Formula 1 Gran Premio Heineken D’Italia 2020Formula 1 

• Thread starter Jimlaad43
  • 595 comments

Jimlaad43

GeoGuessr God
Premium
United Kingdom
United Kingdom
Monza. The Cathedral of Speed. Scene of Charles Leclerc's great victory last season, and the first for Ferrari at home since 2010. Well, I highly doubt that's going to happen again. If Spa is anything to go by, straight-line speed circuits are going to mix up the order. Ferrari's "settlement" having left them with a slow engine means this is likely to be a very tough Monza weekend for them, they'll be happy it's still behind-closed doors. Renault look like they have the best low drag car in the midfield, could this be the weekend they challenge for a podium? It was close in Belgium and this could be their chance.That is, if Hamilton, Bottas and Verstappen find a way to avid the podium themselves. There's been a lot of pessimism in the threads, which has been a lot more boring than the races themselves (yes, even Spain). Bring some positivity to life as we head to the ITALIAN GRAND PRIX!
image.png

First Grand Prix

Number of Laps

Circuit Length
5.793km

Race Distance
306.72 km

Lap Record
1:21.046 Rubens Barrichello (2004)

I hope they use the harder compounds this week the last dozen laps with Lewis, Valteri & Max nursing it home was an anticlimax. Sadly no chance of rain in the forecast. Could do with Valteri raising his game this weekend, otherwise its midfield battles to watch again...

https://www.bbc.co.uk/weather/3173435

Qualifying and race results barring any surprises and/or mechanical failures:

1. Hamilton
2. Bottas
3. Verstappen

I hope they use the harder compounds this week the last dozen laps with Lewis, Valteri & Max nursing it home was an anticlimax

The softer the better. One stop races suck donkey balls.

Could do with Valteri raising his game this weekend,

In case you've missed it, Valteri is currently on version 24.7. It didn't change a flying **** because Valteri isn't a racer, he is a quick qualifier.

I hope they use the harder compounds this week the last dozen laps with Lewis, Valteri & Max nursing it home was an anticlimax. Sadly no chance of rain in the forecast. Could do with Valteri raising his game this weekend, otherwise its midfield battles to watch again...

https://www.bbc.co.uk/weather/3173435
No one wants harder tyres, the race would of been a much more comfortable 1 Stop if not for the safety car.

Will be intriguing to see who will be most affected by the technical directive on engine modes. Might spice up the racing if there are now higher power modes available during the race.

Hopefully Renault can take pole and set a new lap record to make things more interesting.

Very much looking forward to Sunday's race as I do love the F1 at Monza but I am already set in my heart it's likely to be the 'Mercedes Show' once again.

Cannot see Ferrari being able to do much with the car as it is and unless Max can pull a surprise from Red Bull I think all the action will probably stem from any T1/L1 incidents.

Interested to see what happens with the engine modes from here on, sincerely hope it does something as aside from the first British GP I've found most of the races to be very uninteresting this year.

This being Formula 1, Russell and Latifi will probably crash into each other at the first corner.

After FP2.

1 sec between 5th and 18th, so with the tow there should be some tussling come Sunday.

Forget the Mercs, 0.8secs up on Norris, Gasman, Verstappen - hopefully these 3 will battle for the last podium place and Ricc.

Power unit problems for Norris, fingers crossed he doesn't copy Sainz from Spa.

Last edited:
After FP2.

1 sec between 5th and 18th, so with the tow there should be some tussling come Sunday.

Forget the Mercs, 0.8secs up on Norris, Gasman, Verstappen - hopefully these 3 will battle for the last podium place and Ricc.

Power unit problems for Norris, fingers crossed he doesn't copy Sainz from Spa.

Well Sainz had a broken exhaust so hopefully thats never gonna happen again

I predict Ferrari won't be as bad here as Spa. Their car's main problem (apart from the engine) seems to be poor aero efficiency (basically, each unit of downforce added also adds more drag than any other car). Spa is a conundrum because you need low DF for sector 1/3 and high DF for sector 2, so they were between a rock and a hard place setup wise. Monza is a pure low downforce track so they can just go low DF all the way. If all else fails, they can just remove the front/rear wings, tape the radiators/brake ducts and go for all out speed record in the race and then retire after 5 laps - a la Peugeot in 1988 Le Mans :lol:

Looking at the WCC, Ferrari's worst season so far is 1980 where they finished 10th in the championship. Reigning world champion Jody Scheckter even had a DNQ in one of the races that season. Now unless Williams magically improves their car, that's not gonna happen. Their next worst placing is 6th (1962, 1969, 1973) and that is still in the realm of possibility given Renault's recent uptick of form and a barrage of high speed tracks incoming...

Wonder if we will be getting the Monza queue in q3 again, seems even more likely with party modes gone, might be the only action we get this weekend other than the lights out rush to the chicane in the race...

This is looking like it will be a bore fest, luckily also the fastest race, around 1 hour 12 mins means il probably manage to stay awake

Wonder if we will be getting the Monza queue in q3 again, seems even more likely with party modes gone, might be the only action we get this weekend other than the lights out rush to the chicane in the race...
The queue already started during Free Practice so very likely we will see it during qualification.

A lot of speculation about the party mode (well the not party mode anymore): Probably a smaller gap in qualification but what will be the result during the race itself? New circumstance which hopefully will be attractive for us audience?

Dry Monza races are generally boring any season. I know it's sacrilege to some people, but i personally wouldn't care if it was replaced by another Italian circuit. It's not like high speeds are as fascinating and exciting as it used to be.

Dry Monza races are generally boring any season. I know it's sacrilege to some people, but i personally wouldn't care if it was replaced by another Italian circuit. It's not like high speeds are as fascinating and exciting as it used to be.
Two other Italian circuits are getting a dry run this year, we can discuss which is best in November.

Two other Italian circuits are getting a dry run this year, we can discuss which is best in November.

Yeah that's the problem really, neither of those on paper are going to be better. Mugello is going to be really bad I fear, with all the tight high speed corners. DRS into T1 might be possible and that's it. Imola was never good before, doubt the longer straight is going to change much.

The queue already started during Free Practice so very likely we will see it during qualification.

A lot of speculation about the party mode (well the not party mode anymore): Probably a smaller gap in qualification but what will be the result during the race itself? New circumstance which hopefully will be attractive for us audience?

The best you can hope for is mid field battles I guess or some de laminating tyres in the heat, although its unlikely with so few corners with high loads. I like Hamilton, but I prefer to see battles he's great when he's in pursuit of a rival. I miss the Hamilton vs Rosberg and Vettel battles of old... Wonder if the new regs have any effect today and tomorrow, be funny if its shot RB in the foot... they should focus on improving their package rather than trying to inhibit their rivals with protests.

Classic F1/FIA. They come up with a rule to stop people driving slowly then word the rule as "only a guide" so they all ignore it and presumably FIA do nothing, or worse, manage to bring opinion and judgement into what should be a simple yes/no. Cracking stuff.

Who's gonna turn their engine up and go for glory in quali and risk blowing their engine up in the race?

Surely they'll be able to drive a higher mode engine more gently in the race to lessen this effect.

Hamilton, Grosjean, Latifi and Perez have been summoned to the stewards on grounds of “driving unnecessarily slowly”, to explain the incident at the end of practice in which Hamilton, closing at huge speed differential, had to take avoiding action to avoid a crash. Gasly, Stroll, Albon and Sainz also summoned.

This is going to be messy. Hopefully nobody crashes on the way into Parabolica because they were getting close, and the F3 mess was ridiculous.

This track is a **** show period.

They need to send them out one by one in qually. But the FIA are the worst governing body ever so itll be all ****ed up as usual.

Back