Formula 1 Gran Premio De La Ciudad De México 2021Formula 1 

• Thread starter Jimlaad43
  • 208 comments
The crowd booed Lewis after qualifying as well, Lewis looked a little puzzled by it.

Mexico has understandably adopted Red Bull and Max to support after Perez and lets be honest at quite a few races, Lewis is often trying to soften the crowd talking positively about them after boos can be heard at varying amounts. He's not as well liked as a few years ago around the world.

Regarding second place it didn't look in any danger, there wasn't that much speed advantage. Aside from the start there wasn't much going on.

Last edited:
The crowd booed Lewis after qualifying as well, Lewis looked a little puzzled by it.

Mexico has understandably adopted Red Bull and Max to support after Perez and lets be honest at quite a few races, Lewis is often trying to soften the crowd talking positively about them after boos can be heard at varying amounts. He's not as well liked as a few years ago around the world.

Regarding second place it didn't look in any danger, there wasn't that much speed advantage. Aside from the start there wasn't much going on.
It's the near universal principle that fans like winners until they start doing it too much. Maybe that will change with the new cars but I'm not holding my breath.

Roo
Engine penalties aside, I can't see Max losing a race for the rest of the season. He's one of the two fastest drivers, and he's in the fastest car.
Yep, Hamilton only has one win in the last 8 races. It'll take something extraordinary for him to overhaul Verstappen.

They'll be booing Max in 10 years when he's been sucking up all the titles and Leclerc, Russell and Norris are forced to be the bridesmaids.

It’s a shame F1 social media and various other community outlets have just descended into childish bitching and name calling, particularly Twitter and Instagram. Because it’s taking all the enjoyment and fun away from what is one of the great championship battles of the modern era and everyone’s too busy whining to even see it.

Yes I could turn off the socials but the F1 community used to be better than this. GTP is only just marginally better, too much of the crap starting my to weed itself over here too.

Hopefully people can put the silly whining and bitching to one side and enjoy what is sure to be an amazing climax to what has been a brilliant fight.

It’s a shame F1 social media and various other community outlets have just descended into childish bitching and name calling…
I used to be a frequent member of the autosport forums but that place has become unbearable because of the rabid fan boys who constantly try and one up each other by nit picking over minor things. Reddit is the same but has a lot of dts noobs who just jump on the most popular bandwagon at the time and still act like they know everything.

GTP is then only place where this isn’t prevalent, yet…

Last edited:
Formula One 🤝Football

Both the same and it's poison.
It's not helped when some of the drivers (or in this case, one particular driver and team) are held to a ridiculous double standard compared to the rest of the field.

Gasly was pretty much alone the entire race, I believe? I’m still surprised Ferrari wanted to swap Carlos and Charles so Carlos could chase down Gasly with 10 laps to go. I didn’t see Carlos suddenly able to pull over a second a lap out of Gasly, esp. assuming Gasly wouldn’t respond by picking up his own pace.

It's not helped when some of the drivers (or in this case, one particular driver and team) are held to a ridiculous double standard compared to the rest of the field.
Speaking of, here is unbroadcast video of VER purposely slowing down to try and prevent BOT doing a fast lap.

Hih. Surely that would be penalty-worthy, right?
Why would it be? He's not doing anything against the rules and/or dangerous, and it's certainly no worse than Hamilton's backing up of the pack in Abu Dhabi in 2016.

Roo
Why would it be? He's not doing anything against the rules and/or dangerous, and it's certainly no worse than Hamilton's backing up of the pack in Abu Dhabi in 2016.
He's being sarcastic, because that's what some folks genuinely say whenever HAM does anything similar. Like, people (not here) were calling for him to get a grid drop for the Friday infringement not going around the bollard at T1.

It’s a shame F1 social media and various other community outlets have just descended into childish bitching and name calling, particularly Twitter and Instagram. Because it’s taking all the enjoyment and fun away from what is one of the great championship battles of the modern era and everyone’s too busy whining to even see it.

Yes I could turn off the socials but the F1 community used to be better than this. GTP is only just marginally better, too much of the crap starting my to weed itself over here too.

Hopefully people can put the silly whining and bitching to one side and enjoy what is sure to be an amazing climax to what has been a brilliant fight.
Yes, yes yes.

Even young Lando took a step back from social media after he became "Meme Lord" during Covid, suggesting that interacting with fans in that way 'hurt his image' and made him look like a clown compared to other serious/private drivers and could effect the drives he could get from other teams.

What happened to Lando is what is happening to F1.

Liberty Media which, at one point, literally said that they want Formula One to follow the same path as American football. I'm not fear mongering, but I feel what we're seeing with Formula One is very similar to American football.

Liberty Media Reportedly Wants To Make Every F1 Race 'The Equivalent Of The Super Bowl'

• Growth over everything (more tracks, more outreach, more, more more!)
  • Rampant media coverage (even from unqualified/non-press people - the amount of BS F1 channels on YouTube I've seen has skyrocketed after DtS)
  • More fan engagement
  • More useless celebrities being highlighted during the race
  • WE NEED AN AMERICAN DRIVER - WE NEED AN AMERICAN DRIVER IN THE SPORT, THAT WILL MAKE AMERICANS CARE, RIGHT?
  • More ADVERTISEMENTS!
  • We need the fans on the camera every 10 seconds. HOW ABOUT A KISS CAM?!

@MagpieRacer - honestly, I don't think this is strictly on the fans, this is something that Liberty Media has been building up to. They want drama so they can get the views, and they're doing as many other American companies by searching for controversy. (milking race incidents and accidents for views, unnecessary red-flags and restarts) Now they're ramping things up to 100 with the addition of the Miami GP, then they're gunning for a GP in Las Vegas of all ****ing places. (notice how they dropped the Vietnam GP and it hasn't been heard of since?)

Even the drivers and teams are complaining about the addition of more races.

The interesting thing about the Ecclestone days is that it made sure that F1 had a baseline which it could operate and tried not to stray too far away from that. I don't think Ecclestone gave a single toss of **** about the fans or growth of F1, but rather it being similar to what he saw back when he was young, or, just staying authentic to itself.

What I liked about F1 when I started watching is that it didn't try to be anything but F1.

I'm done rambling, but yeah, double that with the boring, overhyped races... I'm taking a break.

Oh, how could I forget the awful sprint races?

Last edited:
Roo
Late reply, but basically what @Samus said. Although it would've been nice if Max’s move was seen and at least lightly called out.

Since when does Mexico counts as north america?I'm just a dumb swede who belives that Mexico is south amercia. Please correct me if i'm wrong....
67CB34E5-7907-4E3F-BBED-4E7108430445.gif

The usual definition of North to South America is somewhere between the Panama Canal and the Panama-Colombia border. Mexico is well above this, so is part of North America, but sometimes gets lumped into the semi-continental "Central America" region which is everything from Panama up to the Mexico or USA border.

Of course in the Spanish-speaking areas of North and South America, they consider the whole two continents to be one giant one called "America" (with an accent somewhere) and the USA has a different name that doesn't really include the word America.

So it's all a mess of arbitrary things anyway, and I would say "use something like the FIFA continents to work out who's where", but that falls apart when you get definitely Asian countries like Israel, Armenia and Kazakhstan playing in Europe, Oceanian ones like Australia playing in Asia and the definitely South American Guyana, Suriname and French Guiana playing in the North American CONCACAF.

Basically continents are arbitrary, different countries have different definitions anyway, but Mexico is either North American or American, but definitely not South American.

Latest Posts

Back