OF LAPS

CIRCUIT LENGTH
7.004KM

RACE DISTANCE
308.052KM

LAP
RECORD

1:46.577 BY SEBASTIAN VETTEL (2017)

Finally, back from vacation! Let's see what all that team swapping did in the minds of the drivers.

For the lazy those who haven't kept up, who's moved where?

Spa is usually a good race. No training this Sunday so I'll be able to watch it for a change.

For the lazy those who haven't kept up, who's moved where?

Spa is usually a good race. No training this Sunday so I'll be able to watch it for a change.
Ricciardo has signed with Renault

Sainz has signed with McLaren

A coalition of investors led by Laurence Stroll have bought Force India. The team has been renamed “Racing Point Force India”. The rename means that all constructors points earned as Force India are forfeit, meaning the newly minted RPFI are last in the constructors championship on zero points.

From what I could gather during all the back and forth over the purchase of the team, it was efforts from McLaren, Williams, and Renault which basically forced the rename and subsequent forfeiting of constructors points. For the rename to happen and the team keep the points, all 9 other teams would have had to agree, and from what I’ve read, the 3 teams I mentioned wouldn’t allow it to happen.

Williams are no longer last in the constructors...for now :lol:

So, anyone think the 919 Evo's "record" laptime will be broken in qualifying?

I will be disappointed if Bottas doesn't get a meaningful penalty for the incident with the McLaren. The FIA seems to be so easy in terms of giving the Mercs penalties this year.

This is Kimi's race this weekend. Time for him to finally bookend his career and get that final win at the track he's so good at.

I will be disappointed if Bottas doesn't get a meaningful penalty for the incident with the McLaren. The FIA seems to be so easy in terms of giving the Mercs penalties this year.
If he gets a penalty it will be a grid penalty. As he already starts from the back of the pack it will be a non-impact penalty.

Great Q3! Personally I think being on P1 is more difficult than being on P2 at Spa (not that I've ever done it), the lead car is a sitting duck down on the long run after Eau Rouge. A good session for Point India Force Racing v2, not sure where AMRBR's pace goes in the wet now.

Great Q3! Personally I think being on P1 is more difficult than being on P2 at Spa (not that I've ever done it), the lead car is a sitting duck down on the long run after Eau Rouge. A good session for Point India Force Racing v2, not sure where AMRBR's pace goes in the wet now.

They had a low downforce package, so there is no pace when the rain comes because they lack the down force that usually makes them strong in the rain/wet.

Kimi and Vettel both set new track records respectively! That, and seeing rain mix things up is why I try to never miss a qualifying if I can.

I really want to see an overlay of the Porsche 919 Evo and Vettel's new record breaking lap. It was what, only a difference of like 0.2s, but it probably will be evident where speed is gained/lost between the two very different cars.

They had a low downforce package, so there is no pace when the rain comes because they lack the down force that usually makes them strong in the rain/wet.

That surprises me given that they're at Belgium in August (same as England, expect rain every day) and only 300 miles from the factory. Added to that... nobody else seemed to have difficulty dialling wing on. I think it has more to do with their high rake and the effect of heavy spray beneath it, as the car moves up and down you can see a cushion of squashy wet air blobbling around under the rear at low/medium speeds. At higher speeds the car is in a more 'natural' position so the effect seems less.

That surprises me given that they're at Belgium in August (same as England, expect rain every day) and only 300 miles from the factory. Added to that... nobody else seemed to have difficulty dialling wing on. I think it has more to do with their high rake and the effect of heavy spray beneath it, as the car moves up and down you can see a cushion of squashy wet air blobbling around under the rear at low/medium speeds. At higher speeds the car is in a more 'natural' position so the effect seems less.

They brought what they brought, skinny rear and front wings to have some speed for the longer parts to compete with the two ahead of them. I'm sure they checked the forecasts and what not and their predictor may have had them alright, with rain to come after quali. Also others have just as significant of rake and were fine, just listing what was said thus far. I'm sure RBR will give a more in depth explanation.

They brought what they brought, skinny rear and front wings to have some speed for the longer parts to compete with the two ahead of them. I'm sure they checked the forecasts and what not and their predictor may have had them alright, with rain to come after quali.

Maybe so, but if you're from round here (ie this part of Europe at this time of year) then you expect rain at pretty much any time in any afternoon. Yesterday's weather said it would rain today (as expected) and it's a couple of hours (max) in a chopper from their factory to the track. With that said maybe it would make little difference, Hungary was a big shock to them when they expected a good wet-weather performance.

It seems other teams still aren't considered "high-rake" (although several have increased the amount this year) and even Red Bull seem to think different teams are running different levels. Not sure why you think they're all the same, you can clearly see on a shot of the start grid that they aren't.

Ricciardo was actually running a higher-downforce wing setup and then abandoned it for the lower-drag setup that Verstappen had (but in the end didn't seem quite comfortable with it). I bet he regrets not keeping it now, considering it probably would have helped in the rain.

Maybe so, but if you're from round here (ie this part of Europe at this time of year) then you expect rain at pretty much any time in any afternoon. Yesterday's weather said it would rain today (as expected) and it's a couple of hours (max) in a chopper from their factory to the track. With that said maybe it would make little difference, Hungary was a big shock to them when they expected a good wet-weather performance.

It seems other teams still aren't considered "high-rake" (although several have increased the amount this year) and even Red Bull seem to think different teams are running different levels. Not sure why you think they're all the same, you can clearly see on a shot of the start grid that they aren't.

I never claimed they were the same I'm claiming that rake is probably not the issue alone, and that others run a high amount of rake relative to the general setup and yet were fine.

It seems to be an issue of RBR setting up the car overall in a way that would benefit them as best possible for a dry run, and when the rain came they probably didn't have the time to undo nearly as much of it compared to other teams that were perhaps more adaptable to it. Also as you said this wasn't the first time this season they have had issues.

not sure where AMRBR's pace goes in the wet now.

For today, it was simple - the rain stopped with 5 minutes left, so the last cars on hot laps had the best of the conditions. By that point the RBRs had run out of fuel; they didn't have time to refuel and put another lap in.

Force Daddy should create a nice blockade tomorrow to allow Vettel and Hamilton to finally have it out.

Force Daddy should create a nice blockade tomorrow to allow Vettel and Hamilton to finally have it out.

I think Kimi should be able to make moves against them, but others will probably have to figure out strategy to leap frog. Cause even in the dry the FI had decent pace.

Fun quali session to watch. Really disappointed that we didn’t get to see Kimi have a final go, but I’m ecstatic for FI and specifically for Ocon. With all the goings on of the silly season and the uncertainty surrounding his future, I don’t think he could have asked for a better quali result. Hopefully both the pink cars can convert their grid position into strong results.

Edit: did RPFI set a record for qualifying result in a debut for a team?

Back