Ford revives plans for Hemi-fighter

• Thread starter BMWteamPTG
  • 33 comments
Ford has resumed development of its Hemi-fighting V8, which was put on hold a year ago. Ford Americas group chief Mark Fields is said to be the driving force behind the decision to revive the project, according to the Detroit News. The 6.2-liter “Hurricane” motor will likely debut in the F-150 pickup, but could be used elsewhere. Chrysler uses its 6.1 liter Hemi in the Jeep Grand Cherokee, Dodge Magnum, Chrysler 300, and Dodge Charger. GM has a new 6.2 liter V8 for the 2007 Escalade and Yukon.

Finally, a Hemi can be beaten by a Ford...or can it???

BMWteamPTG
Finally, a Hemi can be beaten by a Ford...or can it???

In a word, yes. Ford will out perform a Hemi--and it won't be that difficult because Hemis aren't all that to begin with. The new 6.2 V8 for GM is a good rendition but it won't be in many models. I rather like the name "Hurricane" that Ford's throwing around. 👍

ND4SPD
I'd love to see one of those in a Crown Vic!

Me too, that would automatically entitle it with a "Muscle Car" label in my opinion. Imagine how much faster the Police Interceptor P71 versions would be...:drool:

I'm happy to hear that Ford finially decided to join the rest of the American Auto Industry and build a high-power OHV V8 once again. But, given that Ford's V8s are generally unreliable, underpowered, and less fuel efficent than the rest of the GM and DCX lineup, we will wait and see what happens.

...There is a good chance this motor would be the flagship powerplant in the new RWD sedan Ford has been hinting at for some time as well...

Real Hemi=/=Modern Chrysler Badging

Real Hemi's purportedly offered better combustion efficiency (which is evidenced by top fuel dragsters using actual hemi heads) modern Hemi's are just a badge with a vaguely similar valve layout, nothing more.

At least they still sound pretty cool.

Here's hoping for a 6.2 Falcon!

Onikaze
Real Hemi=/=Modern Chrysler Badging
Real Hemi's purportedly offered better combustion efficiency (which is evidenced by top fuel dragsters using actual hemi heads) modern Hemi's are just a badge with a vaguely similar valve layout, nothing more.
Here's how I look at it:
Real Hemi=/=Porsche Boxer engine.
Which is why I thought Ford was building an engine to, I kid you not, go against Porsche, before I thought about Chrysler.
So, my opinion? They don't need it, and can't afford the development of it. Boring out the modular 5.4 would do fine, and could very easily produce 400-450 BHP from 5.7-5.8 liters. Remember, it had 385 in the SVT Cobra R and Falcon FPV GT through somewhat-basic tuning.
Also, it wouldn't fit in the Crown Vic. They had trouble getting the Mustang engine in the Marauder, so this will be impossible unless they change the engine mounts or raise the hood to rediculous proportions. Imagine what it would do in a Marauder though!

Toronado

Also, it wouldn't fit in the Crown Vic. They had trouble getting the Mustang engine in the Marauder, so this will be impossible unless they change the engine mounts or raise the hood to rediculous proportions. Imagine what it would do in a Marauder though!
You sure about that? I've seen pics of a Crown Vic P71 buildup with a supercharged ford V10 in it, it seemed to fit quite well.

ND4SPD
You sure about that? I've seen pics of a Crown Vic P71 buildup with a supercharged ford V10 in it, it seemed to fit quite well.
Myself
impossible unless they change the engine mounts

I've seen Crown Vic's with NA Propane V10's, 351 Clevelands and Mustang 5.0's. It's simply not cost-worthy for Ford to change the engine points on every single car they sell with said engine. That's part of the reason why the Marauder failed (that, and being terminally slow for a "high performance tie to the past"). The cam's of the SOHC 4.6 from the Mustang would not fit without manipulation to the engine and engine mounts.

Poverty
What was so good about the hemis in the first place?

Nothing really to spectacular. They were some of the first truely high-performance V8s to come out of the '50s, and by the late '60s, they were some of the most powerful street engines that you could buy. But even then, the Chevrolet 427 (later 454) and Ford 427 were generally as good as the HEMI 426, but it can also be argued that the 440 Six-Pack was better than the 426 HEMI...

Its just a classic nameplate from American history played up by DCX in order to sell cars and trucks. The new OHV 5.7L and 6.1L HEMI engines really arent better than it's OHV Chevrolet competition, but I would dare to say that they are FAR better than the options available from Ford at the moment.

Hemi's were kind of the skyline gtr of the muscle car era. In reality they weren't horribly great but they had immense potential if tuned and modified.

Poverty
What was so good about the hemis in the first place?
The main thing about HEMI's of the 60's was that they revved. With the exception of the NASCAR style Ford 427 (and maybe the Chevy 454), no other American large displacement engine of the period would willingly rev to redline. The problem was that it was far heavier than the 440-6, and typically cost as much as the car you were buying it with. Think Mercedes 6.5L Twin-Turbo V12 crossed with a Nissan RB26DETT and Viper 8.3L V10 and your surprisingly close. Richer people bought it because it was far more refined than the 440-6 (which was basically a truck engine), and racers bought it because it had rediculous performance potential (it was rumored to have produced more than 500 BHP stock, and could be bored out to past 500 cu. in reliably). The 440-6 had more torque and was reliable almost to a fault, and was cheaper than hell. The 426 had far more power (similar to the original Camaro 302 when compared to the SS396).

I still wonder if DCX is going to build one more "super" HEMI to compete with the Chevrolet LS7. Now that they are down 80HP on Chevy and will soon be down 50HP on Ford (S/C 5.4L V8), something is going to need to be done.

hemi refers to the hemispherical combustion chamber (dome shaped). this resulted in better swirl = better atomization = more power. also the design in the head allowed the spark plug to be centered with larger valves on either side allowing for more air and fuel into the chamber. almost all modern cars these days have a similar design but not a true hemisphercial geometry. chrysler trademarked the term "Hemi" so only they can use it.

Z32
hemi refers to the hemispherical combustion chamber (dome shaped). this resulted in better swirl = better atomization = more power. also the design in the head allowed the spark plug to be centered with larger valves on either side allowing for more air and fuel into the chamber. almost all modern cars these days have a similar design but not a true hemisphercial geometry. chrysler trademarked the term "Hemi" so only they can use it.
Didn't the AE86 Corolla's have a hemispherical combustion chamber too? Not sure, I swear I saw it somewhere. Then again most cars of today usually do use a type of hemisperical combustion chamber layout but not as extreme as chrysler's original Hemi, so I'm pretty sure there are quite a few out there with a slightly similar layout.

It's been about a year and I haven't heard a thing from Ford about the Hurricane/Boss V8.

Granted, there are non production cars out there (FR500?) with what I guess is a Boss V8, but when will we see it in a production car?

If I recall correctly, the V8 that showed-up in the BOSS 302 prototype was a spin-off of the Hurricane project, and should be available to the public soon. I just wish they would have made it a production model...

Well, the original plan was for this V8 to start on 2008 models. We should see it soon. Now the question is: what cars does Ford have that would make this engine worthwhile?

If I recall correctly, the V8 that showed-up in the BOSS 302 prototype was a spin-off of the Hurricane project, and should be available to the public soon. I just wish they would have made it a production model...
The BOSS 302 prototype was a beefed up 5.0 block for drag and circuit racers.

Wikipedia says the the Hurricane/Boss V8 will be OHC and around 6.2 liters, so I think they are different, despite sharing a name.
Well, the original plan was for this V8 to start on 2008 models. We should see it soon. Now the question is: what cars does Ford have that would make this engine worthwhile?
I think some Lincoln products could benefit from a more powerful V8. Like the expected Lincoln LS replacement. (aka MKR concept) Hopefully we will see something like the Interceptor also make production.

Well, given that Ford doesn't plan on debuting a new RWD chassis until 2010, we've got a while to see this engine in production. The only current models that would be able to take it would likely be the Mustang and the F150/Expedition group. However, I could see the engine program being 'watered down' to make a smaller-displacement V8 for the Mustang and the truck-line, as the big 6.2 would really only fit well into a select few models.

...Until then, I'm keeping my eggs in the GM LS-series basket. They've been doing it the longest, and by-far, they've been doing it the best...

I guess Jaguar or Land Rover could benefit, but the Crown Vic is the only car sporting a blue oval worthy of a huge V8, IMO.

Ford really needs to stuff a better motor in its higher end F150 trucks. The 5.4L is rather weak I think. I'll be looking forward to a 6.2L V8 in a Ford...and preferably in the next Mustang GT.

Wait. Ford? Beating the Hemi?

Where have I heard that before....

70boss429eng2.jpg

427%20CAMMERsm.jpg

It's Total Performance all over again. maybe.

Besides, the Chevrolet Gen IV is the current benchmark, why not aim for that?

Wait, is it OHV or OHC?

I was excited at the thought of a new OHV production engine (which, for the record would fit fine in a Vic) since they tend to be more compact than similar displacement OHC engines.

Given the whole "guts in the valley" as opposed to sitting on the heads thing, it makes sense when you think about it.

As far as displacement to size goes, the LS7 is a pretty small engine, but again, it's OHV.

Wait, is it OHV or OHC?

I was excited at the thought of a new OHV production engine (which, for the record would fit fine in a Vic) since they tend to be more compact than similar displacement OHC engines.

Given the whole "guts in the valley" as opposed to sitting on the heads thing, it makes sense when you think about it.

As far as displacement to size goes, the LS7 is a pretty small engine, but again, it's OHV.

I agree, it would be nice to see Ford have a new OHV block in production.

But, according to wikipedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ford_Boss_engine), the engine will be a lot like a modular. That means some good things--the modular bottom-end is quite stout--and some not so good things, like the increased size as you mentioned. Also Ford really doesn't have any good flowing Modular heads. The DOHC heads are good, but those are massive.

It was my understanding that the 'Hurricane' V8 was supposed to be an OHV unit to reduce production costs and thereby increase reliability, but I wouldn't be overly surprised if they chickened-out and went OHC again... Shooting themselves in the feet while doing so...

If they went DOHC then they could hook up with Honda and design an i-VTEC system. Imagine the power you'd gain because that big of an engine would suck a ton of air!

If they went DOHC then they could hook up with Honda and design an i-VTEC system. Imagine the power you'd gain because that big of an engine would suck a ton of air!

I seriously doubt Honda'd let Ford have their signature Variable Valve Timing system.

Back