Format!

Good lord!

I just reformatted my computer and fit it with all the drivers I had before.

My 3dmark03 score jumped from a MAXIMUM (before format) of 1158 to a staggering 1559! (To me it's staggering ok?)

Would a fresh format have this big of an impact?

halfracedrift
Good lord!

I just reformatted my computer and fit it with all the drivers I had before.

My 3dmark03 score jumped from a MAXIMUM (before format) of 1158 to a staggering 1559! (To me it's staggering ok?)

Would a fresh format have this big of an impact?
Your old drivers probably weren't instaled properly.Plus, your Hard Drive was probably fragmented, dirty, spyware and mal-ware ridden. Formats help wonders. I'm gonna format in a couple of days. I'll post my 3dmark scores.

Event, not sure if you know this already.. but when you format, split only a small portion to your OS drive (of all the space that you have, ie: a 80 gb hdd, 10 gb go to the OS)

I find that this helps retrain me from installing too much crap, as well as storing all my important data on the other drive. Also speeds up reformats too if you ever need them. :)

I think you're most likely right.. The previous OS lasted me for a few years.. So I think it's safe to say it's ... screwed.

halfracedrift
Event, not sure if you know this already.. but when you format, split only a small portion to your OS drive (of all the space that you have, ie: a 80 gb hdd, 10 gb go to the OS)

I find that this helps retrain me from installing too much crap, as well as storing all my important data on the other drive. Also speeds up reformats too if you ever need them. :)

I think you're most likely right.. The previous OS lasted me for a few years.. So I think it's safe to say it's ... screwed.
Even if you do do that, a full format does a computer good every once and a while. I haven't formatted it in a LONG while, so I really need to... :indiff:

I haven't formatted in 3 months, so my computer is probably fragmented, dirty, spyware and malware ridden. Sorry to steal your phrase there Kev.

Dad'd lynch me if I did another full format though, so... :indiff:

I have to do something soon, though, My HD only has 1GB of space left on it. I was down to literally 1mb of space at one point. :grumpy:

I format mine every 3 months. Its been roughly 3 since my last format, looks like I'm overdue ..

Two drives: One for OS, programs, and games, second for everything else - photography, photoshop, program installation files, mp3's, etc.

I usually reformat when I feel the need to. This usually ends up being once every 3 months. I always keep an eye on what i'm installing and what's currently running. Clean any excess garbage, defrag here and there and it should lengthen the time between reformats.

antihero
Two drives: One for OS, programs, and games, second for everything else - photography, photoshop, program installation files, mp3's, etc.
I have 2 partitions like that, but unfortunately, it's just too damn slow moving things between drives... When I format (maybe tomorrow) I will just have 1 partition. I did like the organization, though... :grumpy:

Back