Super-Cool Since 2013
Premium
United States
GR-MI-USA
YSSMAN
YSSMAN

See Post #186

======================

Wow, they got on this project a lot faster than what I thought they would. Guess they want to be ready for the Challenger and Camaro in 2009...

LLN.com
Ford has begun testing prototypes for its 2009 Mustang, which appears to be destined for a serious mid-cycle makeover. Although photographers had only seconds for a drive-by photo-blitz, spies say the first word that came to mind was "Giugiaro." After analyzing the photos, it seems that that first impression may have been justified.

Putting these spy shots up next to pix of the Giugiaro Mustang concept that originally debuted at the LA Auto Show, there are some definite similairities between the front-clips of these two cars. The hoodline on this prototype shares the graceful arc of the Italian-inspired show car, and a similar wheel arch appears to reside beneath the camouflage. A sharp, angled character line also appears to be visible on the prototype's front bumper, and its angle and placement matches the Giugiaro concept's nose detail exactly.

A Giugiaro adaptation of the Mustang would seem more at home at a venue like the Geneva Motor Show — Italdesign's usual stomping grounds — so the fact that it debuted in LA and is currently gracing the Ford display at auto show in Detroit has raised some eyebrows, and has begun rumors that the show car's cues might just be on tap for the next-gen Mustang. Those rumblings now appear to have plenty of merit behind them.

1spied2009fordmustangna2.jpg

2spied2009fordmustangsr1.jpg

3spied2009fordmustangxs8.jpg

4spied2009fordmustangij9.jpg

5spied2009fordmustangao5.jpg

...So they certainly have the process rolling, and it is pretty clear that the Giugiaro concept is going to have an effect on the overall look of the "next" Mustang. I don't think the car is going to change a whole lot, given the fog-lamp placement in the grille and the overall shape of the headlights looks like they are going to be a bit more like the Cobra (given the last photo).

I'm excited to see what Ford has cooked up, and I'm hoping that the tail-lights from the concept car make it on the production model (you know, the ones like the origional '64 1/2...).

Last edited:
Interesting. So the Camaro and Mustang will basically have the same front end? I can live with that as long as there will be a new SVT Cobra.

Awsome. The mustangs front end was it's weakest point styling wise, at least on the GT models. even if the rest of the car is unchanged i'll love it. Now here's hoping for an alluminum block 5.4 liter s/c, irs equipped SVT Cobra.

[EDIT]
i love those wheels

Interesting. So the Camaro and Mustang will basically have the same front end? I can live with that as long as there will be a new SVT Cobra.

that front and the camaro front look nothing alike.

i dont mind the new front end of that concept its the back im worried about. if im correct that is the prototype with the horrendously changed rear end right? im not worried, from the look of the test drive vehicle they didnt cover up the back so no changes went on there.

I'm fairly sure the taillights will be in the little concave thing, where they belong. Just as long as they are not big and fat, like they are now. They need to be thinner. That car is so great looking really.

I'm really hoping they don't go in the direction of that concept... it's not Stang material at all. Either way I probably wouldn't get one so it doesn't matter all that much it's just the legacy of the Stang's image.

DWA
I'm really hoping they don't go in the direction of that concept... it's not Stang material at all. Either way I probably wouldn't get one so it doesn't matter all that much it's just the legacy of the Stang's image.

lol, sarcasm can just be so funny some times.

my dad owns an 06 v6 and im very happy with how it looks now. like whoever said, the tailights could be a tid bit slimer but other than that i have no problem with it (except for that fact its a v6 ) but even then it still has plenty of balls.

Good job Ford. Now fix the rear end as well and put IRS in it.
DWA
it's just the legacy of the Stang's image.
Yeah. Um, copy-pasting an old design on a new chassis isn't kind to a car's image either. The only one who has ever done that right is Jaguar.

The front will also be lacking the curve from the crease on the front to the wheel. I see a bump in there. Looks like the back end may have a similar, but less drastic concave in the back. I could almost see them putting a gillette grille on this too. That would look funny.

Upon looking at this, the current Mustang and the concept, I have to say I'm not so sure we should jump to conclusions. Other than a few certain details (fenders and the diagonal crease on the front lip), this could be looking like either the current Mustang or the concept.

The street pictures make the car look SO tall compared to the concept. The whole idea loses its charm.

If they're improving the headlights and fixing those bento-sized tails, then it looks like the only thing left to do is take care of the B and C pillars and that ugly port window.

The street pictures make the car look SO tall compared to the concept. The whole idea loses its charm.

If they're improving the headlights and fixing those bento-sized tails, then it looks like the only thing left to do is take care of the B and C pillars and that ugly port window.

are you talking about the smaller windows in the back. i admit they are pretty useless and they didnt make it comfortable at all for people in the rear ( believe me, there is absolutely no room back there, i had to sit in the back for an hour ride :grumpy:. but the front is very comfortable) anyways back onto my point, without those smaller windows it would look really retarded. maybe if they put the fake vents on or something but just having nothing there would look horrible.

I highly doubt that this resembles the Guigiaro concept. It's more likely a trick of the light & angle. My reasoning? Look at any current Mustang from the same angle:

2006-Mustang-GT-Convertible.jpg

The hood drops down the same way, the lower grille kicks out the same way.... In fact, why is everyone ignoring the huge bulge on the leading edge of the hood? :odd:

I can't tell anything from those spyshots. I'm going to pretend that I never saw them. As long as the cowhide seats makes it in, I'm happy. :P

Good job Ford. Now fix the rear end as well and put IRS in it.

...That will likely depend on what Lincoln decides to do with the D2C platform, assuming that the rumors of the MKR greenlight are true. Lincoln may not want the Mustang to step on their toes, however, allowing for GM and DCX to run away with IRS technology has to be a stab somewhere in the chest of Ford. They are eventually going to need to go all Jack Bauer on the competition and proceed to go neck-biting, but it looks uncertain how Ford will approach it directly. They still need more power, a better-sorted suspension, and a more competitive lineup against the Challenger and Camaro. As of now, they have everything to lose, and if they don't act, nothing to gain in the process.

Well, the beancounters will probably still have their say, there. That beam axle is good for 99% of Mustang buyers (otherwise, they wouldn't buy it, right?) so let's keep it... :(

It would be nice if a Lincoln-based-Mustang-based-Lincoln were to emerge with all the current mojo the Mustang has and the LS wished it did. At least then, an SVT IRS conversion for the Mustang might see the light of day.

Well, the beancounters will probably still have their say, there. That beam axle is good for 99% of Mustang buyers (otherwise, they wouldn't buy it, right?) so let's keep it... :(

I have agree with that point, as much as I actually hate solid rear axles. It works (sort of), it sells (like any Mustang), and it's cheap. Meanwhile, those who actually want an IRS Mustang can always swap it out, and have a car that actually does well on rough, twisting roads.. One good thing about the Mustang is that it's always been an economical platform to modify. When I finally get around to buying one (an '01, I think) that will be the first thing I do.

and why would they put a new nose on a car with a regular production rear half?
It's called a cooling prototype. They stick the new front half on the current chassis to see what the airflow to the engine is like, etc. Much cheaper to build and easier to camoflauge than a full prototype.

I highly doubt that this resembles the Guigiaro concept. It's more likely a trick of the light & angle. My reasoning? Look at any current Mustang from the same angle:

http://www.mustangforums.com/timeline/2006-ford-mustang/images/2006-Mustang-GT-Convertible.jpg

The hood drops down the same way, the lower grille kicks out the same way.... In fact, why is everyone ignoring the huge bulge on the leading edge of the hood? :odd:
http://img263.imageshack.us/img263/5250/spied2009fordmustangvc9.jpg

I bet they are testing the new Boss 302 as a future mustang variant that sites between the Shelby and the GT.

^ That is an interesting way to look at it, but it isn't as though the "302" would be all that much larger than the current 4.6L V8. Sure, it will probably require some minor retoolings under the hood, as I recall there isn't a whole lot of space to play with, however they have already built quite a few prototypes using the new "cammer" 302 from Ford Racing.

...We'll see I suppose. I think we can all agree that the car needs a power boost, badly. If the Camaro is going to hit the streets with 345-370 BHP as a Z/28 and the Challenger R/T will be hitting the streets with 340-350 BHP, a lowly Mustang is going to need at least an extra 25-30 BHP, taking into consideration the weight advantage it will have.

It's called a cooling prototype. They stick the new front half on the current chassis to see what the airflow to the engine is like, etc. Much cheaper to build and easier to camoflauge than a full prototype.

Hmmmm... they really do have to remodel that front end, anyway, to get better airflow out of the engine bay and lower under-hood air pressure... and hopefully bring the cd numbers down a bit.

The Guigaro styling isn't half-bad, and would make a neat looking Mustang, despite its BMW 6-ish nature, it's not a slavish ripoff of anything else.

Update!

5541.jpg

Brenda Priddy caught this new prototype somewhere out in the wilderness (looks like snow, must be Michigan...?), looks like there are changes coming. This I've noticed:

- The headlights are different
- The grille is larger, more open
- The rear is sitting quite high, room for new IRS?
- "Convertible" top looks like a cover for a new roofline
- Rear bumper looks a bit larger as well, styled more like the later '60s and early '70s Mustang?

hmmmmm....

The car looks larger overall, meaning that the Camaro and Challenger probably won't be heavy compared to it. But that looks like an authentic 'vert to me.

Back