Formula 1 Gran Premio Heineken D’Italia 2020Formula 1 

• Thread starter Jimlaad43
  • 595 comments
Can't wait for the upcoming set of races on new tracks. I'm hoping we'll see more shakeups like these but Mercedes usually only has one bogey race each season (2015 Hungary, 2016 Spain, 2017 Monaco, 2018 Austria, 2019 Germany and of course today), so my feeling is they've used up all their bad luck this year :lol: :scared:
You're forgetting Brazil last year and the second race at Silverstone this year.

You're forgetting Brazil last year and the second race at Silverstone this year.

Yeah I probably missed a few they didn't win as well. I just picked the absolute worsts of the years I remember. Brazil wasn't that bad compared to the shocker that is Germany. The 70A GP wasn't that bad considering both cars still ended up on the podium.

You must have been watching another replay of France 2019 because you're clearly not watching what literally everyone else in this thread was watching. If you can't enjoy a good race, stop watching because we don't need to hear this drivel.
France in both 18 and 19 had more on-track action than half the season. Mercs dominated from the front, but the midfield race was filled with battles both years.

They’d have to buy him back out of his contract with Ferrari, AND hand Ricciardo enough money to make him look somewhere else. Can McLaren afford that? And is it worth giving up a driver who’s proven to be one of the few capable of beating Max on raw pace? Ricciardo is one of the top 5 drivers on the grid. Basically every team beyond RB and maybe Merc would be tripping over themselves to sign him.

My error, I already forgot Ricciardo is going to Mclaren!

The new regs can't come sooner, with the ground effect and more simple body work, passing will be mich easier, the DRS trains that happen now seem to doom a massive chunk of the grid to a position in the low drag tracks.

There could be a solution with the DRS trains that the FIA could do such as no drs if your zoned in from two sides or something but I feel that would make it even more gimmicky then it already is.

I definitely think some tracks need a different qualifying format then others, Monza could benefit from that qualifying race format or a one shot style for say the top 10 or something.

Sure bud. Is your inner prisonermonkeys making that come back again?
PM was never positive and trying to make people actually enjoy an enjoyable race, something you're seemingly incapable of doing unless Max wins.

PM was never positive and trying to make people actually enjoy an enjoyable race, something you're seemingly incapable of doing unless Max wins.
But you do come off as a Massive current F1 Yes Man when clearly most of the races are dull as dishwater.

An actual race for the lead(with different teams so you don't get team orders) can make a much better race, we just don't get that regularly at all and a few midfield DRS passes doesn't change that fact.

vVkoPPU.gif

I mostly agree with @Dennisch here. Yes, the end result was highly enjoyable and the last few laps of Sainz chasing Gasly down was exciting but the rest wasn't. Post first lap and pre-safety car there were zero overtakes IIRC, just the usual Monza trains with Hamilton cruising along at the front. Then the SC comes out, mixes up the field, and the second half of the race was Hamilton DRS'ing to catch up and everyone slipping past Kimi. Which again was better than nothing, but hardly edge of your seat stuff.

Was it a bad race? Far from it, for the aforementioned reasons, but there is no doubt most of the excitement and interest came from who was up the front, not what was actually happening.

But you do come off as a Massive current F1 Yes Man when clearly most of the races are dull as dishwater.

An actual race for the lead(with different teams so you don't get team orders) can make a much better race, we just don't get that regularly at all and a few midfield DRS passes doesn't change that fact.

OK, so basically modern F1 then, Mercedes, Ferrari, Red Bull, Rosberg v Hamilton. You can't claim an opinion as fact, your opinion of it being dull goes against many other opinions who don't find it dull. Just accept that people out there can like and enjoy things you don't.

Last edited:
Some people like train spotting, some people don't even register a pulse unless they're on fire while skydiving from Concorde into an acid lake of robot sharks.

Pretty sure we don't all have to derive the same level of enjoyment from the same thing.

"Formula 1 is set to revisit running reverse grid sprint races at select race weekends in the wake of Sunday's dramatic Italian Grand Prix at Monza."
Motorsport

Ive no problem with a reverse grid race as a seperate entity in itself after the usual quali and race, but they want to scrap qualifying for it, which seems anti speed... The issue is overtaking is so difficult on some circuits it would be a completely pointless endeavour at Monaco or Singapore for example lol

Last edited:
I reckon an 80-minute race followed by a 40-minute sprint/reverse grid race later in the day would be great.

I don't think it would radically affect the WDC standings - it would just provide more entertainment and more exposure for other drivers...

I reckon an 80-minute race followed by a 40-minute sprint/reverse grid race later in the day would be great.

I don't think it would radically affect the WDC standings - it would just provide more entertainment and more exposure for other drivers...
Upon hearing this news, Hamilton is racing to the stewards' office to voice his complaint(s).

In terms of motorsport no reverse grid is a more pure form of racing. But if they want more entertainment, it certainly wouldn't hurt.

I reckon reverse grid race results would effectively average out over the season, while non-reverse gird races would not.

Hence, it wouldn't change the Driver Standings - but it would create a whole new spectacle.

It would also double* the chances of some excitement at the very front of the race... the asterisk is because there is precious little excitement at the front in a standard race weekend at the moment, barring some misfortune or rules breach (like what just happened at Monza).

My Grandad always used to say that if wet races were so exciting, then why not water the track to make more races wet races... I still think he wasn't far off the mark with that line of thinking... except for the arbitrary nature of deciding when/if to soak a track (not to mention the the obvious and unnecessary danger it would add)...

But the point being, a second race would be technically no different to the race that proceeded it other than the starting positions, and hence neither arbitrary or more dangerous.

That said, my Grandad also used to call a certain German driver "Hank Karl Frenchman"...

I simply do not like the principle of reverse grid races. And yes, I'll still bitch and moan about the spectacle. I am aware of my position, I'm not claiming to have the answer on how to make races exciting more often than not, I just don't think that that is the solution.

Hamilton has shown he can still get to the front when starting last so he shouldn't really complain if this happens. I wish they did this in 2012, what I'd give to see the HRTs on the front row...

I simply do not like the principle of reverse grid races. And yes, I'll still bitch and moan about the spectacle. I am aware of my position, I'm not claiming to have the answer on how to make races exciting more often than not, I just don't think that that is the solution.

I'm of the same mind. The spergernaut in me is screaming that it's just wrong. Wrong wrong wrong. It's wrong.

How about using all three tyre compounds in the race? That could throw up some interesting strategy choices.

Reverse championship order grid qualifying races wouldn't be any more arbitrary than the current system. They obviously wouldn't work at every track, but why should every race use the same qualifying system? There is no non-arbitrary way to determine starting order. Even in a mass start being further to the right or left or closer to the centre may pose an advantage.

Ultimately if the best teams can't get through to the front in a 20 minute reverse championship order qualifying sprint race then they should be able to get through to the front in a 305 kilometre grand prix.

Reverse grid Isn't something that overtly punishes the leader especially if done on championship order well into the season, all the main rivals for the championship are next to them.

As opposed to DRS which naturally punishes the driver infront I would say from a sporting perspective Reverse grids are more fair.

I guess we should congratulate George Russell ahead of his 2021 Monaco GP win if we're doing reverse grids...

They are talking about doing it for particular tracks not all of them.

Yawn. TCR does it every 2nd race on every given weekend, no matter the track they're at, and it's usually a success. If you're going to choose where you want reverse grids and where you don't, just don't do it at all.

F1 and kneejerk reactions, always a great pair. /s

Just like we had the purposely degrading tyres for years almost solely because of the 2010 Canadian GP, now reverse grid races are back on the table because of one race. Races like Monza are special and exciting because they don't happen very often, and because they happen organically when you least expect it. If you're going to do reverse grids, that excitement and surprise aspect are gone.

It also devalues the winner a bit. Yes, Gasly had some luck to get into his position but he also drove a mistake free race from start to finish and earned it when others faltered. If he wins a race because he is 10 places ahead of the frontrunners from the start it doesn't mean as much. Reverse grid winners in other series are always looked on lesser than regular races in the same series.

F1 doesn't need more gimmicks to fix its problems.

Get rid of mandatory tyres, make pit stops optional for strategies. So if Williams fancy doing the entire race on the hard tyre without pitting then so be it, if Mercedes want to do a 2 stop soft tyre strategy let them, & McLaren might want to try a 1 stop medium run to the end. Just give them free choice to open up strategic possibilities if they want.

Another idea is Race 1 qualifying tyres are free choice, but from that point on if you went out in Q1 then the next race qualifying you can use free choice, if you went out in Q2 then the next qualifying your limited to medium & hards, but if you make it to the Q1 (top 10) then the following qualifying you have to run with hards only. This would give the slower teams of the previous week a chance to get higher starting positions.

Also get rid of the having to start on the tyre you qualified your quickest Q2 time on.

On a stupid extreme level to keep the pack closer, if you go out in Q1 you get a 3 second drs activation range, Q2 = 2 seconds & Q1 (top 10) keeps the normal 1 second activation range.

But personally I'd scrap drs.

Last edited:
Back