Formula 1 2018 Rolex British Grand PrixFormula 1 

• Thread starter Jimlaad43
  • 327 comments
Ok now I really want to find some footage of Alonso and KMags after the SC. Someone could do a highlight package of just the two of them over the whole weekend :lol:

Edit:
Found an onboard from Fernando. Seems the Spaniard overtook the Dane 3 times in the race :lol: The video doesn’t show the 3rd overtake, but it does show Kevin’s defensive driving

Last edited:
Ok now I really want to find some footage of Alonso and KMags after the SC. Someone could do a highlight package of just the two of them over the whole weekend :lol:

Edit:
Found an onboard from Fernando. Seems the Spaniard overtook the Dane 3 times in the race :lol: The video doesn’t show the 3rd overtake, but it does show Kevin’s defensive driving

I love these duels, if only Alonso wasn't so arrogant and felt so entitled it could be an epic f1 pair.

It was very funny to see that Hamiilton was dead last facing the wrong way on lap 1, but was already 6th about 14 laps after that. He walked through the field, it's a little sad that the top 6 are so much faster than everyone else no one even bothers to try and defend them, not even Alonso. It really is 2 tier racing, almost to the extent it was in the old turbo era. On paper it seems way more incredible than it actually was.

I am a little upset that there was a lot of action in the midfield all race that we never really got to see any of. The race directors were too focused on the front where there was little action until the safety cars.

IIRC it took him 11 laps to get 6th. It's like he was playing Gran Turismo.
We see it every weekend, the top 6 qualify almost a second ahead of everyone else. Riccy qualified in 6th and he didn’t even have DRS.
Then in the race (if there are no issues) usually before the first stop they are a pitstop ahead of everyone else.

I guess it’s an improvement though, was it 2015? when Rosberg flat spotted both fronts at T1 in Russia and still finished second...
I really hope that the new engine rules and simpler/less expensive rules come into effect. We need the mid field to be able to win races now and then. If you told someone that a Sauber almost beat a Ferrari for the win not so long ago, they’d probably laugh...

Gasly has been given a 5 second penalty for contact with Perez in the Vale Chicane on the final lap. The contact is basically what allowed Gasly to complete the move

https://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/gasly-loses-silverstone-point-collision-perez-1057827/

Interesting that this contact is worth a 5 second penalty, but Max’s contact with Kimi last race in Austria was not a penalty.

Another thing I didn’t notice until checking some replays...Max gained track position by going off the circuit on lap 1, again. He didn’t take a blatant short cut this time, but come on...use the paved run off to avoid accidents, ok, I can live with that. But drivers should not be allowed to make up positions off the circuit, and it’s race control who needs to be on top of it enough to sort things out properly. At this rate, they might as well not even bother with the circuit on lap 1 - just put a traffic cone down at the far end of the facility, tell them, “right, get down there, round the cone, back up here, then start bothering with the fiddly bits between the lines.”

I think the FIA need to review how and when these penalties get applied, the punishment should be worse than the crime for a start. The introduction of the 5s / 10s penalties were heralded since a drive through penalty was the lowest penalty available and was often overly harsh for the incident itself. But these days it seems to be the other way around, with only time penalties being applied for any collision. Verstappen ruined Vettel's race in China and finished ahead of him after his penalty - Vettel ran into Bottas in France and finished ahead of him after his penalty - Raikkonen spins Hamilton and was initially ahead of Hamilton after his penalty. Although in each case the driver at fault did lose positions from their penalty, the other driver ended up worse off.

The Gasly penalty after the race was much more effective in giving a penalty worthy of the incident, and as noted above I think a 5 second penalty for Verstappen's contact with Raikkonen was also needed.

Gasly has been given a 5 second penalty for contact with Perez in the Vale Chicane on the final lap. The contact is basically what allowed Gasly to complete the move

https://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/gasly-loses-silverstone-point-collision-perez-1057827/

Interesting that this contact is worth a 5 second penalty, but Max’s contact with Kimi last race in Austria was not a penalty.

Without reading the FIA ruling, it looks like the two incidences where quite different.
Max touched Kimi, but didn't force him off track it also created no damage as it was tyre to tyre. They were along side though the corner complex rather than linking the stamp and sending it in. I'm not sure I agree with the penalty, but there was a fair difference between the two.

I think the FIA need to review how and when these penalties get applied, the punishment should be worse than the crime for a start. The introduction of the 5s / 10s penalties were heralded since a drive through penalty was the lowest penalty available and was often overly harsh for the incident itself. But these days it seems to be the other way around, with only time penalties being applied for any collision.

I agree. What about fixed-place penalties (i.e. 3-place finishing position drop), or Coulthard's suggestion that the offending car should drop behind the 'victim' on track? Discuss :D

I agree. What about fixed-place penalties (i.e. 3-place finishing position drop), or Coulthard's suggestion that the offending car should drop behind the 'victim' on track? Discuss :D
To be honest, I think both incidents (Vettel on Bottas and Kimi on Lewis) should have resulted in drive through penalties. But it is what it is and I can understand why they were given time penalties instead, again perhaps this is linked to the fact that F1 has become almost a 2 tier sport.

But then this application of the rules is inherently difficult and somewhat unique to motor-sports.

So, Mrs. Kimi Raikkonen has offered Hamilton some advice about losing. I would say listen to her. With her husband having lost 105 races in a row, she is maybe even a little overqualified on the subject.

http://www.espn.com/f1/story/_/id/2...-lewis-hamilton-takes-ballet-silverstone-jibe
Lewis and Mercedes should apologise for their comments. They really are idiots if they believe that Kimi and Lewis's coming together was done on purpose.

Kimi took the first opportunity he had to admit to the error and to agree that the penalty he got was justified. Hamilton, on the other hand, stormed off :rolleyes:

Very interesting to see in here that there is very little criticism of Hamilton's accusations which are actually pretty disgraceful. At least one poster seams to back Hamilton. It is not interesting or surprising to see his fans lap that BS up and parrot it on social media.

Personally I think the FIA should look at the “Coultard idea”, which is used a lot in Aussi Supercars. Most racing incedents, like a bump and run (Max vs Kimi, Gasly vs Perez) are addressed by the race director simply telling the offending driver to give the position back, none of this time penalty applied 3 hours after the race nonsense.

If it’s a major infraction, then go with large time penalties, or drive throughs. I think both Max vs Kimi and Gasly vs Perez are two perfect examples where a simple redress of positions would be the best way to ensure the racing was fair and clean

Regarding the difference between Max/Kimi, and Gasly Perez - I don’t really see it as much different. Max/Kimi was wheel to wheel, but it was Max’s front wheel on kimi’s rear wheel - that’s like kicking someone’s foot while you’re walking behind them....doesn’t matter if it’s foot to foot, they’re going to stumble. To me, either they’re both penalties, where the offending driver just simply needs to give the position back, or neither are penalties.

Lewis and Mercedes should apologise for their comments. They really are idiots if they believe that Kimi and Lewis's coming together was done on purpose.

Kimi took the first opportunity he had to admit to the error and to agree that the penalty he got was justified. Hamilton, on the other hand, stormed off :rolleyes:
I'm kinda glad he did and said what he felt... and I'm kinda the same with Mercedes.
We have two 4x World Champions fighting for their 5th title respectively and they are both insanely driven to achieve it. Vettel last year calling Charlie Whiting all kinds of four letter words and literally driving into the side of Lewis. And this year we have Lewis kicking off.

Christ, what we want are fireworks! We want passion, we want two guys at the top of their sport with two teams at the top of their sport fighting it out-tooth and nail for the highest achievement single seater racing has to offer!

Christ, what we want are fireworks! We want passion, we want two guys at the top of their sport with two teams at the top of their sport fighting it out-tooth and nail for the highest achievement single seater racing has to offer!
I agree completely, but I draw the line at making false accusations. Lewis should let his driving do the talking, and so should his team.

I agree completely, but I draw the line at making false accusations. Lewis should let his driving do the talking, and so should his team.
I agree, but if we have the between emotionally mute and fireworks with dumb **** said in the heat of things, I'll take the fireworks every time.

They are both only human after all and I'm glad our world champs are in a position where they can do and say how they feel in the heat of things.

Edit: I can't speak to what Mercedes said... that was just silly

I have no problem with the drivers saying whatever dumb things come out of their mouth in the heat of the moment, with the line being drawn at taking back to the officials like Seb did in Mexico.

For senior team members to start making accusations like that though, that’s just rediculous, a show of very poor sportsmanship.

I’m not too fussed about the whole thing, I think it’s kind of crappy how the after race chatter has become the primary topic on most F1 sites, instead of discussing the actual race, or other participants in the race like Alonso, Magnussen, Max, Daniel, Hulk, Perez, Gasly, etc.

To sum it up though, I think Mintu Raikkonen had the best line of all. “If you’re going to cry when you lose, go do ballet.” :lol:

So, Mrs. Kimi Raikkonen has offered Hamilton some advice about losing. I would say listen to her. With her husband having lost 105 races in a row, she is maybe even a little overqualified on the subject.

http://www.espn.com/f1/story/_/id/2...-lewis-hamilton-takes-ballet-silverstone-jibe

Did you drink too much beer? Seriously you are wrong on so many points. And your framing is completely xxxx.

I will not even try to tell you the true story. Just believe what you want. My prof. ones said that he doesnt argue with people who are talking ****. He just tells them that they are right and goes on. So

"You are right mate"

Last edited by a moderator:
http://www.espn.co.uk/f1/story/_/id/24047215/mercedes-looking-blame-wrong-places

Ill go so far as saying Kimi didnt deserve 10sec, it was race accident. Im tired of all the penalties all over as soon as they race each other and touch. That is just Mercedes divas again, as soon as there is competition there will be contact. Its one thing if they were not racing for first corner and could do a lap as qualified before others could pass...but now its just silly, they race for first corner and Lewis was slow. Look at when Merc were unbeatable but had a internal rivalary with Ham vs Ros...that was as hot as it is now. Senna vs Prost...was insane!
Hope they let them race and not just with more DRS zones. No one wants to crash out, but it should be clear if you get a chance you can take it.

Finally some higher quality footage of Alonso and Magnussen

Again though, the fact this wasn’t picked up by trackside cameras and broadcast during the race is a very poor showing by the race director and broadcast team. I get that the live shots will follow the leaders on the final lap, but at least get a replay of this in before the end of the show. Look to Aussie Supercars for how to capture action from one end of the field to the other.

Anyways...thoughts on Magnussen’s defence? I’ve said for a while now that I like his aggression, but he does cross the line quite often. He put his race into Fernando’s hands, and were it a lesser driver in that orange McLaren, KMag probably would have ended up with a crash and a DNF like his teammate.

Fernando is wrong about having never seen anything like it before in his life though....he’s had a front row seat before, twice :P

Magnussen got a penalty in Spa, but not at Silverstone. Typical consistency.

And the false accusations of "Oh Mercedes got the FIA to favor them on the tire switch" only for testing in Bahrain to happen and the Vettel to say "I guess the FIA made the right call, and also Merc weren't the only team to ask for this". For example out of a couple. I know some of us here have been watching F1 for many years, so this claim over the weekend made isn't surprising for the sport, nor new. And typically follows the mind game tactics that we see when two teams or more are in battle for a championship. Ferrari's 2012 claims quickly come to mind to.

So I guess my question is, why are people actually surprised and upset at the status quo? And why aren't they seeing this as teams being upset at best because of unlucky weekends? And at worst actually believing their rivals are out to get them? From what you've said I imagine other comments from other drivers making claims without merit equally has you upset.

Also just like Vettel apologized for his comments, Hamilton has also apologized for the comments about Ferrari.

Magnussen and Verstappen Defend very similar, allthough in this case I don't think Magnussen did anything wrong, he was on the racing line and Alonso came across after going wide.

It would be different if they where alongside through the corner.

Also just like Vettel apologized for his comments, Hamilton has also apologized for the comments about Ferrari.

Allowing us to focus on one of the best F1 races in recent time. This season, for me has been so far better than 2012, the stakes seem higher, this isn’t just who can win another title, but who can get their 5th first, in two very different cars that are pace wise very similar

That second push in the clip should probably be a penalty... as he squeezed Alonso into the apex. The first one is hard to call, as it is going towards the outside shoulder, and the FIA almost never penalizes that... though at the speeds they're going, KMag can't pretend that he was just drifting towards the outside kerb.

Very interesting to see in here that there is very little criticism of Hamilton's accusations which are actually pretty disgraceful. At least one poster seams to back Hamilton. It is not interesting or surprising to see his fans lap that BS up and parrot it on social media.

The post right before yours has a lot of likes. And some of us were already ridiculing him for it when he made the statement.

Bit daft... it's hard to lock up your tire just enough to spoil another driver's race without ruining your own... and Vettel would not have done that intentionally in the last race from the championship lead... not to take out Bottas, at least!

Back