Formula 1 Gran Premio Heineken D’Italia 2020Formula 1 

• Thread starter Jimlaad43
  • 595 comments
So it takes a rookie error and a red flag to make a snoozer of a race slightly more interesting.

What a time to be alive.

So it takes a rookie error and a red flag to make a snoozer of a race slightly more interesting.

What a time to be alive.

You know that some of the most iconic races in F1 history had little actual racing, right?

They're iconic because of unique circumstances like the ones we saw today.

I imagine this race will be talked about for a long time.

Last edited:
2 Penalty points for the pitlane infringement now means Hamilton is on 8 Penalty points, none of which will expire until the Bahrain Grand Prix, 1 year after the collision with Albon in Brazil. 4 more and he'll get a race ban.

Is there any way that Sainz can be kept at Mclaren? I'm just wondering, isn't it in both Mclaren's and Sainz' best interest to keep him there? I think he is doing a brilliant job, and except for Ferrari, I don't think anyone else is happy to see him leave Mclaren... I really feel for him that he has to drive that bus, especially now Mclaren really is making progress!

I think part of the issue at RB is they’re a very 1 car team. That chassis has been developed and built solely to play to Max’s strengths, and Max could well just have a driving style that’s alien compared to Gasly and Albon. You don’t go from wrestling a Toro Rosso with works outfits to being SLOWER than TR in the senior car for no reason. They must just not have the same driving style as Max, and thus can’t make the car work. Sort of like how Michael had a very oversteery driving style whilst Alonso preferred an understeery car. Michael most likely would’ve struggled in the 2005 Renault, and Fernando would’ve struggled in the 2004 Ferrari. Just how it is.
Is there any way that Sainz can be kept at Mclaren? I'm just wondering, isn't it in both Mclaren's and Sainz' best interest to keep him there? I think he is doing a brilliant job, and except for Ferrari, I don't think anyone else is happy to see him leave Mclaren... I really feel for him that he has to drive that bus, especially now Mclaren really is making progress!
They’d have to buy him back out of his contract with Ferrari, AND hand Ricciardo enough money to make him look somewhere else. Can McLaren afford that? And is it worth giving up a driver who’s proven to be one of the few capable of beating Max on raw pace? Ricciardo is one of the top 5 drivers on the grid. Basically every team beyond RB and maybe Merc would be tripping over themselves to sign him.

jRHym0m.jpg
Oops.

-

Sainz will indeed be kicking himself that he is leaving McLaren as they (finally) get their act together, while Ferrari are sinking into obscurity... but them's the breaks. With a bit of luck, Ferrari will bounce back, McLaren will continue to improve, and the regulation changes in 2022 might level the playing field a bit, so it may still turn out to be a fruitful long-term move.

-

Delighted for Gasly to win his first F1 race, but even happier for McLaren to continue on the road to recovery... it has been painful to watch them struggle, but it's great to see them back at the sharp end so consistently.

Fantastic race, one I didn't actually watch live as I decided to watch the Cricket and Football over this as I thought it would be boring and lo and behold the one race I don't watch live turned out to a a cracker!

Massive congrats to Gasly. 👍

Yep here also a delay of two hours. So had to miss all the live chat. What a race!!
Pierre is the new Panis. Well deserved victoire for him

Even knowing all the circumstances, it still feels really weird to say that AlphaTauri is only 14 points behind Ferrari in the constructors' championship.

What a time to be alive.

Actually for what its worth the race was still entertaining before it all kicked off. Mclaren were punching through in 2nd and 3rd, Racing point were up there, Renault were troubling Bottas and there was action all the way down the field.

Actually for what its worth the race was still entertaining before it all kicked off. Mclaren were punching through in 2nd and 3rd, Racing point were up there, Renault were troubling Bottas and there was action all the way down the field.

No it wasn't. Hamilton was long gone, and even though almost everyone was in DRS range of each other, nothing happened apart from maybe 1 or 2 standard overtakes.

No it wasn't. Hamilton was long gone, and even though almost everyone was in DRS range of each other, nothing happened apart from maybe 1 or 2 standard overtakes.

Well I'm sorry you didn't enjoy it. Stating "no it wasn't" implies fact and that I'm wrong in my personal opinion.

The race winner being decided early on doesn't make a race boring. Brazil 2016 was an epic race even though Hamilton did nothing but lead without making a mistake. Stop being a pessimist and lighten up, you might just enjoy yourself for once.

The race winner being decided early on doesn't make a race boring. Brazil 2016 was an epic race even though Hamilton did nothing but lead without making a mistake. Stop being a pessimist and lighten up, you might just enjoy yourself for once.

I prefer the term realist. And who said that I didn't enjoy myself? The race was ass, just like the season is going, right up the shenanigans happened. And if you think otherwise, you're delusional.

It is clear that F1 needs crashes, mistakes and cars breaking down. The cars and most of the drivers are too clinical to give us entertainment in just racing. Nothing but kudos for Mercedes for having the complete package for all these years but it is killing the spectacle of F1.

I prefer the term realist. And who said that I didn't enjoy myself? The race was ass, just like the season is going, right up the shenanigans happened. And if you think otherwise, you're delusional.

It is clear that F1 needs crashes, mistakes and cars breaking down. The cars and most of the drivers are too clinical to give us entertainment in just racing. Nothing but kudos for Mercedes for having the complete package for all these years but it is killing the spectacle of F1.
You must have been watching another replay of France 2019 because you're clearly not watching what literally everyone else in this thread was watching. If you can't enjoy a good race, stop watching because we don't need to hear this drivel.

You must have been watching another replay of France 2019 because you're clearly not watching what literally everyone else in this thread was watching. If you can't enjoy a good race, stop watching because we don't need to hear this drivel.

Sure bud. Is your inner prisonermonkeys making that come back again?

I don’t know about not entertaining. This seems to be some of the best mid-pack competition in a long time. McLaren, Renault, Racing Point, AlphaTauri, & Albon all seem to be battling hard. I’d only wish their ability to battle for podiums was more consistent. It was fun seeing Renault last weekend with Danny battle and this weekend with Sainz and Stroll. Then we had, I believe, Perez making a strong start back at the Red Bull Ring.

So the winners will probably remain the same, next 9 out of 10 races but I’m enjoying everyone else’ fights.

The midpack battle is always pretty good, but this season it seems more competitive. We know Hamilton is going to win, but we knew that for the past few years. And 2021 should be the same. I can still enjoy the midfield or back of the field racing, even if the drivers don't have a shot at the championship.

Well that was a turn up for the books, and what a cracking race it was. 2020 has hardly been the worst/dullest season to date, as it's not like Mercedes dominance is a new thing, they've as strong and on top of their game as ever. With the current crop of cars, it's mind-boggling to watch the speeds they take through the corners, and watching that W11 Merc with Hamilton in qualifying in sector 2 underlines that :eek:. If nothing else, from an engineering perspective it's awesome to just watch and appreciate what these current cars can do, though granted that doesn't guarantee great racing.

However, back to the race, what a race it was. I was actually enjoying the race as it unfolded before all the safety car shenanigans that came. Hamilton was peerless as ever pulling away at the front, but with Bottas cocking up the start it made the race fascinating seeing what would unfold, with him dropping back and both McLarens and Perez assuming their places ahead. It was great to see both McLarens at the sharp end again, and Sainz's P2 was well deserved and with Norris P4. Ferrari, well it never rains but it pours, feel sorry for Sainz with the dog of a car he'll have to endure next year, and Leclerc too...

As for the safety car and all that followed? Well I think the need for the safety car was a bit of a "Hollywood call" as Coulthard put it in commentary, but for the action that resulted afterwards I'm not complaining! I can understand what was said with the pit-closure notice boards being so far out to left of Parabolica, hard to see in the drivers eye-line, a traffic light at the start of the pits as wella s the end wouldn't go amiss. Nevertheless, the penalties for Giovinazzi and Hamilton were fair given it's a simple rule break at the end of the day. A rare rookie mistake to make as well, especially for Mercedes. Though Hamilton was able to make the charging progress Bottas was not; that's the key difference between the two of them as drivers. I don't think Bottas is a bad driver at all, his efforts at Williams prove he's decent, but comparing previous car performances isn't all that reliable, only have to look at Albon and how he's suffered at Red Bull. Just not on Hamiltons level is Bottas, mind not many are.

Red Bull had a bad day, though Monza has never been there strongest in the hybrid era. With the struggles Gasly had last year, and with how Albons struggling this year, it underlines the way Red Bull have built that car/team around Max it'd seem. I reckon it's best to keep Albon 'till the end of the year, and evaluate whether he stays on at the end of the season. As a young driver with his confidence shaky, chucking him back at Alpha Tauri won't do him much good, neither is moving Gasly back to RB the best for him right now either I think. Who speaking of which, drove a great race again, he's on fine form this year is Gasly, really settled back into Alpha Tauri and he's giving RB a real headache right now (and rightfully so). Albon needs time to develop and the support of a team that's committed to both it's drivers, if going back to Alpha Tauri next year is the answer, so be it, just leave the chopping and changing until the end of the season, he has potential.

Overall though another Faenza fairytale at Monza and a fantastic 1st time win for Gasly 👍.

Last edited:
Red Bull had a bad day, though Monza has never been there strongest in the hybrid era. With the struggles Gasly had last year, and with how Albons struggling this year, it underlines the way Red Bull have built that car/team around Max it'd seem. I reckon it's best to keep Albon 'till the end of the year, and evaluate whether he stays on at the end of the season. As a young driver with his confidence shaky, chucking him back at Alpha Tauri won't do him much good, neither is moving Gasly back to RB the best for him right now either I think. Who speaking of which, drove a great race again, he's on fine form this year is Gasly, really settled back into Alpha Tauri and he's giving RB a real headache right now (and rightfully so). Albon needs time to develop and the support of a team that's committed to both it's drivers, if going back to Alpha Tauri next year is the answer, so be it, just leave the chopping and changing until the end of the season, he has potential.

Overall though another Faenza fairytale at Monza and a fantastic 1st time win for Gasly 👍.
Red Bull will look very stupid if they re-instated Gasly right now. However Albon is looking a bit rubbish to be honest, and based on what's happened in the past, it seems strange to let him stay. Albon better start performing or he won't be asked back to Red Bull.

Of course, the race I didn't chose to watch get to be the most exciting one of the season :banghead: My jaw dropped when I saw the results this morning :drool: Holy hell. Just spent an hour trying to piece together what happened from here, the F1 site and race highlights on YT. Man, this is why I love F1. Not every race has to be exciting, but when it happens, it makes the wait worth it :D

Couple of thoughts:

Pierre - redemption arc complete. Getting dropped from a top team, losing his best friend and getting his house burgled and he just kept his head down. First podium last year, outperformed his machinery every race this year and now first win. Yes he got lucky with circumstances but you still gotta be in it to win it. Massive congratulations and first of many I'm sure. I wouldn't want him back at RB though because that seat is cursed. Or maybe RB should just repaint an Alpha Tauri chassis and run 3 AT cars and reserve their car only for Max :lol:

Hamilton - just got unlucky with the pitlane infringement. Seems a bit odd why they would close the pitlane due to Magnussen's position, because cars are still going through that place on the track anyways and going into the pits doesn't really make a difference. In any case, showed his class today and a beastly recovery drive means his championship lead is barely touched.

Bottas - ugh. Poor start, unable to overtake, just generally an uninspiring performance when he could've capitalised on Lewis' bad day. This is why he'll never be champion. Get Russel in this seat (or even Gasly after today).

Ferrari - as bad as this sounds, 2x DNFs probably are less humiliating than finishing outside the top 10. Vettel just has no luck. Charles' snap just shows how much of a dog that car is to drive.

Sainz - unlucky with circumstances otherwise definitely would've won today. In fact one more lap and he probably would've. 2nd place is still a great result but unless we get another crazy race like this I feel he's going to wait a long time for another podium by going to Ferrari next year...

Stroll - lucked out with a free pitstop during red flag. Poor getaway on second restart compromised his chance of a win. Honestly Stroll has really impressed me this year compared to Perez and I would be happy with him keeping his seat next year. Surprised that this is RP's first podium this year despite all the hype in testing.

Ricciardo - neither here nor there. He probably doesn't really care anyway and just looking forward to next season with McMerc.

Williams - gutted Latifi didn't get points. Would've been a nice send off to the family. Thank you Frank, your legacy will never be forgotten.

Alfa - totally rubbish car (and not helped by the engine). Kimi pretty much fell back like a rock. Gio is nowhere and also another driver that doesn't deserve to be on the grid.

Haas - thank you Magnussen for being the joker card this race. Otherwise, another disappointing race and probably has the least desirable seats in F1 right now.

Albon - *chuckles* I'm in danger. Honestly, the Max' freakish talents are probably flattering the Red Bull chassis. He also had some floor damage from the 1st lap contact I believe. Adrian Newey is infamous for making fast cars with a lot of vices. Either RB needs to run 3 AT cars like I said above, or they just gotta suck it up that they let Danny Ric go and are paying the price now. Crazy thought but maybe Hulk can step in?

Can't wait for the upcoming set of races on new tracks. I'm hoping we'll see more shakeups like these but Mercedes usually only has one bogey race each season (2015 Hungary, 2016 Spain, 2017 Monaco, 2018 Austria, 2019 Germany and of course today), so my feeling is they've used up all their bad luck this year :lol: :scared:

Back