FORMULA 1 Gran Premio Heineken D'Italia 2018Formula 1 

• Thread starter Dennisch
  • 267 comments
Max is full of it today.

After his petulant "I know I am losing time to Vettel, but I really don't care."
radio message, he defended the move on Bottas in the post-race interview by saying:
"I did it in a fair way, I left him enough space."

However much space you leave, you're not allowed to weave under braking. They made that rule because of you.

What a talented driver. But what an awful idiot.
They got rid of that rule shortly after though. Vettel is the only one that ever got a penalty for that rule. You can move back to the racing line but you have to leave enough space for a car on the outside. Wich he didn't do enough so the penalty is fair imo.

But damn what a race ! Really enjoyed this one.

From what I'm seeing in those comments, seems like this one was another cracking race. Just relocated to a new country and that's 2 F1 races that I've missed because of my "temporary living arrangement"....this is really frustrating and I feel like I'm missing it out on some good actions. :banghead:

This is not completely related question but is there a reason why F1 TV Pro is not supported in Canada???????????????????????? :confused:
I mean there is a Canadian Grand Prix for :censored:sake!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Licensing - the same reason F1 TV Pro is not available in the UK due to Sky holding the broadcasting rights to F1. There'll almost certainly be a Canadian broadcaster that holds the rights to the territory, and F1 media can't offer F1 TV Pro in Canada until those rights expire, or the broadcaster is prepared to compromise, which they won't given the money that F1 brings in.

Max is full of it today.

After his petulant "I know I am losing time to Vettel, but I really don't care."
radio message, he defended the move on Bottas in the post-race interview by saying:
"I did it in a fair way, I left him enough space."

However much space you leave, you're not allowed to weave under braking. They made that rule because of you.

What a talented driver. But what an awful idiot.
I wonder if they sat him down in front of a replay and asked him to explain the space he left, how he'd respond. :lol:

Kimi's main problem was Ferrari getting tricked into the pitstop by Mercedes. Look how long Hamilton and Bottas kept that SS tyre going.
It feels like Kimi experienced what I'd seen Bottas fall victim in the few races I've seen, with tires giving out just short of the finish line. The only difference is Bottas doesn't push the hell out of tires when the strategy doesn't call for it.

While I agree it was a harsh move, many drivers today did that “squeeze to the outside right before turning in” thing today

My pre-race prediction was that Kimi would not lead out of the first chicane for the benefit of Vettel. I'm glad I didn't put money on it.

Post - race thoughs:
  • Very entertaining race. Lewis and Kimi both drove great. I wouldn't mind if Kimi took the win, but regardless of what Bottas did, I'm not sure he would have held on given the state of his rear tires. We'll never know.
  • Max being typical Max in the way he responded to the penalty. If he played it a bit more calmly, he may have only lost one position instead of two. Maybe unlikely with Vettel's pace, but Max didn't help himself at the end there.
  • Vettel goes from bad scenario to a 4th place finish.
Singapore is next, which in recent history has not been a Mercedes track. The championship is far from over, and that's what I like to see!

Mercedes won today not Hamilton, a shame that Kimi didn't get a clean shot but that chance was dead with a Mercedes wingman in front.

Still the best race of the season

Because that rule doesn't exist anymore and that is perfectly legal to do.

https://www.autosport.com/f1/news/128600/fia-drops-verstappen-rule-for-braking-zones
I almost forgot about this whole FIAsco :D
Today's move and penalty is well, debatable to say the least. It's another example of track limits dilemma, if you can put 2 (or 3) wheels outside of white lines in qualy, then why can't you push you rival to that extent?
If we stick to white lines rule, then Hamilton didn't leave Vettel enough space, even though we all know it was a legitimate move.
So yeah, harsh move, and imo undeserved penalty. Especially as it allowed Bottas to just chill and not attempt another pass, robbing us of great finish to the race

Mercedes won today not Hamiton

Weird what people will write to discredit Hamilton. Over on Reddit people say it's "luck" whenever Hamilton outqualifies everyone on the wet now with this race he didn't win the race his team did. I don't think his team (or any other driver on the grid, maybe max or Alonso) have the balls to pull what Hamilton pulled on the second chicane on lap 1. His team certainly didn't help Hamilton put in consistently fast laps throughout the race to keep up with Kimi whilst having the slightly slower car. Everyone is talking about Bottas holding up Kimi and how merc are screwing himbut no one is wondering why he's so far behind Lewis in the first place.

adb
I almost forgot about this whole FIAsco :D
Today's move and penalty is well, debatable to say the least. It's another example of track limits dilemma, if you can put 2 (or 3) wheels outside of white lines in qualy, then why can't you push you rival to that extent?
If we stick to white lines rule, then Hamilton didn't leave Vettel enough space, even though we all know it was a legitimate move.
So yeah, harsh move, and imo undeserved penalty. Especially as it allowed Bottas to just chill and not attempt another pass, robbing us of great finish to the race
The regulations define the white line as the edge of the track so by those rules the penalty is fair since Verstappen did not leave a cars width of space between him and the edge of the track (aka the white line). But we all know that rule doesn't always apply. Imo it was a a fair penalty and I am a Dutch Max Verstappen fan.

Not sure if Hamilton forced Vettel to cross the White line. Even if he did they all cross the white line there going trough there. I have to closely analyse to be sure but I think Hamilton left enough space but Vettel went in to fast to use that space.

adb
If we stick to white lines rule, then Hamilton didn't leave Vettel enough space

I get what you're saying but that doesn't really hold water - at no time were all four of Vettel's wheels outside the white line, and every driver takes their left-front over that curb on the way into that chicane.

Yes he did.

He gave Vettel the Apex and space on the inside. Vettel just had too much understeer and didn’t give Lewis room. If Lewis has been any further to the right of the track he’d have been on the ‘sleeping policemen’.
I get what you're saying but that doesn't really hold water - at no time were all four of Vettel's wheels outside the white line, and every driver takes their left-front over that curb on the way into that chicane.
You know, I actually acknowledged the fact that Lewis' move was ok, like a comma later :D
I just used this example to point out the fact that this "track is defined by white lines" rule isn't always enforced (and it shouldn't be). IMO it was harsh but acceptable for Max to squeeze Valtteri to that green stuff, which would mean putting two wheels over white line.

adb
You know, I actually acknowledged the fact that Lewis' move was ok, like a comma later :D

I saw that - but there are no circumstances at that corner in which the "white line" rule would be enforced (short of a driver passing entirely inside the kerb), that's what I was trying to point out.

I watched the incident with max a few times, but in my opinion Bottas had enough room left to avoid Max's defensive move. Hes shouldnt have gotten that penalty.

What happened with Vettel's unsafe release?
Forgot about that. Ted said it was a slamdunk.

Edit: Just seen this on twitter. Looks pretty conclusive!

And another. No idea how he didn't get penalised for that.

Last edited:
adb
I just used this example to point out the fact that this "track is defined by white lines" rule isn't always enforced (and it shouldn't be). IMO it was harsh but acceptable for Max to squeeze Valtteri to that green stuff, which would mean putting two wheels over white line.
Max didn’t force Bottas wide, he hit him off the track.

It was a penalty because, as Rocky had already explained, he’d already ‘played his joker’. Max misjudged the gap and caused unnecessary contact, that’s all. He then decided to ruin his own race.

Weird what people will write to discredit Hamilton. Over on Reddit people say it's "luck" whenever Hamilton outqualifies everyone on the wet now with this race he didn't win the race his team did. I don't think his team (or any other driver on the grid, maybe max or Alonso) have the balls to pull what Hamilton pulled on the second chicane on lap 1. His team certainly didn't help Hamilton put in consistently fast laps throughout the race to keep up with Kimi whilst having the slightly slower car. Everyone is talking about Bottas holding up Kimi and how merc are screwing himbut no one is wondering why he's so far behind Lewis in the first place.

That's a lot of words. So tell us would Hamilton have won without team orders?

And before you go on another tangent, Hamilton made the perfect move on vettel and got that place fair and square and Bottas is nowhere as fast as Hamilton . .

I watched the incident with max a few times, but in my opinion Bottas had enough room left to avoid Max's defensive move. Hes shouldnt have gotten that penalty.

Except for being wrong you are right about leaving enough space.. Until he drove into him.

Max Verstappen made a mistake and as usual blames everyone for the consequences and decides that the team does not deserve points because his pride is more important . Except for the fact that Bottas is going to get that podium no matter if he passes or not..

Just saw this on Reddit, although I'd love to take personal credit :D

To finish first, first you must not be Finnish.

B'dum tsshhh.
Quite ironic that all the smug Brits are patting each others' backs for a great joke and praising Princess Louise for doing an amazing job without realizing that he was nearly seven seconds behind and falling further before his Austrian boss used his Finnish team mate to save his race.

Speaking of that team mate, damn the man is a joke. I wonder if he still believes he has a bright future ahead of him, surely he's a true Mr. Nice Guy but he couldn't be any more of a puppet if he tried to and he doesn't even seem to realize it himself. He seemingly still buys everything Wolff says to him about equality and fair racing and that he's just having back luck with his strategy choices.

Last edited:
but there are no circumstances at that corner in which the "white line" rule would be enforced
And how, according to rules, is a white line at that corner different to white line into T1? That’s the point I was tryin to make :P
Max didn’t force Bottas wide, he hit him off the track.

It was a penalty because, as Rocky had already explained, he’d already ‘played his joker’. Max misjudged the gap and caused unnecessary contact, that’s all. He then decided to ruin his own race.
How do you hit somebody who’s coming from behind? He squeezed him, Bottas refused to go on the green concrete/ asphalt kerb, and they made contact.

Back