Formula 1 2022-23 Off Season and TESTING ThreadFormula 1 

• Thread starter Jimlaad43
  • 331 comments
I can't find anything about this quite in the rules, since no site is actually pointing out the paragraph and section in question. Maybe it's proposed, because the FIA sporting regs don't show anything different.

FIA International Sporting Code, Article 12.2.1.n

(so says Autosport, I haven’t looked it up and they may not have published the revised version yet)

Autosport
A new Article 12.2.1.n states that drivers will be deemed to have committed a breach of the rules if they show "the general making and display of political, religious and personal statements or comments notably in violation of the general principle of neutrality promoted by the FIA under its Statutes, unless previously approved in writing by the FIA for International Competitions, or by the relevant ASN for National Competitions within their jurisdiction."

"So Lewis, how were the tyres?"

"I'm afraid I can't make personal statements or comments notably in violation of the general principle of neutrality promoted by the FIA under its Statutes as I don't have written permission."

"Oh. How's the balance of the car? Oversteer or understeer?"

"Neutral. I can't say otherwise..."

Etc.

FIA International Sporting Code, Article 12.2.1.n

(so says Autosport, I haven’t looked it up and they may not have published the revised version yet)

Of course, the publication that lets you read one paragraph and then you've got to pay for the rest...proves it's worth by actually doing that journalism thing.

12.1 deals with the Organization of Competitions, but there's no 12.2 (well, not yet) at this time.

Jeez, there's a lot of stupid stipulations to go with unnecessary rules. No wonder drivers need handlers and team principals are so miserable.

Last edited:
Roo
Possible way forward: driver spams the FIA with requests, then lets the world know what got approved, what didn't, and where.
Better yet, don't do that. Assuming they go down the fine/penalty point route, they could just have a GPDA meeting and time their infringements so we get to point where the entire grid takes a race ban and doesn't race 🤔.

Yeah I know it would never get to that but you know.

Better yet, don't do that. Assuming they go down the fine/penalty point route, they could just have a GPDA meeting and time their infringements so we get to point where the entire grid takes a race ban and doesn't race 🤔.

Yeah I know it would never get to that but you know.
I can't see Max getting on board with that, but I get what you mean.

Roo
"So Lewis, how were the tyres?"

"I'm afraid I can't make personal statements or comments notably in violation of the general principle of neutrality promoted by the FIA under its Statutes as I don't have written permission."

"Oh. How's the balance of the car? Oversteer or understeer?"

"Neutral. I can't say otherwise..."

Etc.
Futurama Whatever GIF

"Max is an indiscernible time distanced from you on the track and unspecified direction. If you want to pit for tires you should weigh the pros and cons and do a little soul searching before making a decision based solely on your own whims. If you pit you don't even have to put new tires on, but it's a valid consideration if you're in the mood, depending on unforeseeable other circumstances relating to an unspecified motorsport event occuring on or around this time frame..."

FIA were clearly watching the football and thought "Wait, you can just ban it? Great idea!"

So disappointing. Just another thing that makes me sad about the state for Fl these days.

I can't imagine they will have much success enforcing without some pretty big backlash.

I hope this has no impact and that the drivers continue to share their opinions and use their position to help raise awareness on issues they care about.

F1 should go back to Bernie Eccelstone's ownership.
Wouldn't make a difference, this is an FIA directive. You'd need to bring back Max Mosley :yuck:
F1 is obviously the highest profile part but this rule would apply to all FIA sanctioned events and drivers.

In happier news

can't be any worse than last year's dog of a car - need a proper Merc (and Ferrari) to make things interesting at the top

Last edited:
So disappointing. Just another thing that makes me sad about the state for Fl these days.

I can't imagine they will have much success enforcing without some pretty big backlash.

I hope this has no impact and that the drivers continue to share their opinions and use their position to help raise awareness on issues they care about.
What do you expect when your president is from some backwards middle eastern country?

They saw how FIFA completely caved to these ****holes. Greed will always win and it will always destroy anything it touches. I feel my time as an F1 fan is coming to a close. This sport is quickly turning into a total farce.

Last edited:
I feel my time as an F1 fan is coming to a close. This sport is quickly turning into a total farce.
Same here. The way things are going are not for the best of the sport. It has turned into another cashcow for shady shareholders and money grabbing dick wavers.

Same here. The way things are going are not for the best of the sport. It has turned into another cashcow for shady shareholders and money grabbing dick wavers.
It's been that for a while really... just now no one's bothering to try and obscure it anymore.

I cant see this race coming back this year, but you never know with F1.

Also, maybe there is hope for Andretti.

I don't want to be investigated by the gtp stewards for double posts to ill just edit this in too.

This was an interesting read on the F1 sub reddit. Translation in comments.

this part especially
Fernando Alonso's ultimate fear is none other than being stranded in the ditches of circuits more often than is reasonable. This was the black hole that cost him countless disappointments during his McLaren-Honda stint, or to a lesser, but equally painful extent, last year at Alpine. On six occasions he was stranded during 2022, and on at least four other occasions, the unreliability of his Renault-sourced engines affected his performance on as many weekends.
That's why, on the day of 22 November last year, he climbed into the Aston Martin AMR22 and asked his new engineer: "How many kilometres does this engine have? After a quick check by the technician, the racer heard in his headphones that about 6,000, the equivalent of about seven Grand Prix races with their corresponding training sessions. The Oviedo rider then suggested that he be fitted with one with less use; the engineer replied that it wouldn't be necessary, that the one he had purring behind his back was fine. The two-time champion wrinkled his nose and went out onto the track not entirely convinced, however, the used propellant did not falter at any time nor did it show any signs of doing so. That was the main reason for Alonso's sincere satisfaction as he stepped out of his new car: an unexpected reliability he had not enjoyed for years. The Renault engines he used in his final year at McLaren (2018) and the last two seasons in an Alpine were starting to show signs of fatigue after 2,000 kilometres. If we assume that during a full weekend with free practice on Friday, timed practice on Saturday and race on Sunday, an average of 800 kms is covered, it can be said that these engines barely made it to their fourth race alive. It seems that these engines were overheating, and Alonso noticed signs of this from one lap to the next when he noticed a drop in performance for no apparent reason, heralding a major failure in the immediate aftermath. In this way, the Oviedo driver used up to six engines in 2022.
Alonso's next stop will be to fight to receive the best engines from Mercedes. Each unit that leaves the Mercedes factory at Brixworth is packaged with a serial number and a specific recipient; the box is usually marked with the name of the driver who ends up using it. It's known that Mercedes keeps the units with the best bench test data, and then the second-tier ones go to Aston Martin. Of these, it is Lance Stroll who gets the most powerful ones, being the son of the boss. It's something they will all have to deal with.

Last edited:
Well, that would just be great. But only if GM builds the engine and not just as a badge on the car.

Well, that would just be great. But only if GM builds the engine and not just as a badge on the car.
from autosport

The potential team would initially receive a power unit supply from another engine manufacturer, but both Andretti and Cadillac are set to offer technical support as part of a collaboration.

Motorsport.com is saying that Honda would be the logical choice to partner with Andretti-Cadillac. That just seems weird to me.
Honda: "We're gonna be pulling out of the sport with immediacy."

Also Honda:

Emergence GIF by ABC Network

This is still an awesome announcement for Andretti. At this point I think it would say more about F1 and the sport as a whole if they still got denied after announcing a partnership like this.

Back