Formula 1 2018 Rolex British Grand PrixFormula 1 

• Thread starter Jimlaad43
  • 327 comments

Jimlaad43

GeoGuessr God
Premium
United Kingdom
United Kingdom
Formula 1 returns to the circuit that hosted the first ever F1 race, Silverstone. After the enthralling Austrian Grand Prix, Silverstone will have a lot to live up to, but the thrilling corners will ensure the spectacle still exists, regardless of the action. A new DRS zone has been added along the startline, which could see drivers taking the first two corners flat out with DRS open. Will this allow for more overtaking, or just lead to massive crashes? The only way to find out is to watch the British Grand Prix...
35999819_1195409160599698_5701921783859380224_n.jpg

Silverstone Circuit
First Grand Prix

Number
of Laps

Circuit Length
5.891KM

Race Distance
306.198KM

Lap
Record

1:30.621 by Lewis Hamilton (2017)

Thu 05 Jul – Sun 08 Jul 2018
Practice 1 10:00 – 11:30
Practice 2 14:00 – 15:30
Practice 3 11:00 – 12:00
Qualifying 14:00 – 15:00
Race 14:10 – 16:10

Should be a cracking race. Also around 28 degrees down Silverstone this weekend, tyres will be a big factor i reckon, no rain forecast at all, the atmosphere will be buzzing, gutted i cant afford it this year !

Yeah that's a point. Tyres here are soft, medium and super hard. Rumour is that Pirelli tested with the new supersofts at Silverstone and they fell apart after 3 laps. We'll see how the nice weather treats the harder tyres.

Well hoping it's a good race weekend and after the disappointment at Red Bull Ring from Mercedes I am sure Lewis will be on fire
to do well at the home grand prix.

Silverstone is a nice circuit watching the GP on TV so hopefully it keeps the momentum going from last week as this is by far the
best season I have watched in all my years of F1.

I thought during the French GP they kept saying that France hosted the first F1 race, at Le Mans, and it took 12 hours. Wasn’t Silverstone the first race in the World Championship, not the first F1 race ever?

Also why is there 3 drs zones but only 2 detection points?

And they goofed again, the detection point for the zone down the Wellington Straight is before 2 overtaking corners....so we could end up with the classic, “get the move done first, then use DRS to pull away.” Doubtful, but hopefully that gets sorted for the race.

I thought during the French GP they kept saying that France hosted the first F1 race, at Le Mans, and it took 12 hours. Wasn’t Silverstone the first race in the World Championship, not the first F1 race ever?

Also why is there 3 drs zones but only 2 detection points?

And they goofed again, the detection point for the zone down the Wellington Straight is before 2 overtaking corners....so we could end up with the classic, “get the move done first, then use DRS to pull away.” Doubtful, but hopefully that gets sorted for the race.
France held the first race titled a "Grand Prix". Silverstone hosted the first race of Formula 1

The first Grand Prix to use Formula 1 regulations was the Turin Grand Prix in 1946.

France held the first race titled a "Grand Prix".

Indeed, back in 1906. It seems like the commentators may have conflated a lot of different hysterical historical facts.

Oh dear, it would appear that England kick off at 3 on Saturday. Think I will have to record qualifying to watch after, at least the Wimbledon final isn’t clashing with the race this year I suppose.

Oh dear, it would appear that England kick off at 3 on Saturday. Think I will have to record qualifying to watch after, at least the Wimbledon final isn’t clashing with the race this year I suppose.

It should be available on All4 catchup too.

Silverstone will be showing the England game on a few TV screens around the circuit in Entertainment zones if you're there and don't want to miss it.

Silverstone will be showing the England game on a few TV screens around the circuit in Entertainment zones if you're there and don't want to miss it.
God, can you imagine the scenes if England win and Lewis gets pole and the win...

Enjoy the race (& soccer) weekend!

Haha Lewis asking about the penalty for skipping the interview this afternoon because he must watch the game.

Indeed also very curious about the novelty curvy DRS zone.

Got here nice and early, FP1 starts in 30 mins.

View attachment 749348 View attachment 749349

A couple of GP3's have spun at Abbey already, couldn't see if they had DRS open or not.
Have fun, and bring us the juicy details we won't see on TV :cheers:

-Max the first driver who tried the new DRS Curve with a lot of (floorboard) fireworks. Although not at 100% yet (as said by reporter).

-Magnussen and Alonso both complain about each other. Not giving space and dangerous braking of Mag and holding off Alo...That was a bit too much 'Alpha guy'.

-New asphalt and very bouncy/bumpy

-Ouch hard impact crash Grosjean, he's ok. Probable cause a wobbly piece of track.

- Nice backwards hillclimb of Kimi

- 4 minutes before end of FP1 Max had to stop the car (gearbox)

Last edited:
I wonder if the FIA will ditch that new DRS zone?

DK
I wonder if the FIA will ditch that new DRS zone?
Why?

Not sure if all drivers already tested with DRS open during FP1. Most of them did and only Grosjean crashed (and indeed not sure if DRS or a hobble or anything else caused it?)

Back