Ford GT40 MkII 1966

• Thread starter NART512
  • 26 comments
United States
MotorCity
NART512
History:The Ford GT40 Mk2 was the successor to the Ford Mk1 in 1966. After the struggles that the Mk1 had on the track, Shelby modified the cars with a new 7.0L V8. This caused the car to dominate the 1966 24 Hours of Le Mans, sweeping the podium with a 1-2-3 finish. The car gave Ford it's first podium win at Le Mans as well as their first win.
Wins:
24 Hours of Le Mans (1, 1966)

Specs:
Engine(s):
7.0L 427 Cubic Inch V8
7.0L 427 Cubic Inch "Mercury" V8 (only fitted to 2 models. Chassis #1016 & #1047)

shelby-mkii-gt40-9-1_1280x0w.jpg

1966%20Ford%20GT40%20Mk2_14.jpg

8193.jpg

Related:
Shelby Cooper Monaco King Cobra '63 '64:https://www.gtplanet.net/forum/threads/shelby-cooper-monaco-king-cobra-63-64.299994/#post-9319801
Ford P68 / F3L / 3L GT - 1968 - Race Car:https://www.gtplanet.net/forum/threads/ford-p68-f3l-3l-gt-1968-race-car.302285/

Last edited:
It is but it is virtually identical to the original. it was mad is celebration of Carroll Shelby's 85th birthday.

Yes - very good replicas - they own the rights to the name and logo GT40 and also produce the GT40R which is so authentic that it is allowed to compete in historic racing - plus Chris Amon has a replica they made of his 1966 winning car.

This thread should be flooded with likes - a car with the beauty of the MK1 GT40, but with the additional macho looking scoops and air inlets needed for the 7 litre engine - what's not to like?

A few more pictures of one of the original cars:

GT40 MK2 Side.jpg
GT40 MK2 Engine.jpg
GT40 MK2 Interior.jpg

A 289 is FAR from a 7.0L, it's a 4.7L.

This is why false information gets spread around the internet. Please fix this.

A 289 is FAR from a 7.0L, it's a 4.7L.

This is why false information gets spread around the internet. Please fix this.
Sorry, both are actually 427s. I was reading about the Mk I engines before making this Mk II thread so simple mix up on my part.

Sorry, both are actually 427s. I was reading about the Mk I engines before making this Mk II thread so simple mix up on my part.

4737cc 7.0L 427 Cubic Inch V8
6997cc 7.0L 427 Cubic Inch V8

No this is still incorrect.

The cc size is wrong. Every thousand cc's is 1 liter. Every hundred after that, is the number after the ".". So 4,737cc would be a 4.7L.

IIRC, some cars had 289's and 427's.

No this is still incorrect.

The cc size is wrong. Every thousand cc's is 1 liter. Every hundred after that, is the number after the ".". So 4,737cc would be a 4.7L.

IIRC, some cars had 289's and 427's.
That's because you said the cubic inches were wrong so I was only looking at that....... My apologies

Both were incorrect :lol:

They tie together.

I'm still really confused to this though.

Specs:
Engine(s):
7.0L 427 Cubic Inch V8
6997cc 7.0L 427 Cubic Inch Mercury V8

Only one engine is required here unless you count 289 cars.

There is no such thing as a Mercury 427, all 427's were FE engines designed and built by Ford.

Both were incorrect :lol:

They tie together.

I'm still really confused to this though.

Only one engine is required here unless you count 289 cars.

There is no such thing as a Mercury 427, all 427's were FE engines designed and built by Ford.
2 were fitted with Mercury 427s for the 1967 Daytona race. They are exactly the same as the Fords. I included the two so people know as much as possible about the car, not because I was 2 cars in the game.

But that's the thing. There is no such thing as Mercury 427's. Every single 427 built was cast with a Ford logo on the engine block and Ford casting numbers.

But that's the thing. There is no such thing as Mercury 427's. Every single 427 built was cast with a Ford logo on the engine block and Ford casting numbers.
They had Mercury logos for it. Look this is just pointless. It's my thread. Unless you go get pictures of chassis #1016 and 1047's engines it's staying.

They had Mercury logos for it. Look this is just pointless. It's my thread. Unless you go get pictures of chassis #1016 and 1047's engines it's staying.

You clearly know nothing about Ford then.

Just because it has a Mercury painted on the side of the body has absolutely nothing to do about the casting number on the engine block..........

All Mercury cars in the 1960s and 70s used Ford sourced engines.

Just because it has a Mercury painted on the side of the body has absolutely nothing to do about the casting number on the engine block..........

All Mercury cars in the 1960s and 70s used Ford sourced engines.
Yes that's true. But as I have said I include as much info as possible so people can know as much about the car. I'm keeping it and the fact of the matter is, it's my call. Granted their both the same engine from the same place however seeing as 2 are Mercury makes it historically significant and must be included.

Yes, I agree with that.

I was just clarifying that the engines in the Mercury labeled cars are not as such 👍

Yes, I agree with that.

I was just clarifying that the engines in the Mercury labeled cars are not as such 👍

For Daytona 1967, two Mk II models (chassis 1016 and 1047) were fitted with Mercury 7.0 liter engines. Mercury was a Ford Motor Company division at that time, and Mercury's 427 was exactly the same engine as Ford's with different logos.

The above is a quote from Wikipedia - I have also read about the Mercury engined MK2's on other sites - presumably a couple of the cars had Mercury badged engines for marketing reasons.

The first post in this thread had an obvious typo in it - so I didn't bother commenting on it.

Just to clarify - the MK1 was fitted with 4.2, 4.7 and 4.9 engines. The MK 2 with 7 litre. The MK3 with 4.7 and the MK4 with 7 litre engines.

Mercury 7.0Ls were still Ford engines based on the casting. Mercury did NOT have it's own engine line, period....I don't know why no one seems to understand that....

They were identical in every way, the only difference is that the rest of the car had "Mercury" painted on it. The engines still had Ford printed all over it on each and every part and I know this because it happened in every single other Mercury vehicle for about 30 years.

Mercury 7.0Ls were still Ford engines based on the casting. Mercury did NOT have it's own engine line, period....I don't know why no one seems to understand that....

They were identical in every way, the only difference is that the rest of the car had "Mercury" painted on it. The engines still had Ford printed all over it on each and every part and I know this because it happened in every single other Mercury vehicle for about 30 years.

I think everyone does understand that Mercury was a Ford Brand and some engines, although identical - probably for marketing reasons - were described as Mercury engines.

I think everyone does understand that Mercury was a Ford Brand and some engines, although identical - probably for marketing reasons - were described as Mercury engines.
Well said 👍

I desperately want the Ford GT40 Mark 2 Race Car to be added to the game - It has massive historical significance as it won Le Mans in 1966. It is also the best looking (in my opinion) of the GT40 race cars. In 1967 the Mark 2's were upgraded and renamed the Mark 2B and featured two four barrel carbs instead of the previous one which liberated an extra 15bhp.

I found these photos while doing research on GT40 paint colours for a race series which I am planning - unfortunately we will have to use the GT40 Mark 1 road car (4.7 litre) painted to look like the 7 litre GT40 Mark 2.

Ford GT40 MK 2 Group Poster.jpg

Mk4 & mk2 GT40's.jpg

Above, at Le Mans 1967, car 57 is a Mark 2B and is surrounded by Mark 4's

Last edited:
Back