Formula 1 Etihad Airways Abu Dhabi Grand Prix 2020Formula 1 

• Thread starter Jimlaad43
  • 174 comments
Seeing the R25 go round and it felt more exciting than watching quali. Grew up watching F1 in the 2000 era, man they need to bring back the V10 / V8, the sound was one of the biggest draws. I went to Silverstone one year when they still ran under the tunnel, the sound as they went through was amazing. Let formula E push the green credentials.

As @PaMu1337 notes, what Coulthard actually said was "Well done Max, that's your first ever pole position in Formula 1; put us in the cockpit."

lol he just mispoke its easily done, you can interpret he's referring to this year or the track record... yawn pedants corner today

Seeing the R25 go round and it felt more exciting than watching quali. Grew up watching F1 in the 2000 era, man they need to bring back the V10 / V8, the sound was one of the biggest draws. I went to Silverstone one year when they still ran under the tunnel, the sound as they went through was amazing. Let formula E push the green credentials.
Yeah, that was really quite exciting. It seemed so nervous and just barely under control - like a man riding an unchained monster.
The current generation of cars have the wheelbase of a Cadillac and are heavier than any GP car seen since the 1930's.

With qualifying wrapped up for the year, here's everyone average gaps to the pole sitter:

Hamilton +0.078
Bottas +0.256
Verstappen +0.578
Norris +1.111
Sainz +1.135
Ricciardo +1.162
Perez +1.172
Albon +1.245
Leclerc +1.259
Stroll +1.306
Gasly +1.372
Ocon +1.433
Kyvat +1.586
Vettel +1.693
Russell +2.068
Raikkonen +2.433
Grosjean +2.454
Magnussen +2.472
Giovinazzi +2.473
Latifi +2.807

And the subs:

Aitken +1.515
Huelkenberg +1.901
Fittipaldi +2.488

lol he just mispoke its easily done, you can interpret he's referring to this year or the track record... yawn pedants corner today
Cool story. Doesn't answer the original questions, from two non-native Anglophones, in any way:
Did Coulthard just say it's Max' first ever pole?

I know it isn't, but it sounded like he said that
I heard it also. Cuuld be our ears?
That is, in fact, exactly what he said. What he means isn't particularly relevant.

I like to think the R25 run shows that for excitement, you have to have cars that look fast more than be fast.

Id immediately agree to bump five or ten seconds off these cars if it meant they looked livelier and able to pass.

Last edited:
The biggest issue today is obviously their weight, followed by length. A light and nimble car is always going to look more exciting than a heavy boat, even if in reality the latter is faster.

The R25 was 605kg, the 2020 cars are 746kg.

Last edited:
Did Coulthard just say it's Max' first ever pole?

I know it isn't, but it sounded like he said that

Those watching live wouldn't have seen this but Coulthard apologised to Max about forgetting it's his 3rd in an interview afterwards, they joked around a bit and Max said it's OK, I still like you or something like that and reminded him it was actually 4 poles :sly:

Easy slip of the tongue to make given all the excitement from Red Bull when he clinched it.

Last edited:
If true, he shouldn't have been cleared to race.
Lung damage and muscle weakness caused by the virus is different to being infectious with the disease. Will Buxton has said he was feeling the effects of having had COVID well after having fought the virus off.

I did notice Lewis cough a couple of times during his post-qualifying interview. It remains to be seen if it has left him any long-term effects, or its just one of those coughs that lasts longer than a normal cold. Still, he'd better be very strict with his mask usage around people.

Simon Lazenby: "Do you think this track gets a lot of unfair criticism?"

Everyone: "No"

It's terrible to drive and race on. 11 years have proved that. It's two memorable races were championship deciders where the title was decided because cars couldn't overtake much slower cars ahead of them.

Hamilton fatigued already? I think he's settling for 3rd.

Albon should pass Norris soon.

Last edited:
Back