Formula 1 Aramco Magyar Nagydíj 2020Formula 1 

• Thread starter Jimlaad43
  • 376 comments
If we get another probable wet start with dry weather HAAS should debrief the drivers pre-race that if they specifically asked not to enter the pits they should enter the pits anyways.

Can’t be penalized for disobeying engineers instructions :dunce: :dunce: :dunce:
That's the same that happened with team orders. It was forbidden, but teams got around that by not explicitly giving orders, but just implying them.
"Fernando is faster than you. Confirm you understood this message"

Well that wasn't really the most thrilling of Hungary F1 races, I fell asleep a couple of times during the race broadcast.

The HAAS penalty came as a bit of a surprise and seems a bit harsh considering they give out a penalty for that but Albon having the track dried for him on the starting grid yields no penalty, FIA working at it's best there I see.

It's definitely clear that unless the other teams have some major improvements to make and if I were Red Bull I'd be very worried about being overtaken by Racing Point given they seem to have the best focus/car to challenge Mercedes at the moment, let's see how Silverstone goes in 2 weeks I guess...

Most legendary F1 cars of all time:
Lotus 49
Lotus 72
McLaren MP4-4
Ferrari F2002
Red Bull RB9
Mercedes W11

It's just that good. I'm not a Hamilton fan but my god have Mercedes got it right this year. They're soo far ahead of the game it's unbelievable. We will remember this car for years to come, just like the other cars I have mentioned.

I dont fully understand DAS myself but im guessing the way they can carry so much speed through corners like turn 4 at Hungary (barely lifting!) might be them being able to increase the toe in angle of the tyres giving them more contact surface (would explain the wet qualifying result in Austria, although Hamilton is an Alien in the wet regardless). Its a shame this feature is made illegal I would have liked to see how other teams would have developed it out.

DAS also helps to reheat the tyres at a faster rate, also allowing it to retain more heat on straights.
Most legendary F1 cars of all time:
Lotus 49
Lotus 72
McLaren MP4-4
Ferrari F2002
Red Bull RB9
Mercedes W11

It's just that good. I'm not a Hamilton fan but my god have Mercedes got it right this year. They're soo far ahead of the game it's unbelievable. We will remember this car for years to come, just like the other cars I have mentioned.

All that to skip over the Williams FW14? That car's gap to the rest of the grid wasn't too different from what this has.

It is a little disappointing to see not only how ridiculously good the Mercedes is, but to see how awful Ferrari are currently, since Max alone cannot make a God bleed. They aren't even faster than last year's Mercedes. :lol: (I do think something is afoot at RP though)

Can't believe we are looking at possibly seven straight constructors titles, and the very real possibility of another one next year, while everyone focuses on 2022.

Last edited:
DAS also helps to reheat the tyres at a faster rate, also allowing it to retain more heat on straights.

It is a little disappointing to see not only how ridiculously good the Mercedes is, but to see how awful Ferrari are currently, since Max alone cannot make a God bleed. They aren't even faster than last year's Mercedes. :lol: (I do think something is afoot at RP though)

Can't believe we are looking at possibly seven straight constructors titles, and the very real possibility of another one next year, while everyone focuses on 2022.

Great quote from Toto summing up how they got the car to this level and why Ferrari are struggling...

Another complete bull**** story, technical directives. There’s a clear regulation on power units, there have been clarifications in Austin what you are allowed to do or not which were important.

“But nothing that was in any way surprising because if you comply to the regulations that was clear anyway. I think the irony of the story is that we were pushed by some of our competitors to absolutely new levels.

“It brought us to almost burnout last year to develop and innovate in a way to be competitive on track. And here we go. I think we made a substantial jump in performance from 2019 to 2020 because we needed to last year and that is a little bit ironic for me.” - Toto Wolff

Why is the problem Mercedes? Why not turn that around and say the problem is the other teams not doing a good enough job?
I'm curious as to why people act like this is an issue solely with F1. It seems like almost ever major motorsport this century has had at least 1 team/driver that ruled the sport for at least half a decade. FIA had Vitaphone for around 5-6 years, LeMans famously had Audi's run with Tom Kristensen. Briefly looking at V8 & MotoGP, whoever Jamie Whincup & Marc Marquez are, seem to be the men to beat in their respective sports. I wouldn't be surprised if Indy & Nascar have both had 1 team or guy of this caliber.

I'm curious as to why people act like this is an issue solely with F1. It seems like almost ever major motorsport this century has had at least 1 team/driver that ruled the sport for at least half a decade. FIA had Vitaphone for around 5-6 years, LeMans famously had Audi's run with Tom Kristensen. Briefly looking at V8 & MotoGP, whoever Jamie Whincup & Marc Marquez are, seem to be the men to beat in their respective sports. I wouldn't be surprised if Indy & Nascar have both had 1 team or guy of this caliber.
MotoGP is much more rider orientated then F1, Supercars is similar (but with drivers).
F1 isn't a spec formula and sure in spec formulas you have teams that will always be at the top because of money and talent but you can't tell me Bottas is the best driver other then Lewis.

MotoGP is boring to read about in articles as someone who doesn't follow. Pretty much every season in the last few years has been "Random rider I've never heard of takes surprise pole" on Saturday followed by "Marquez wins as pole sitter falls off". At least when Hamilton or Mercedes win from pole in F1 it's to be expected so you're not as disappointed by a surprise qualifying giving the same result.

Been reading Binotto's latest comments really loving the denial... who does he think he's kidding lol:

“I am well aware there is no magic wand in Formula 1, but we have to step up a gear to turn things around, both in the short and the long term. It might also be necessary to look at our organisation to improve and strengthen our working methods where the need is greatest. But first, as a team, we need to understand the dynamic that led to this situation.”

Seems to me the dynamic that led to the situation was operating a mechanism to defeat fuel flow monitoring and adding "lubricants" (What octane were they then?) to the combustion chamber last year when they could have been using their time and money on legitimate power unit developments. No doubt "improve and strengthen our working methods" equates to lets not get caught next time, and even if they do you can always use another NDA...

Last edited:
“But first, as a team, we need to understand the dynamic that led to this situation.”
They could take a page out of Bruton Smith's book and blame a "rogue engineer" for it. If that crafty devil could change the banking of Bristol Speedway without anyone noticing, surely he could install illegal parts in Ferrari's engines without them being the wiser!

MotoGP is boring to read about in articles as someone who doesn't follow. Pretty much every season in the last few years has been "Random rider I've never heard of takes surprise pole" on Saturday followed by "Marquez wins as pole sitter falls off". At least when Hamilton or Mercedes win from pole in F1 it's to be expected so you're not as disappointed by a surprise qualifying giving the same result.
Didn't happen like that last weekend though, infact it was the opposite.

Back