rue
That's pretty sick. Always loved that song, but I never knew that they made a music video for it, let alone in Hong Kong.

Always loved Digable Plantes, and I'll always be sad that there were only 2 albums that they put out.

Each of their songs are great, but I think Borough Check with GURU is my overall favorite.

That's pretty sick. Always loved that song, but I never knew that they made a music video for it, let alone in Hong Kong.

Yeah! Cool innit. I once served Jeru when I worked in a fish n chip shop in Bristol in the UK circa 1999. The world works in mysterious ways!

Happy Birthday to arguably 2 of the greatest to ever spin some records.

James Dewitt Yancey, aka J Dilla (02/07/1974 - 02/10/2006)

Dilla Drums.jpg

Jun Seba
, aka Nujabes (02/07/1974 - 02/26/2006)

Nujabes.jpg

Last edited:

Latest Posts

Back