Formula 1 Aramco Gran Premio De España 2021Formula 1 

• Thread starter Jimlaad43
  • 175 comments
And then there's Bottas with some uncomfortable laughter during an interview. "I'm not here to let people by". Hey uh...Bottas there's this team that employs you.

And then there's Bottas with some uncomfortable laughter during an interview. "I'm not here to let people by". Hey uh...Bottas there's this team that employs you.

And as a reward he got pitted thereby making it certain that Verstappen would also pit for FL and sealing Bottas into 3rd place rather than second. At least that's how I read it at the time... anyone agree?

And as a reward he got pitted thereby making it certain that Verstappen would also pit for FL and sealing Bottas into 3rd place rather than second. At least that's how I read it at the time... anyone agree?

I was also wondering about that. Maybe the Mercedes was harder on the tires and they didn't think they were going to last. At that point when Hamilton was catching up to Bottas and getting within a few seconds, Bottas stopped catching up to Verstappen. I don't think Bottas could make that pass happen.

I don't think Bottas could make that pass happen.

I quite agree, but it was a plausible "might have" given that Verstappen's tyres weren't too good either. Once Bottas stopped it was inevitable (imo) that Verstappen would also box and then go for fastest lap. I think Mercedes moved Bottas from a possible 2nd to a definite 3rd.

EDIT: I wonder if Hamilton's post-race quote is telling? "It is great to see the fans here. I saw a British flag out there which I haven't seen for a long, long time. I did what the team asked because there is a great trust between us. Remarkable job by everyone in this team."

Last edited:
It’s pretty obvious Bottas knows he’s getting kicked to the curb no matter what he does - it’s just a question of during or after the season based on his continued conduct.

Last edited:
Fantastic race! Thought Max had a phenomenal drive - Mercedes ultimately won on tactics though but it's great that there's a car that seems capable of challenging the Merc. Perez did well but as the commentators said Red Bull really need a second driver to be able to stop that two pronged Merc attack.

Impressive start by Mick Schumacher but unsurprisingly the Haas just didn't have the power to fend off the Williams.

Nice to see Ferrari doing well - Sainz and Leclerc are never failing to impress this season.

Crazy how having to overtake Mazepin as a backmarker is seen as a potential risk. His reputation is truly shot isn't it? I can't see him surviving in F1 for long, even considering his dad's wealth.

Why the absolute 🤬 do i ever have any optimism as a red bull fan? This season's already over just hand Lewis the damn title already

I can relate. Vettel's my favourite driver - bar the podium last year it's been a rough couple of years and that appears to be continuing alas. His result in quali last week gave me some optimism but I'm not overly hopeful for the rest of the season.

Last edited:
Did anyone else notice Mercedes saying to Bottas "Lewis is on a different strategy"?

What strategy would that be then, Mercedes?

"Erm, the one where the car gets to the end of the race in first position..."

Boring race. Tactics won it. Monaco will probably be the same. Good to see Lewis and Max finally up against each other this season.

It's only the 4th round.
It's only the 4th round.
It's only the 4th round.
It's only the 4th round.
It's only the 4th round.
It's only the 4th round.
It's only the 4th round.
It's only the 4th round.

Hamilton hasn't won the championship. Verstappen hasn't lost it. There's still all to play for. The fight is not over.
Watch this age like fine wine

Mazepin: Hey everyone, don’t forget I can be a tool when I’m not behind the wheel as well.

D5662209-CF4B-4682-8112-6977EA7B4BB6.png

I wouldn't really hold that one against Mazepin; 8th May is Victory Over Facism Day in most countries that either were part of the USSR or were liberated by the USSR.

I didn't watch the race though so when exactly did he do that?

I wouldn't really hold that one against Mazepin; 8th May is Victory Over Facism Day in most countries that either were part of the USSR or were liberated by the USSR.

Take a guess!

As far as Spanish GP's go, it wasn't too bad. I suspected the worst when early on it seemed everyone was 1 stopping, but then it became a battle between the strategists and how quickly they could see that a 2 stop was going to be the better strategy. There was a real dogfight towards the end within the midfield and for just 1 point! I only wish that the TV director would remember that cars are racing for 4th place backwards...

What ultimately won this race for Hamilton was that Bottas was within the pit window of Verstappen and Hamilton, but Perez was not. If Hamilton had to have passed Perez as well in his charge, Verstappen wins the race on some very abused tyres. Although he did a job for Mercedes and Hamilton yesterday, Bottas seems thoroughly down and out of even race winning contention. The radio messages coming to him from the team sound a lot like what I say to the football team I coach when they are 4-0 down - damage control rather than expecting a reversal of fortunes.

Ricciardo looks to have settled in. Too bad Ferrari have now started looking like the clear third best car in race trim.

I dont think Red Bull were going to win either way. If Verstappen pitted, he would've ended up behind Bottas. Mercedes were just too good, and it didn't bode well for the rest of the season.

I dont think Red Bull were going to win either way. If Verstappen pitted, he would've ended up behind Bottas. Mercedes were just too good, and it didn't bode well for the rest of the season.

Correct.
Max Verstappen says there was little Red Bull could have done to hold off Lewis Hamilton in the Spanish Grand Prix and that the result highlights the fact that his team is too slow.

https://racer.com/2021/05/09/verstappen-admits-red-bull-simply-too-slow/

At his first pit stop.

I get how the kneeling at the anthem has morphed into what its become and now symbolises (BLM) But it's still a protest to something that's happening now. I understand Mazepin wanting to raise a point on the day, but he's appropriated it completely out of context. He's not protesting against anything that's happening right now (that i can make out - unless its about Russia making moves to reintegrate former USSR countries once more?) - it all happened upto 76 years ago. If he was going to appropriate any symbolism, perhaps he should have worn a poppy instead?

Last edited:
Mazepin: Hey everyone, don’t forget I can be a tool when I’m not behind the wheel as well.

View attachment 1010071
Uhm... What’s wrong here?
Do you mean the people who honor the victims of WW2 on 9th of May are tools?

I get how the kneeling at the anthem has morphed into what its become and now symbolises (BLM) But it's still a protest to something that's happening now. I understand Mazepin wanting to raise a point on the day, but he's appropriated it completely out of context. He's not protesting against anything that's happening right now (that i can make out - unless its about Russia making moves to reintegrate former USSR countries once more?) - it all happened upto 76 years ago. If he was going to appropriate any symbolism, perhaps he should have worn a poppy instead?
What a nonsense connection you’re drawing here.

No, that people who co-opt something for their own purposes are tools. Whether you agree with it or not, the drivers kneel (or don't) before the race in a "moment to show united support" for issues such as racism. The gravel-hunting grope goblin chose to do his own thing for his own reasons during this - which is very much the opposite of "united support", whatever it is he chose to do instead or why.

He could - and should - have done it at any other time. This isn't a complicated premise.

No, that people who co-opt something for their own purposes are tools. Whether you agree with it or not, the drivers kneel (or don't) before the race in a "moment to show united support" for issues such as racism. The gravel-hunting grope goblin chose to do his own thing for his own reasons during this - which is very much the opposite of "united support", whatever it is he chose to do instead or why.

He could - and should - have done it at any other time. This isn't a complicated premise.
I don't understand. Is kneeling reserved to BLM movement now?
He chose to do this on his own, as he's from Russia, where the 9th of May is the main national holiday (like 4th of July in the US or 14th of July in France), and he's not more of a tool than those who kneeled in support of the BLM movement when it was trending.

Not to mention that the victory over Hitler (who treated some ethnicities such as Jews and Slavs as "subhumans") is also a victory over racism as well.

Last edited:
I don't understand.
Yes, you do. You're just pretending not to.
Is kneeling reserved to BLM movement now?
It's nothing to do with BLM. It stopped being anything to do with BLM last year, and in any case the drivers have always chosen whether to kneel or not. It's now a "moment to show united support" for issues. I literally just explained this to you.
He chose to do this on his own
Yes, and that is the point I just made to you.

He chose to do something on his own during a moment when the 20 drivers are - or are supposed to be - joining together in a united moment. He ignored that and did his own thing for his own reasons instead of being part of the united moment. Had he done this at any other time, great. Doing so at this particular time, not great.

But then having respect for others doesn't seem to be a strong point of his character.

Taking the knee is a gesture done in protest against something - in this case the continued problem of racism in the world. There are many ways to show support and memory for fallen soldiers, such as the Poppy worn for WW1 memories, but a gesture of memory of war is very different to a gesture of solidarity against prejudice. Mazepin was right to make a gesture of memory for a Russian national day, but wrong to do it this way in a moment of togetherness of the drivers.

He coopted a standa gainst rasicm for his own ends, it's really not complicated. I'm sure if BLM coopted a May 9th parade you would have an issue.

Nope, and you know I don't, but don't let that get in the way of your often rabid nationalism.

Mazepin has been mentioned about the same number of times in this thread as Hamilton or Verstappen. Obviously, he is an incredibly important part of this thread and this entire season. F1 can be currently seen as far more than mere racing. It is clearly part of our identity, mission and agenda on Earth.

Back