Formula 1 Azerbaijan Grand Prix 2021Formula 1 

• Thread starter Jimlaad43
  • 462 comments

Jimlaad43

GeoGuessr God
Premium
United Kingdom
United Kingdom
Formula 1 returns to Baku for its 5th attempt, and for what is hopefully the last closed-doors Grand Prix for a while. The street circuit has produced it's fair share of utter chaos in the past, and windy conditions are predicted for the weekend, making that bonkers start straight even more powerful. Who knows what we'll get, but Mazepin hitting the wall at the castle section is surely a strong bet. We'll find out at the AZERBAIJAN GRAND PRIX!

*Insert Track Map and stats here when I'm not on mobile*​

A power circuit, but with tight, narrow corners. The jury's out on how Mercedes will do here.

Bottas stuck in a Finnish airport.

People checking to see if George Russell owns said airport.

Vandoorne is in Baku so if he's still stuck there tomorrow he'll probably be going in the car.

I know it gets a bad rap (and I know the guys running Azerbaijan are dirtbags) but I've enjoyed the races there so far. Just fast enough for people to do some stupid stuff and make mistakes. I also enjoy the "not" straightaway that occupies the entire last third of the track. On boards there are great. I enjoy that the track is wide enough at certain places that drivers are just impatient enough to try something on occasion.

On one hand Merc usually does well on power tracks. On the other hand, the track surface is quite smooth so they might struggle with tyre warmup again. Plus Red Bull's flexi wing will certainly make them closer on the straights.

Expecting Ferrari to slot back behind McLaren again, but I give up trying to predict the rest of the midfield :lol:

Can I park my car here?

upload_2021-6-4_14-30-3.png

Mazepins first crash of the weekend.
It seems Mazepin has to join military services very soon and that will make an end to his F1 season (at least for the next 12 months). Fittipaldi is ready to take his seat.

BTW All cars have extra yellow stickers on the rear wing to check the flex per car.

Surely, being the "fortunate son" of a Russian billionaire is enough to sway the government to excuse him?

I'm assuming they're just sandbagging. Wouldn't be surprised if Bottas suddenly starts running a Top 3 time once Qualifying starts.

That was my first thought as well but the first Merc engine is in p8. Perhaps the engine upgrades aren't working as they should?

Dunno Hamilton sounded quite crest fallen on the team radio today...
Thought the female commentator said Lewis was twice on a fastest lap pace, but was derailed by the yellows? Probably misheard her.

Edit* Interesting theory from someone on Reddit that Merc. is playing a game to look slow so the FIA will look deeper into the wing-situation?

Last edited:
Thought the female commentator said Lewis was twice on a fastest lap pace, but was derailed by the yellows? Probably misheard her.

Edit* Interesting theory from someone on Reddit that Merc. is playing a game to look slow so the FIA will look deeper into the wing-situation?

Im hoping its nice and close between Lewis and Max doubt the Mercs times are representative bring on the truth that is q3!

Doesn't really play out since the Merc wing has been shown to be flexing just as much. So "We put a flexier wing on our car, look how much slower it is" doesn't seem like a solid strategy to getting rid of them.

Last edited:
Doesn't really play out since the Merc wing has been shown to be flexing just as much. So "We put a flexier wing on our car, look how much slower it is" doesn't seem like a solid strategy to getting rid of them.

Aside from the wing drooping the Redbull bodywork seems so much more solid than the Mercedes. I'm surprised how sloppy the Mercedes onboard looks.

Really fun practice sessions - I love the Baku track - challenging but allows for some real racing unlike Monaco. Seems similar to Monaco in terms of performance with the Ferrari car looking strong and the Mercedes looking weak. Whilst it's practice and Mercedes could be sandbagging, Monaco makes me wonder if the car just isn't suited to tight street circuits. If that is the case then Red Bull really need to capitalise on that again as on the more traditional circuits the cars seem pretty equal and Mercedes have been cleverer re tactics. I'm hoping this fight continues to be close for the rest of the season. Superb performance from Checo today which was great to see, big fan of his and really want to see him do well at the team and avoid the musical chairs routine that's developed there in the last few years. If Honda can end Mercedes dominance in their last year in the sport it would be phenomenal to see. I don't want to get over excited yet though as there's a long way to go and Red Bull need to up their game on the regular circuits.

Re the protest - I'm reminded of the old adage about glass houses and stones. I can certainly see it backfiring for Mercedes given the above videos. If they both come out weaker because of this, I can imagine it will play into Ferrari's hands.

Unless Mazepin Sr isn't a friend of Putin.

Pretty sure he is friendly with him. Besides, plenty others have got out of it and they have enough money to just buy a Citizenship elsewhere. Though if that ended uo being damaging for the relationship.

My take? The story appears to have come from the Mazepins, the criticism of him is so hot I can see then wanting to spin a sob story and create some drama to make him seem interesting and rebellious. When actually we would all just smile and wave.

Pretty sure he is friendly with him. Besides, plenty others have got out of it and they have enough money to just buy a Citizenship elsewhere. Though if that ended uo being damaging for the relationship.

My take? The story appears to have come from the Mazepins, the criticism of him is so hot I can see then wanting to spin a sob story and create some drama to make him seem interesting and rebellious. When actually we would all just smile and wave.

I agree. I doubt Mazepin Sr. would have ploughed all that money into Haas if there was a real chance his son's F1 career was going to be curtailed due to military service. I also imagine Haas would have been wary of signing him. Indeed, it begs the question of why bother with F2 at all if you knew you were going to have to take a year's sabbatical? I'd be surprised if there wasn't a loophole, especially considering his father's wealth.

Drivers have taken breaks before but Mazepin isn't Kimi or Alonso. For a rookie to take a year out would basically be the end of their career I feel because there's always a constant pool of immensely talented drivers out there coming up from F2. I suppose if they're reliant on Mazepin Sr.'s money it could happen but Haas would be an even bigger laughing stock for, say, dropping his replacement after a year to have him back, when Mazepin still has yet to impress and has serious attitude problems.

Last edited:
Anything stopping him from doing what I read Kyvat did who moved to Italy to avoid the mandatory service & ended up becoming a citizen there?

Edit* Think I got the citizen part wrong, only that he spent time growing up & going to school there.

Last edited:

Or they're looking for a plausible reason for his exit that doesn't involve him being a dick and everybody hating him.

Just some fun facts in the category of 'the Sun':

Haha Max has to wear his (F2) team mate shoes this weekend. Each race they use new shoes (and suit, gloves etc) but they brought size 44 and Max has 41,5. He tried Checo's shoes but they are too small. Good excuse if anything happens this weekend ;)

Lewis his new personal manager is the former manager of....Justin Bieber

Enjoy the Baku weekend!

===

Max doing a 'LeClerc'

upload_2021-6-5_11-28-8.png

Last edited:
Back