Formula 1 Grand Prix du Canada 2016

• Thread starter shoemaker
  • 313 comments
I'm amazed at the turn of fortunes between the Merc drivers. Nico has gone from being the class of the field to having car issues every weekend(and also his car getting destroyed in Spain). It just shows that you can drive your ears off but if luck isn't on your side you'll be forgotten in history...

That's my fault. I traded Vettel for Rosberg in my @Famine Fantasy F1 team. Started with Spain if I recall....

Solid drive from Lewis.

Can't help thinking his battle with Vettel looked a bit closer than it really was and Lewis always had it under control.

If it was the other way around it would still be a dirty move.

Except nobody said it at the time. I just looked at the 2014 thread, there is one person suggesting Rosberg may have been borderline too aggressive but not one of the crowd today suggesting so. Why not?

Find me an example of somebody doing it to Hamilton for every time Hamilton has done it to someone else, and then we can talk.

It doesn't work like that. A move is a move, if you had no problem with Rosberg doing it in 2014 then you can't have a problem with it this year when roles reversed. It's irrelevant what has happened elsewhere.

Yeah, no issue at all. That's why Ricc not even looked at Lewis during the entire podium celebration/interview.

How odd... Ricciardo didn't mention the incident once during the post-race interviews and directed his anger (rightly) at the team. Perhaps you missed that important context?

In other news, Hamilton dedicates the win to Mohamed Ali.

Sorry, well I'm not really sorry but, that's why Rosberg will never be a Champion. Bold statement for sure but, c'mon.... This guy...

Except nobody said it at the time. I just looked at the 2014 thread, there is one person suggesting Rosberg may have been borderline too aggressive but not one of the crowd today suggesting so.

Well this is the third straight race where Lewis had been involved im an incident so that might be because of that.

It doesn't work like that. A move is a move, if you had no problem with Rosberg doing it in 2014 then you can't have a problem with it this year when roles reversed. It's irrelevant what has happened elsewhere.

That isn't how it works though... there's no quid-pro-quo aggregate system.
Except that the move, in and of itself, is not the problem. The problem is that Hamilton always does this. Two weeks ago we were debating the block he made on Ricciardo coming out of the chicane in Monaco; two weeks before that, it was his failed pass on Rosberg. How many overly-aggressive passes or defensive moves does he have to make before it becomes a problem? If you look at all of the recent incidents where drivers have been forced off the track, Hamilton has played a role in the overwhelming majority of them.

Well this is the third straight race where Lewis had been involved im an incident so that might be because of that.

So? Are you suggesting people should be judged on supposed reputation rather than individual incidents? As I just said, if you didn't take issue to Rosberg doing it in 2014 you can't take issue with Hamilton doing it in 2016.

I can't really call this a great race, but then again I had to put up with Sky's coverage. Vettel made too many mistakes to threaten Hamilton IMHO.

Except that the move, in and of itself, is not the problem. The problem is that Hamilton always does this. Two weeks ago we were debating the block he made on Ricciardo coming out of the chicane in Monaco; two weeks before that, it was his failed pass on Rosberg. How many overly-aggressive passes or defensive moves does he have to make before it becomes a problem? If you look at all of the recent incidents where drivers have been forced off the track, Hamilton has played a role in the overwhelming majority of them.

Yawn. Same old same old.

DK
I can't really call this a great race, but then again I had to put up with Sky's coverage. Vettel made too many mistakes to threaten Hamilton IMHO.
I'd agree not a great race but not a bad one as there have been plenty of worse races

So? Are you suggesting people should be judged on supposed reputation rather than individual incidents? As I just said, if you didn't take issue to Rosberg doing it in 2014 you can't take issue with Hamilton doing it in 2016.

Which like I said, both are dirty.

Lewis said the car understeered btw. So there was a fault there anyway (accidental or not)

Yeah, no issue at all. That's why Ricc not even looked at Lewis during the entire podium celebration/interview. Of course they have to move on as they always do.

Ricc didn't look at anyone, hell Ricc didn't even want to be on the podium.

I don't have the same opinion about the "explanation". First, I don't think Lewis didn't leave a 1car width. I am of the opinion that he cut the chicane, blocking Ricc a first time and then, on the way out, he went out of the normal racing line (you can see it clearly because he's not completely inside the dry part of the circuit) to make a second move while Ricc had already his front axis besides Lewis's rear axis. I read the stewards report. It happens I don't agree with their decision (which is rare btw).

Tense situation at a very tight chicane, I mean I just watched a 4 time WDC make the same mistake 3 or 4 times now at the same corner while chasing the leader thus destroying his chances at a win. These things happen, but you've taken it as a sinister act. Go watch the videos and look at the pictures, if he had made a second move RBR would have made a complaint and Lewis would have been penalized so you're point doesn't hold water.

He had the position? What position? lol They were side by side and Lewis just pushed Rosberg out of the track. For him to "have the position" he would have to be in front of Rosberg. Lewis should have done what every other driver did in that corner. Leave a car width and fight for the position IN the track, after the right-hander.

But yeah, I'm not surprised seeing this from you either.

He had position before the turn and as the switched over Rosberg was driving into a wedge to pass Lewis, same way Lewis did it 2 years prior as video showed by @Samus, which you also ignored. You can't leave a car with going side by side after you were passed up the inside on the entrance to it. You're asinine ideas of this is some perfect world and there is so much track width people are easily accessible to a car width is just baffling. But let's cut this easy cause just like are arguments over the whole Israel Palestine stuff a couple years back, this will go the same way. Many disagree with your views professionally and fan wise and there is enough evidence of similar events from differing drivers to show that this may just be bias.

I'm not going to bother from here on cause it will be quite counter productive since you'll just repeat yourself as you tend to do, thus ignoring any argument I've given.

GTP is very pro-Lewis (which is understandable being an english only platform). I'm more pro-F1. And I'm not replying again. I'll leave the thread free for you all.

This part is more so why, GTP is far from pro Lewis, if anything GTP is quite good at bashing Lewis and other drives at times. At the same time many on GTP are pro F1 and impartial, I've hardly seen you spend that much time outside of news threads and when you are here it's not to be as fair as you claim.

Last edited:
A move is a move, if you had no problem with Rosberg doing it in 2014 then you can't have a problem with it this year when roles reversed. It's irrelevant what has happened elsewhere.
If what happened in another place is irrelevant, then what happened in another time is equally irrelevant.

People had no problem condemning Pastor Maldonado for his frequent incidents; why wasn't he afforded the "what happened elsewhere is irrelevant" defence?

OK so I have a question... Why do people put Lewis Hamilton up on a pedestal of the best in this generation?

I get that it's a matter of opinion but he hasn't done anything of significance until he was given the best car.

The likes of Alonso, Vettel, and Ricciardo are much better than him if you ask me. They don't have off days. They keep racing at their hardest no matter what they're forced to overcome. I just don't see that in Hamilton. He's been gifted so much in his career that it's hard to count him as one of the all-time greats let alone one of the best of this time period.

Just my opinion. I shall embrace myself for the hate to come now.

If what happened in another place is irrelevant, then what happened in another time is equally irrelevant.

People had no problem condemning Pastor Maldonado for his frequent incidents; why wasn't he afforded the "what happened elsewhere is irrelevant" defence?

Of course 2014 is relevant because it's the exact same manoeuvre in the exact same place on the exact same track. It's a direct comparison, whereas whatever Hamilton has done elsewhere is not.

As for Maldonado, he was unanimously found at fault for the vast majority of his incidents. For Hamilton it's just the usual suspects who can't wait to have a pop. Max Verstappen was equally aggressive in his defense against Rosberg but I suppose that is ok because he doesn't have a supposed reputation?

I get that it's a matter of opinion but he hasn't done anything of significance until he was given the best car.

Umm... What about Vettel? Pretty sure he won his titles with the best car by a long shot.

Umm... What about Vettel? Pretty sure he won his titles with the best car by a long shot.
Oh yeah I completely agree with that. If I'm being honest here I think the best drivers here are Alonso and Ricciardo period. Vettel has shown signs of brilliance since moving to Ferrari which has moved him up on my list. He's still 3rd at best though.

Max Verstappen was equally aggressive in his defense against Rosberg but I suppose that is ok because he doesn't have a supposed reputation?
No, Max Verstappen is okay because his defence didn't force Rosberg off the track.

Or do you expect me to believe that Hamilton had no idea that by leaving the championship leader no room, he would be forced wide and lose several positions?

I still don't understand the "his car understeered" so it's not his fault argument. The incident is without a doubt questionable.

OK so I have a question... Why do people put Lewis Hamilton up on a pedestal of the best in this generation?

The likes of Alonso, Vettel, and Ricciardo are much better than him if you ask me. They don't have off days. They keep racing at their hardest no matter what they're forced to overcome. I just don't see that in Hamilton. He's been gifted so much in his career that it's hard to count him as one of the all-time greats let alone one of the best of this time period.

:lol:

How long have you been watching F1 for? In Almost every occasion, the World Champion is in the fastest car.

I really like Alonso, but Lewis matched him at McLaren, as a rookie. He didn't have the best car a lot of the time he drove for McLaren, yet won races and a World Championship.

Vettel always had the fastest car (by a big margin). Ricciardo had done nothing so far.

No, Max Verstappen is okay because his defence didn't force Rosberg off the track.

Because Rosberg backed out of it.

Or do you expect me to believe that Hamilton had no idea that by leaving the championship leader no room, he would be forced wide and lose several positions?

I can ask you the same question of Rosberg in 2014.

He didn't have the best car in 2011-2014 and 2009 was an awful car as well and he did his best in those. He's won a race each year he's driven so that says a lot, I feel you have a massive chip on your shoulder about a driver you'll never meet. He is one of the best because he's shown raw pace/speed, and being quite a driver in varying conditions while also being quite adaptable. The same feature that Vettel and Alonso have. Lewis isn't the best I'd say, but he's in the league with a couple others.

Back