Formula 1 2022-23 Off Season and TESTING ThreadFormula 1 

• Thread starter Jimlaad43
  • 331 comments
Well, Cadillac being involved in F1 would give me a lot more incentive to actually watch F1. Tis a shame they can't put a naturally aspirated V-8 in the car like with their DPi and GTP prototypes. We'd have the best sounding F1 car in a long time.

The rival teams just keep moving the goal posts, now they want even more money for the anti-dilution fee. Greed and cowardice, this is embarrassing for F1.

One senior insider pointed out that $200m effectively compensates the other teams for just over two years' loss of prize money, and suggested that a figure closer to $600-700m - representing more like five years - would be more appropriate.

Teams are also arguing that $200m significantly undervalues an F1 entry spot - and point to the recent establishment of a new franchise in the North American ice hockey league, the NHL, which cost a group from Seattle a $650m 'expansion fee', another name for a dilution fee.

Last edited:
The rival teams just keep moving the goal posts, now they want even more money for the anti-dilution fee. Greed and cowardice, this is embarrassing for F1.

There's a lot more NHL teams than F1 teams so that's a moot point. American sports leagues usually hit a critical mass of around 26-32 teams and then there's arguments that the talent gets spread too thin, or there's too much parity in the middle (an argument that doesn't make much sense, but maybe it annoys gambling houses). Too many teams does cause an occasional franchise to change cities to fresh fans and greener pastures, but I figure that's just part of US sports teams for over a century.

There's only 10 teams in F1, which is silly. The FIA just doesn't want to lose any more teams because then it starts to look a little light. So the teams get more bargaining power than before, but in a good economy, there's some manufacturers looking for a way in.

The problems start when the economy starts looking rough, and maybe it becomes more of a garagiste entry system with a few grandees once again. We've had paddocks with 15-20 teams in the past (although entrants 19 and 20 were a little LEss proFessIonal, not saying any names). While the idea of an entrant having a third car to bulk up the fields sounds great in theory, the fear is that now only 4-5 teams could really afford to do that, which makes the teams' championship aspirations a wider gulf for the smaller fish.

Want more prize money? Stop finishing 8th in the Constructors Championship.

Last edited:
Feels like they want to drag this on for as long as possible so Andretti will be forced to join in 2026, most likely under different terms because the concorde agreement that all the teams signed in 2021 expires in 2025.

I miss Bernie during times like this, he would likely tell them to suck it up or gtfo.

Last edited:
There's another thing to consider about the NHL expansion draft which was discussed on Autosport's website which is that the incumbent team can pick and choose members of staff from the others' teams. The money which is paid is more of a compensation for taking said colleagues, and it's an interesting idea which could work in F1.

Autosport subscribers only: https://www.autosport.com/f1/news/t...that-could-benefit-andrettis-f1-bid/10417534/

At least F1 is getting a lot of bad press now.

To me it's quite simple; the teams in F1 have FAR too much say in the sports processes/systems/decisions.

Especially the big 3, who get some of the smaller teams to support their lobbying too, I would love to see them reeled in already. Two tier F1 is pretty **** but they want to keep it that way for as long as possible.

Last edited:
Feels like they want to drag this on for as long as possible so Andretti will be forced to join in 2026, most likely under different terms because the concorde agreement that all the teams signed in 2021 expires in 2025.

I miss Bernie during times like this, he would likely tell them to suck it up or gtfo.
Yes, the FIA should just put their foot down and say "we're letting them in, deal with it"

Especially the big 3, who get some of the smaller teams to support their lobbying too, I would love to see them reeled in already. Two tier F1 is pretty **** but they want to keep it that way for as long as possible.

A cornerstone of their philosophy is that Mercedes and Ferrari are also engine suppliers to over half the field. If they don't get their way, it becomes Super Formula Honda/Renault, and suddenly they're the ones pulling the strings.

While that gives some warm fuzzies...I can't help but picture how weird a Gulf liveried Porsche would look driving around at the back of the grid. I'd imagine they go a little incognito for the first year or two...or five.

Williams say they’re not for sale, Porsche just rebranding their IG motorsports page.

Nothing to see here (for now).

Williams say they’re not for sale, Porsche just rebranding their IG motorsports page.

Nothing to see here (for now).

Very strange. Cryptic announcement just to rebrand their motorsport oagw while also deleting all of the motorsport content that was there? If that's all it is then they've done it in a weird way. Also, the way Williams worded not being for sale was quite specific. They said they're not for sale, not that they aren't open to partnering or something. If its Porsche it won't be until 2026 anyway so no need to rush that announcement.

Gulf x Williams just seems like a matter of time now though.

This almost feels like some subtle trolling on Porsche's part. Like they couldn't immediately buy their way into RBR, so they're going to form nebulous attachments to every other team on the grid over the next couple years and try to sweat a deal out of them that way.

I'm sure it's not that and Porsche just wants a foot in the door, but it's still fun to think about.

Last edited:
Porsche seems like one of those teams that causes both excitement and dread for the FIA. For one, their motorsports heritage is pretty much unrivaled but they have a habit of going all in to a series for 3-4 years, and then just leaving. I'd figure they'd just clean house on another team, but logistics and history kind of dictate that they'd probably just want to start from scratch right from the beginning, even if it costs them a few hundred million to make other teams happy with travel funds.

But at what point does it make financial sense for both Porsche and Audi concurrently in the same series? Does it make one brand look weaker at the expense of success for the other?

Last edited:
But at what point does it make financial sense for both Porsche and Audi concurrently in the same series?
There are a few reasons why it didn't work but your point is certainly one reason why the Porsche LMP 2000 project was cancelled once the Audi R8 looked competitive.

Last edited:
The R8 killed quite a few "prospective" projects I'd imagine. Cadillac was definitely a victim, having shown up around the same time.

Me: Not much is going on with F1 lately.

Mohammed Ben Sulayem: I've decided to jeopardize my job on epic proportions lol.
If you're gonna speak out about a potential sale of something you're involved with, it's probably not the best idea to say what basically sums up as "Bruh. It ain't worth that much. Use your head, c'mon now".

Last edited:
I fully get why people are mad at him. He’s not wrong though, but probably should have just kept that to him himself.

That being said, there’s nothing good that was going to come from the Saudi gov’t owning F1.

Launch Dates all confirmed.
20230125_151005.jpg

Latest Posts

Back