Formula 1 BWT Grosser Preis Der Steiermark 2021Formula 1 

• Thread starter Jimlaad43
  • 203 comments
Already for next Austria GP: new Pirelli tires to test. More robust vs the Baku version. You know the ones that possibly were 'tweaked' by the teams and absolutely nothing done wrong by Pirelli. Yep and the sun turns water into ice.

The usual caveats apply, but I was deeply impressed to see this on the hard tyre long runs.

Pos.TeamTimeLaps
1​
Mercedes1m09.588s
11​
2​
Red Bull1m09.621s
16​
Williams1m09.920s
4​
Ferrari1m10.086s
18​
5​
McLaren1m10.442s
7​

Williams also ran just 1/10th second per lap behind Alpha Tauri doing 21 laps over AT's 12 on the soft tyres.

Horner's probably doing his best Smug Clarkson impression as we speak.

Only way that penalty is salvageable is if Bottas either nabs pole and/or Perez has a bad qualifying, both of which are quite unlikely. Unless Bottas can fight his way back up come Sunday, Red Bull will likely be in a prime position to put pressure on Lewis early in the race.

How in the hell did Bottas screw that exit up so badly.
Were his tires stone cold or did he just do a sponge bob and floor it?
1624687741569.png

These kinds of things won't help Mercedes' cause.

These sorts of things wont help get Bottas resigned either

Last edited:
How in the hell did Bottas screw that exit up so badly.
Were his tires stone cold or did he just do a sponge bob and floor it?
View attachment 1062683

These sorts of things wont help get Bottas resigned either
Officially not confirmed but it was said he and the team tried a new kind of launch system when leaving the pit. He drove away in 2nd gear and suddenly the throttle increased too progressive.

Last edited:
So much for the predicted thunderstorms, nice weather all weekend at the ring. Still should be good as we really dont know who will win, its nice that F1 has become unpredictable again.

Spielberg is about 3 hours away from me. The weather in central Europe is unbearably hot at the moment.

There was a devastating tornado near us earlier in the week but nowhere close to mid-south Austria.

A lot of debate about rule whinging by teams for their own benefit, I wish it was a race to the top rather than dragging teams back. That being said though whinging has brought the racing closer overall (albeit slower) particularly this last 12 months. Removing the the cheat Ferrari fuel game, lowering Merc downforce / removing DAS & RB Flexi wings / auto pit release has got F1 (temporarily) delightfully competitive...

This could get pretty exciting.

.264 covering the top 9 currently in Q2.

Camera cuts away from Lewis' lap to show Verstappen coming out of the pitlane for 2 seconds. 🙄

Last edited:
It seemed like Lewis went off track in that last corner for that first lap.

edit: Okay, got it, that's inside track limits for that corner. 😃

Last edited:
In the hands of VER that Red Bull does seem to be the fastest car over a single lap now, based on the last few races. Race trim it's hard to say.

Love how the former drivers on commentary either just don't say anything about those dodgy AWS performance graphics (like Martin) or seriously question them.

Last edited:
This will be interesting to see how race strategy pans out. Perez will have both Mercs and a Mac between him and Max, plus Gasly behind him. But, I believe they did say the Red Bulls are on different strats.

Norris starting third :D

It's worth noting he's the only driver to score points at every Grand Prix so far this year, and his results are 4, 3, 5, 8, 3, 5, 5.

Not sure why Perez was slower in Q3 than Q2. Also did Hamilton give Bottas a slipstream to get him into 2nd to minimise the penalty?

I think we will look fondly back at the competitive start to this season, because it looks like an easy 1 horse (bull) race for the champioship, particularly as the window for development is tiny with focus being strongly on 2022. The sport badly needs a new winner, but it also needs exciting competition too, go figure...

Forecasts for tomorrow are again chances of thunderstorms and showers but they had the same for the first two days and practically nothing, so let's see. Without rain It's going to be another race won or lost in strategy I think.

I think we will look fondly back at the competitive start to this season, because it looks like an easy 1 horse (bull) race for the champioship, particularly as the window for development is tiny with focus being strongly on 2022. The sport badly needs a new winner, but it also needs exciting competition too, go figure...
I don't think it's swung that far just yet in race pace. Before the stop in Paul Ricard HAM was comfortably leading and it seemed he had the pace to win it, just lost on strategy obviously.

It's certainly safe to say the comfortable Mercedes pace advantage of years gone by is gone though, for sure. Whichever way it goes, things are going to be fine margins now.

The problem is with these cars when two are very closely matched with two closely matched drivers, having wheel to wheel battles is less likely. No matter who you are, you need a strong pace advantage on the driver ahead to think about passing. So now they're so closely matched, more and more races are going to come down to strategy.

Last edited:
Back