Formula 1 Aramco Magyar Nagydíj 2020Formula 1 

• Thread starter Jimlaad43
  • 376 comments

Jimlaad43

GeoGuessr God
Premium
United Kingdom
United Kingdom
Round 3 of the 2020 season and we finally get to visit a new circuit. The Styrian Grand Prix didn't quite live up to the action and chaos of the Austrian Grand Prix (although Qualifying made up for that) so the teams are now making the 4-hour drive up to Budapest (I know because I did it last year) to the Hungaroring. With the loss of Monaco this season, the Hungaroring will be come the circuit on the calendar with the second longest consecutive run on the calendar, just 6 races behind Monza. A short, twisty circuit which produced a thriller last year, F1 fans will certainly be hoping we get something like it again this year. Mercedes have dominated both races so far, will a change of circuit allow Red Bull or even Racing Point to challenge for the win? McLaren have taken a monopoly of the Fastest Laps, and still sit in second place in the Constructors Championship. Ferrari better hope that upgrade finally works, and their drivers stay away from each other at the HUNGARIAN GRAND PRIX.

image.png

First Grand Prix

Number of Laps

Circuit Length
4.381km

Race Distance
306.63 km

Lap Record
1:17.103 Max Verstappen (2019)

Very different circuit to Austria so it'll be a good indication of who was bluffing a bit there and who has a top overall package.

I fancy Verstappen here, he was unlucky last year, and this has always suited the Red Bulls. Merc will be strong as ever here, Lewis loves this track. I do think we'll see a surprise, I think this circuit will be a real proof in the pudding for Racing Point, if they have the car they think they do they'll be challenging the top 3, but I also feel, looking at the package they have, that Renault could be a bit of a dark horse here. Ricciardo is good here and Ocon isn't a afraid to make some moves so keep an eye out for them.

Isn't it always blistering hot this time of year there? If so this will really challenge those cars that are having cooling issues.

Typically yes, Hungary has pretty hot and relatively dry (as in humidity) summers, at least before we moved abroad. The first Hungarian GP in the wet was in 2006, 20 years after the first one.

Typically yes, Hungary has pretty hot and relatively dry (as in humidity) summers, at least before we moved abroad. The first Hungarian GP in the wet was in 2006, 20 years after the first one.

I know they typically show that packed waterpark close to the track on tv and say how hot it is.

Early weather reports are pegging it at mid 20s (celsius) on Sunday and same on Saturday but with added threat of thunderstorms.

Just found an article about Senna and the first Hungarian GP back in 1986. The article is in Hungarian, I also provided the Google Translate version - the English translation is actually quite usable, so you will most likely get the gist of it, even if you don't speak Hungarian (I'd assume that's roughly 99+% of GTPlanet's user base :) ).

Original article: https://index.hu/sport/forma1/2020/...roring-1986-lada-1200-zsiguli-magyar-nagydij/

Google Translate version: https://translate.google.com/transl...roring-1986-lada-1200-zsiguli-magyar-nagydij/

The article also contains a short video where Piquet overtook Senna for the lead, pretty awesome move (starts around 1:40):

I'd like to pay my respects to Scenario 7, 12/7/2020-17/7/2020, cause of death was getting bludgeoned to death by Sky F1.

If your idea of excitement is Hamilton dominating from start to finish. Best or second best wet driver on the grid in a car that’s leagues faster than anything else this season=foregone conclusion.
Germany 2019 called, it's here to murder your chronic pessimism.

In 2019 the Merc wasn’t as dominant as it’s thus far proven to be, and that was the first real race-losing mistake Lewis had made in years.
Hungary 2014 shows that even a dominant Mercedes isn't unbeatable in the rain, thank you for confirming my diagnosis of chronic pessimism.

Hungary 2014 shows that even a dominant Mercedes isn't unbeatable in the rain, thank you for confirming my diagnosis of chronic pessimism.
2014 Merc was dominant because the engine was so much better. In 2020, it’s the entire operation. Engine, chassis, aero, strategy. You can call it pessimism, I call it realism and an ability to look at the stats. It’s not 2011 anymore where Red Bull can dominate on aero design alone.

Here's a pointless note for you from the press conferences -

Pierre Gasly's shirt was awful, just a dark blue polo with an Alpha Tauri logo slapped on it. As a fashion brand, I'd have thought they'd make an effort on some swanky team uniforms. Kvyat's looked better in white, but compared to the other teams, it all looks a bit cobbled together...

2014 Merc was dominant because the engine was so much better. In 2020, it’s the entire operation. Engine, chassis, aero, strategy. You can call it pessimism, I call it realism and an ability to look at the stats. It’s not 2011 anymore where Red Bull can dominate on aero design alone.

You need to focus more on Ferrari shooting themselves in the foot, Mercedes have consolidated and innovated. Ferrai have flushed all their development for at least a full season down the toilet by cheating. Their over reliance on defeating fuel flow regulations and adding extra fluids to the combustion chamber has meant their subsequent upgrades will have all been skewed and now completely useless. Ferrari have no excuses they have the highest revenue.

You need to focus more on Ferrari shooting themselves in the foot, Mercedes have consolidated and innovated. Ferrai have flushed all their development for at least a full season down the toilet by cheating. Their over reliance on defeating fuel flow regulations and adding extra fluids to the combustion chamber has meant their subsequent upgrades will have all been skewed and now completely useless. Ferrari have no excuses they have the highest revenue.
I know, we were discussing Merc’s raw pace advantage though.

Isn't it always blistering hot this time of year there? If so this will really challenge those cars that are having cooling issues.

As someone who lives in central Europe, admittedly 4 hours from the Hungaroring but still, lockdown was blisteringly hot and dry but since June it's been very muggy and a bit changeable.

As someone who lives in central Europe, admittedly 4 hours from the Hungaroring but still, lockdown was blisteringly hot and dry but since June it's been very muggy and a bit changeable.

Same here in Alabama. It's 96F right now which means intense thunderstorms can popup at anytime.

Mercedes1,2,3,4... Fixed that for you. :P

I think Max will disrupt this somewhat... Red Bull were running a different rear wing and gathering data in P1 today. I hope come Q3 things will be tighter, although Im expecting Lewis on Pole that fastest lap on hard compound was rude! Wouldnt mind the weather affecting Quali again after last week's entertainment (Quali was better than the race itself in some ways...)

Back