Formula 1 Grand Prix du Canada 2017Formula 1 

Oh my god did McHonda finish a race?!

Only after losing a good chance at points with two laps to go...

2 Ferrari race starts ruined by other cars, great drive to get back to 4th though. It is easier when you have the best car in the grid like Merc have done in previous seasons, think Ham in spa? But great drive and deserves driver of day.

Ferrari had a poor start to begin with, don't blame others for taking advantage out both of them sleeping, that's why Vettel doesn't deserve driver of the day.

I am delighted to see Lance stroll score his first point, particularly at home in Canada, and not at all surprised see McLaren fail to score either. It would have been a miracle to have both occur in the same race I guess.

Pure mutagen in that foot fungus there.

Vettel's will he / won't he pit issue after that collision was hard to call. Pit right after the collision and you're all the way in the back of the pack, and you'll have to drive longer on your tires on your last stint.

Trying to make it as close to the "early" pit window as possible, especially given the long safety, ensured he could make a long second stint, with a third "sprint" stint squeezed in at the end for extra positions.

I'm hesitant to call that a bad call. And the driving required to make that call work was exceptional.

Pure mutagen in that foot fungus there.

Vettel's will he / won't he pit issue after that collision was hard to call. Pit right after the collision and you're all the way in the back of the pack, and you'll have to drive longer on your tires on your last stint.

Trying to make it as close to the "early" pit window as possible, especially given the long safety, ensured he could make a long second stint, with a third "sprint" stint squeezed in at the end for extra positions.

I'm hesitant to call that a bad call. And the driving required to make that call work was exceptional.

To be honest I really think Ferrari had a good strategy call day, by allowing the drivers to stay out longer on certain time of the race. They by extension were able to safely pit an extra time because everyone was so far apart, they weren't under threat of losing position.

Only after losing a good chance at points with two laps to go...

Ferrari had a poor start to begin with, don't blame others for taking advantage out both of them sleeping, that's why Vettel doesn't deserve driver of the day.

I should have said 2 different races, barca and today, my bad

I agree Kimi has no one to blame, but the contact with Seb and Ves did impact the race and it's not like Seb had a bad start either, the argument could be made he was playing it safe into turn one and through no fault of his own loses a bit of wing.

Imo saying he doesn't deserve it is a bit of a stretch, but each to their own :)

I should have said 2 different races, barca and today, my bad

I agree Kimi has no one to blame, but the contact with Seb and Ves did impact the race and it's not like Seb had a bad start either, the argument could be made he was playing it safe into turn one and through no fault of his own loses a bit of wing.

Imo saying he doesn't deserve it is a bit of a stretch, but each to their own :)

I don't disagree with the reality that it did impact the race for Vettel. However, he could have easily avoided that by getting a much better/cleaner start, to where Max couldn't easily drive around him (even if a bit scruffy). Let's not forget the man starting third also got around Vettel too before Verstappen showed up. It was a horrid start for both drivers at Ferrari.

The fact that there are two drivers that executed perfectly is the definition of being a driver of the day, not being flashy coming back up the field after a mistake. If he had bad luck in quali and then made up all those spots great job, but just because a driver gets it right from the get go and carries on to never be challenged for the win, doesn't make him undeserving of a guy cutting his way back to what he lost.

Well then... I'm pissed off with Force India for not letting Ocon through because he should have been on the podium(this coming from a massive Ricciardo fan) and I'm pissed off with Honda for not only being 17mph slower on the straights, but also not being capable of building a car that can travel 300kms. How stupid are their engineers???

You forgot unable to go the race distance on the allotted fuel amount without some insane fuel saving. Granted it doesn't grenade before the race ends. :lol:

Let's see, the engine lacks power, reliability, and fuel economy.

My guess is Mclaren are doing some heavy duty boot licking to get back in the good graces of Mercedes, because it could take eons for Honda to figure this one out at this rate.

Just heard the Ocon interview on NBC and was quite impressed. Had a good mood considering the circumstances but did say Perez cost him the podium. He refused to answer whether Perez is not a team player and didn't like the block Perez threw at him on the straight.

Perez argued that he was waiting for Ricciardo to make a mistake or take advantage of traffic to get by. He said Ocon should've gotten around him.

Well then... I'm pissed off with Force India for not letting Ocon through because he should have been on the podium(this coming from a massive Ricciardo fan) and I'm pissed off with Honda for not only being 17mph slower on the straights, but also not being capable of building a car that can travel 300kms. How stupid are their engineers???

McLaren builds the cars, Honda builds the engines which (poorly) power them.

Vettel was on much, much, much newer tires.

Perez was still being an idiot. If he'd let Ocon through and Ocon had taken down Ricciardo, they could have double-teamed Ricciardo and used him as a buffer to defend against Vettel.

As it is, they got held up several laps longer than necessary, which lost them a possible podium plus an extra place and points, to boot.
But in that case? Isn't it the teams fault? They should have seen this (opportunity) and tell Perez to move over.

I mean, you can say Perez should have seen it, too, but on the other hand he just fought for his position against his team mate and maybe didn't see this. I wouldn't call him an idiot for that, rather his crew chief or whatever was the idiot. :P

But in that case? Isn't it the teams fault? They should have seen this (opportunity) and tell Perez to move over.
Force India asked this several times to Perez. They even negotiated with him to the radio: if he let his team mate pass and that then Ocon fail to overtake Ricciardo, then Ocon would have to give him the position back. Perez answered he would take blue flagged cars as an opportunity to overtake Ricciardo.

I don't disagree with the reality that it did impact the race for Vettel. However, he could have easily avoided that by getting a much better/cleaner start, to where Max couldn't easily drive around him (even if a bit scruffy). Let's not forget the man starting third also got around Vettel too before Verstappen showed up. It was a horrid start for both drivers at Ferrari.

The fact that there are two drivers that executed perfectly is the definition of being a driver of the day, not being flashy coming back up the field after a mistake. If he had bad luck in quali and then made up all those spots great job, but just because a driver gets it right from the get go and carries on to never be challenged for the win, doesn't make him undeserving of a guy cutting his way back to what he lost.

It was I agree, usually Ferrari don't get too bad of a start but today they were both poor, or at least poorer that those around them.

If that is the awards official description for who gets it then I see your point, and yes both didn't put a foot wrong so would be very deserving of the award too.
It doesn't make him undeserving I agree, although I think differently on the matter, thats what makes being able to discuss the races so good.

You could also make a case I feel for Ocon and Stroll, they both did good jobs today, especially Stroll with the amount of pressure he was under, watching the on-boards of him fighting with others, you could tell he wasn't rushing to try and get past but waiting for the right moment.

It was I agree, usually Ferrari don't get too bad of a start but today they were both poor, or at least poorer that those around them.

If that is the awards official description for who gets it then I see your point, and yes both didn't put a foot wrong so would be very deserving of the award too.
It doesn't make him undeserving I agree, although I think differently on the matter, thats what makes being able to discuss the races so good.

You could also make a case I feel for Ocon and Stroll, they both did good jobs today, especially Stroll with the amount of pressure he was under, watching the on-boards of him fighting with others, you could tell he wasn't rushing to try and get past but waiting for the right moment.

Sorry then I misunderstood your take on the starts, too me it seemed like Vettel wasn't that bad but Kimi was. Now I understand your perspective better, thank you. 👍

I would make the case for them too or Ric, you have a point there. If Lewis didn't seal that hat trick I probably wouldn't have quickly declared him my driver of the day.

Force India asked this several times to Perez. They even negotiated with him to the radio: if he let his team mate pass and that then Ocon fail to overtake Ricciardo, then Ocon would have to give him the position back. Perez answered he would take blue flagged cars as an opportunity to overtake Ricciardo.

It's not a matter of asking Perez to move over. It is a matter of ordering Perez to move over. It was clear Ocon was faster by a good margin, a good enough margin that would have seen him challenge Ricciardo for the podium. I really hope Sergio gets a good kick up his rear during debriefing. I have the impression he was more focused on keeping his rookie teammate behind him instead of granting the team a podium finish.

Either way, I am extremely impressed with Ocon so far this season.

It's not a matter of asking Perez to move over. It is a matter of ordering Perez to move over.

It may also (as noted by Brundle on the Sky coverage) be a matter of contracts. If the team can't order Perez to move over then they can only suggest it to him. That's a sad fact of team orders, they can go both ways in some circumstances. That's not to defend Perez, I think he was wrong.

Either way, I am extremely impressed with Ocon so far this season.

He's doing very well for sure.

I've just finished watching the race and I am in full rage mode at Perez and his absolute selfishness. Ruined the team's chance of a podium. I've lost a lot of respect for him today, I understand fighting for position, pride and contracts, but you should never blow away points for your team.
:mad:
Other than that, it was a great GP to watch.

Bittersweet result for me as a Ricciardo fan as on one hand, it's three 3's in a row which matches up with his driver number of 3, being the third number. But once again reliability on the other side of the team meant that he never got a chance to attempt to race Verstappen who was ahead at the time so there's still going to be those murmurs of him being surpassed by the Dutch wonderkid...

I've just finished watching the race and I am in full rage mode at Perez and his absolute selfishness. Ruined the team's chance of a podium. I've lost a lot of respect for him today, I understand fighting for position, pride and contracts, but you should never blow away points for your team.
:mad:
Other than that, it was a great GP to watch.

^So much this. I mean, it'd be one thing if he was actually contending to win the WDC and he wanted to score as many points as possible to protect your position. Obviously since he's neither in a Mercedes or a Ferrari, he is not a contender thus making this whole thing a meaningless exercise of futility. I too have have lost quite a bit of respect for him after this.:grumpy:

I was more pissed when I watched his post-race interview. They were smart and worded by asking him if he was proud of how he raced today. He hesitated and sorta lost his smile for a second but still said yes and continued talking so much with so many words that it just sounded like trying to justify himself.

It may also (as noted by Brundle on the Sky coverage) be a matter of contracts. If the team can't order Perez to move over then they can only suggest it to him. That's a sad fact of team orders, they can go both ways in some circumstances. That's not to defend Perez, I think he was wrong.
It would make sense since the messages from Force India sounded more like a selling job to Perez than an actual command.
I was more pissed when I watched his post-race interview. They were smart and worded by asking him if he was proud of how he raced today. He hesitated and sorta lost his smile for a second but still said yes and continued talking so much with so many words that it just sounded like trying to justify himself.
Pretty much the same impression I got.

http://motorsports.nbcsports.com/20...ver-force-indias-lost-podium-in-canada-video/

The question that brought up Perez's comments at Monaco and tied it to his actions during the race was just brutal. Can anyone buy Perez's answer? :lol:
Alright, let's get this out of the way early:

BAKU WELCOMED US ALL
Well, something has to balance out another exciting Canadian Grand Prix. Must we go there?

Well, something has to balance out another exciting Canadian Grand Prix. Must we go there?
Can't we give Baku one more chance to see if that 2016 race was just a one-off dud? I hear the support races last year were pretty good.

Ah, alright I completely missed that :lol:

Latest Posts

Back