Formula 1 Grand Prix De Monaco 2021Formula 1 

• Thread starter Samus
  • 349 comments
They should just change the Monaco grand prix to something else. Let it not be a race anymore but maybe some time attack like event and the winner would be whichever driver has the average best time over the session....I feel like that would be a lot more fun because let's face it, With those cars, they can't race there. Its a procession and frankly it really is super boring to watch on TV. Also when drivers can only overtake other driver based on their pit stop, that's just not helping at all.

This race in a nutshell:

Leclerc's mechanics: I am stupid.

Mercedes: hold my Ferrari strategists and Haas pit crew.

Also, if the FIA can grant special dispensation for Monaco to keep holding a GP in this day and age, I'm sure they can also make up a special rule to get the drivers in alternate cars just for 1 GP. If 60s F1 cars are too dangerous, then put them in identical Mini Coopers or something :lol:

Bugatti Type 35 or Type 51 replicas, with halos and rollbars fitted, built by Pur Sang. Make Monaco a special one-make race using those, and award double points. With the guardrails and catch fencing in place, of course. Teams can paint sponsorship liveries on the cars if they want. Early 1930s GP cars had a much easier time overtaking here.

In terms of a Top 10 finish that was close to my ideal one (would have been nice to have seen a Leclerc win though!) - a win for Max, propelling him and RB into the lead; a real comeback for Vettel and a double points finish for Aston Martin; Ferrari back on the podium; Lando on the podium in those brilliant Gulf colours; Alfa Romeo in the points; Alpha Tauri beating Mercedes. Don't get me wrong, I'm a big Lewis fan and think he's insanely talented but unchallenged Mercedes dominance has become stale.

Other comments:
Starting to think that Alonso's critics may be right sadly - whatever the Alpine's issues, Ocon outdid him. Really disappointing performance from Danny Ric, I imagine he's regretting his move. If he doesn't pick up the pace I doubt they'll keep him on. Brown has said he'd like an Indy driver to be in F1 and so I imagine a Norris/O'Ward team with Norris as the number one driver may be a reality in the future.

Saw a comment in an F1 FB group earlier where someone commented along the lines that Haas serve no purpose and a proper racing team wouldn't just completely write off a season and even though I'm a Haas fan it's hard to disagree - even with Williams in 2019 you get the impression they were still wanting to fight. Really nice move from Mick at the very beginning though - one of the few overtakes of the race! Hoping he gets picked up by a bigger team before too long. Personally, my fantasy would be him signing to a Red Bull/Porsche team.

They should just change the Monaco grand prix to something else. Let it not be a race anymore but maybe some time attack like event and the winner would be whichever driver has the average best time over the session....I feel like that would be a lot more fun because let's face it, With those cars, they can't race there. Its a procession and frankly it really is super boring to watch on TV. Also when drivers can only overtake other driver based on their pit stop, that's just not helping at all.

Agree completely! It's a beautiful track and the Formula E was exciting there but it's just not made for modern F1 cars. I'm a huge rally fan and so always love the quali sessions but the race is always a snoozefest. A time attack would be great.

Last edited:
This is something that I thought similar as well. Let all 20 cars run an individual lap time, like a shoot out. Slowest guy gets booted. Repeat. Obviously the Tier 3 and Tier 2 teams won't have a shot at winning, but it could make things more interesting knowing the final 5 drivers that could consist of Charles, Max, Lewis, Valtteri, & maybe Carlos/Lando would actually have a legitimate shot at beating the other 4 for the fastest lap overall. Fastest guy overall at the end of the day even if he didn't win still gets an extra point.

Obviously, there would be issues like keeping the track temps. optimal, the guys at the end of a run will get a better benefit of others laying down rubber, the cars sitting waiting for their turn, and of course, it would be really repetitive (although I guess one can argue it is already). But, I think it could lead to surprising finishes if Qualifying was anything to go by with Charles, Pierre, Lewis, or Antonio. Just spit balling a bit as I think you're onto a good idea at mixing this venue up. Could be done as a test next year like how they're testing 3 Sprint Qualifying races this season.

Last edited:
More insight into why HAM was annoyed at his team.

https://the-race.com/formula-1/how-mercedes-handled-hamiltons-monaco-qualifying-annoyance/

Hamilton said he would be giving the team critical feedback in private and intimated he had wanted to go in a different direction on Saturday in light of the cooler conditions than Thursday, which may have avoided the problems he faced with the tyres.

“There was one particular aspect of tyre heating that we discussed in the morning, and on Thursday night where we could have taken a different direction – a direction that he was interested to pursue that we didn’t.

Add onto that they brought him in too early when it is rarely a good idea at Monaco and it's easy to see why he was annoyed.

That was my first time watching a Monaco GP in full and god it was awful. And I thought the Abu Dhabi GP was bad. Obligatory bad luck for Bottas, and this must've been one of the worst cases for him yet. I feel the need to burn a goat or say a prayer for him.

The 2021 Monaco Grand Prix was bad

The 2021 Monaco Grand Prix result was so good though it certainly made up for it.

If ever a race needed a late Safety Car it was that one, but I suppose well done to the drivers for keeping it out the wall. Even if that was because nobody was near enough to force an error. Monaco should specifically have a rule saying they have to use all 3 tyre compounds as it would give us less tyre saving and an extra round of pit stops to spice this race in particular up as the pitstops are where the race happens.

FIA to change rules so you can run the whole season on one set of tires.

That used to be the case. Back in the 60s and 70s, tyres and pit stops were completely off the radar in the races. Now, they're often the only things that make the races interesting.

Last edited:

I don't think it needs anything as dramatic as that. As one of the oldest races i can't see the authorities wanting the Monaco GP to be anything other than a traditional race.

I say they should allow the whole circuit to be a DRS zone, with the drivers using their own discretion as to when they do and don't use it, and then extend the gap needed between following cars to two seconds. As well as it being a half points Saturday sprint race that decides the feature-length reverse grid Sunday race.

You'd maybe end up with some teams going with the traditional high-downforce set up and some trying their luck with a lower-downforce set-up given that overtaking will be made easier. It would also probably lead to more safety car periods too, which always helps at Monte Carlo.

This race highlighted an issue with the cost cap regulations that I don't have an answer for: no team is going to permit a driver to have a go at an overtake to that could result in expensive damage. They can't afford to crash, so even if a pass is slightly possible, they can't - generally - afford to risk it.

More insight into why HAM was annoyed at his team.

https://the-race.com/formula-1/how-mercedes-handled-hamiltons-monaco-qualifying-annoyance/

Add onto that they brought him in too early when it is rarely a good idea at Monaco and it's easy to see why he was annoyed.
With so much credit given to Lewis on his ability to manage his tires and seemingly knowing how to get the absolute most out of them, I figured the team would roll with whatever route he thought might be best in regards to them.
Meanwhile the longest pitstop in history is still ongoing as the wheel still can't be removed from BOTs car this morning, going back to the factory like that.

https://www.racefans.net/2021/05/24/mercedes-still-unable-to-remove-wheel-from-bottas-car/
Bono, my tyre won't go.

You win some, you lose some.

He has won a lot of races while questioning the strategy, this time it just didn’t work out. They shouldn’t have been starting that far down the order anyway.

I would give this race a 1/10 but at least the result was good for the championship battle. I’m sure both Mercs will be back in the next race.

Last edited:
Whenever Serena Williams wins her next Grand Slam title they should interview Verstappen in his race suit and cap right before she gets the trophy for no reason whatsoever.

Exactly this. It capped off a weird weekend that's probably best forgotten.

Anyone here knows I'm a huge F1 fan with a pedantic love of the tradition and that I'm fiercely resistant to it changing. With that said I've come away from this weekend feeling like the sport needs a je ne sais quoi. Bring on the sprint qualis, let's get the big ally wheels on, sack off Monaco and the whole reliance on retro glory, lets move on into something modern, fast and exciting. Because this weekend seemed anything but.

I think Monaco is great. Everyone can always not watch it if they don't like it.

We had Ferrari fighting for the win and had the pole sitter crash out. You wouldn't get that at any other homogenous track on the calendar.

We had Ferrari fighting for the win and had the pole sitter crash out. You wouldn't get that at any other homogenous track on the calendar.

:lol:

This was a big part of the weekend but it kind of faded away as the race went on. However, I think it could be bigger for Ferrari than we think. And particularly for Binotto. This is a ****-up that will hurt Ferrari more than any of their others. Well, most of them. Not checking a driveshaft part after a lateral right-rear impact? They effectively admitted a systemic failure by making an immediate systemic improvement.

We can never know how the race would have unfolded with Leclerc in front of Verstappen into Turn 1 but there's no reason for Ferrari to think that their car couldn't have held Verstappen for the whole race. There's no reason to think they didn't pitch the pole battle just right but then throw away a win in Monaco, the home of F1, the home Ferrari's customer base. This is very very bad for Binotto, I think.

EDIT: Some German publications are saying that Bottas stopped short in the box leading to a bad angle for the airgun and the machining of the wheel nut. It's not clear if Mercedes are trying to lay the blame on Bottas or just explain the technicalities of what happened but The Internet is going with the first option and exploding. A little bit.

EDIT 2: Pictures of Bottas's knackered nut. I'd thought the problem was the axle thread, looks like it was the nut itself?

Last edited:
I don't care how boring the race is - if Hamilton and Mercedes are struggling, I'm going to watch it because there's nothing more satisfying than that.

I am such a bad sport. But at least we have a proper championship fight now. Oh, and another thing - this is Verstappen's 7th season in the sport, Hamilton has 7 championships, he finished 7th in this race, and 21 (as in 2021) is a multiple of 7... Have the stars aligned or is it just me? I guess we'll find out later.

Last edited:
EDIT: Some German publications are saying that Bottas stopped short in the box leading to a bad angle for the airgun and the machining of the wheel nut. It's not clear if Mercedes are trying to lay the blame on Bottas or just explain the technicalities of what happened but The Internet is going with the first option and exploding. A little bit.

Well, the other three gunners managed fine and it's not like stopping in the wrong place is a new thing. There has to be something else to it.

Watched the "highlights" on C4. Why don't they turn this "race" into a TT? That way you'd still have the track but not the "race".

Back