Formula 1 Grosser Preis von Osterreich 2017Formula 1 

• Thread starter Jimlaad43
  • 255 comments

Jimlaad43

GeoGuessr God
Premium
United Kingdom
United Kingdom
Formula 1 fans are still recovering from the bonkers Baku weekend, but we're back for another race. Austria returned to the calendar in 2014, and it's almost been like it never left, as the Red Bull Ring has shown itself to be a fantastic mix of old-school and modern. This race will have many more twists and turns than the 9 on the track. Will Sebastian Vettel keep his cool after his ludicrous safety car antics? Will the Force India's keep away from each other? Will Raikkonen or Bottas manage to get ahead and stay ahead of their team mates? Are Red Bull closer to Mercedes and Ferrari? How many times during the weekend will a McLaren stop at the side of the track with engine problems? All will be solved at the Austrian Grand Prix.
1496396674157.png

Red Bull Ring

First Race

1970 (1997) (2014)

Laps

Track Length
4.318 km (2.683 mi)

Race Length
306.452 km

Lap Record
1:08.337, Michael Schumacher, Ferrari (2003)

Tyre Allocation
Ultra-Soft, Super-Soft, Soft

2016 Result
1: Lewis Hamilton (Mercedes)
2: Max Verstappen (Red Bull)
3: Kimi Raikkonen (Ferrari)​

Mclaren will use Spec3 (which Alonso used in FP in Baku) with optimized mappings, bringing 12+ HP

Renault wants to equip all Renault powered cars with the third engine, which is more reliable and can therefore use higher power settings more often.

(Both according to auto-motor-sport)

And I guess Mercedes will win, Mclaren will blow up

That seems an odd choice to me, but with them scoring their first points of the season there it was (in hindsight) the right choice.
I'm guessing that they didn't want to waste an upgrade on a circuit that puts high demand on an engine when they already had penalties. Better to wait for something less-demanding like the Red Bull Ring and try to capitalise on the upgrade.

I'm guessing that they didn't want to waste an upgrade on a circuit that puts high demand on an engine when they already had penalties. Better to wait for something less-demanding like the Red Bull Ring and try to capitalise on the upgrade.
Yeah, they had no foreknowledge that Baku would end up being such a looney bin, so bringing in a new engine just to start from the back and probably still finish outside the points table would have just been wasteful.

And as for this:
Will Sebastian Vettel keep his cool after his ludicrous safety car antics?
Vettel currently has 9 penalty points on his license, and 12 will land him a one-race ban. Considering that could very likely throw away any chance of a Ferrari championship this year, I imagine he's been "advised" to keep his cool this week.

Yeah, they had no foreknowledge that Baku would end up being such a looney bin, so bringing in a new engine just to start from the back and probably still finish outside the points table would have just been wasteful.

Maybe, the speed trap gain with the new engine was 8mph... and then the gearbox got lunched. That was only the ICE though, Honda hadn't brought the new ERS system that we should see in Ostrich.

They were always going to put Hamilton and Vettel together in the press conference. But what's so special about Magnussen's presence?

They were always going to put Hamilton and Vettel together in the press conference. But what's so special about Magnussen's presence?
Maybe he could add some contrast to any strife that arises in the conference?

Presser should be a good watch. You all have 2 hours to get some popcorn from the shop. I have absolutely no idea what to expect in the race...which is good after the last 2 years of Mercedes domination.

We should see a ridiculously short laptime for pole position if it stays dry. I'm going for something in the 1:04's

Do penalty points expire during the season, or...?

Because I can see Vettel keep his cool for this race. And maybe the next one.

But at some point he'll go "Honestly 🤬 off" again, I just know it lol.

And honestly I Iike this about him.

F1 has become too boring and too "nice" anyway imo.

Do penalty points expire during the season, or...?

Because I can see Vettel keep his cool for this race. And maybe the next one.

But at some point he'll go "Honestly 🤬 off" again, I just know it lol.

And honestly I Iike this about him.

F1 has become too boring and too "nice" anyway imo.
They have a 12-month cool down period. After Austria (assuming he does nothing wrong), Seb will be down to 7 points

Alonso clarifies the new engine situation, he's going to run the Friday Baku engine for the whole weekend (or that spec at least). It's not much of an improvement, he says, if it had been then they'd have used it for the whole of the Baku weekend.

Alonso clarifies the new engine situation, he's going to run the Friday Baku engine for the whole weekend (or that spec at least). It's not much of an improvement, he says, if it had been then they'd have used it for the whole of the Baku weekend.

In Baku, the mappings were not final, therefor only gaining around 12 more HP. With the new mappings, it rumors around 30 more HP, says AutoMotorSport

FIA changed the plan for the press conference at 4pm. Now Eric Boullier and Yusuke Hasegawa instead of Arrivabene and Isola. Rumors (well, by motorsport-total, so don't take it too serious) are they announce official end of Mclaren-Honda

I already set a WR time at the RedBullRing just before FP2 started. 1:04* !!!

RBR GP - Abarth 595SS.jpg

Well 1:04 sector 2.....and 2:41 for a full lap

FIA changed the plan for the press conference at 4pm. Now Eric Boullier and Yusuke Hasegawa instead of Arrivabene and Isola. Rumors (well, by motorsport-total, so don't take it too serious) are they announce official end of Mclaren-Honda
That would be a shame now that they finally can win races. ;)

Guess we'll find out soon. I hope not...

Latest Posts

Back