Formula 1 Gulf Air Bahrain Grand Prix 2023Formula 1 

• Thread starter Jimlaad43
  • 236 comments

Jimlaad43

GeoGuessr God
Premium
United Kingdom
United Kingdom
Formula 1 2023 begins this weekend! The Bahrain International Circuit has taken over as the season opener since 2021, and has proven to be a good choice, as the quality and quantity of wheel-to-wheel racing around here is spectacular. Pre-Season testing has thrown up many questions which round 1 should answer. How far ahead are Red Bull? Is the Aston Martin a secret rocket ship? Are McLaren backmarkers? Which of the rookies will shine first? What actually happened to Lance Stroll's wrists? These are questions we will find an answer to, whether it's the correct one for the rest of the season, who know. But get ready for the BAHRAIN GRAND PRIX!
image (21).png

First Grand Prix

Number of Laps

Circuit Length
5.412km

Race Distance
308.238 km

Lap Record
1:31.447
Pedro de la Rosa (2005)​

The competitive order according to Mark Hughes. I'm interested to see how accurate this is.

1st – Red Bull

2nd= Ferrari/Aston Martin (+0.2s to Red Bull)

4th= Mercedes/Alpine (+0.6s to Red Bull)

6th= Haas/Alfa/McLaren (+1.05s to Red Bull)

9th – Williams (+ 1.25s to Red Bull)

10th – AlphaTauri (+ 1.45s to Red Bull)

edit: Also a look at all the driver's engineers.

Last edited:
The competitive order according to Mark Hughes. I'm interested to see how accurate this is.

1st – Red Bull

2nd= Ferrari/Aston Martin (+0.2s to Red Bull)

4th= Mercedes/Alpine (+0.6s to Red Bull)

6th= Haas/Alfa/McLaren (+1.05s to Red Bull)

9th – Williams (+ 1.25s to Red Bull)

10th – AlphaTauri (+ 1.45s to Red Bull)

Can't be right - would mean that Nando made a smart career decision.

Last edited:
Nice to see Hinch is on full time now. Alex jacques is alright too.

Last edited:
Will be interesting to see what happens with Aston Martin, long runs in testing certainly suggested they were competitive with the usual front runners. Hopefully Fernando gives a good benchmark, also keen to see how close Drugovich can get if he does race this weekend.

Ferrari have a tyre muncher on their hands, I'm expecting a quick quali pace and less than stellar race pace, with perhaps the opposite for Mercedes. I expect Red Bull to be top dog this weekend though.

I'm predicting Williams to be stronger than expected and McLaren to fall to the bottom 2 alongside AlphaTauri.

Quali prediction:
1. VER
2. LEC
3. HAM

Race prediction:
1. VER
2. PER
3. ALO

FL. RUS

Outlandish prediction: Hulkenberg P5.

There are F1 season previews all over the mainstream American media. It’s like some sort of opposite world.

With 3 races in the US now, they have to make sure it is being promoted accordingly so they can get their every penny worth.

I don't believe Aston Martin will be as strong as suggested.

I expect Red Bull to comfortably walk this weekend, with Ferrari and Mercedes battling for the podium. I see Aston Martin fighting Alpine and HAAS for the remainder of the points, rather than upsetting the front runners. AMR is pretty much putting all its eggs in Alonso's basket, and I find it hard to believe a team that scored as many points as Alfa Romeo will suddenly upset the top 3 in one winter's time.

I would love Aston Martin to prove me wrong, though.

Mclaren, Williams and AlphaTauri are just meh.

Last edited:

I don't believe Aston Martin will be as strong as suggested.

I expect Red Bull to comfortably walk this weekend, with Ferrari and Mercedes battling for the podium. I see Aston Martin fighting Alpine and HAAS for the remainder of the points, rather than upsetting the front runners. AMR is pretty much putting all its eggs in Alonso's basket, and I find it hard to believe a team that scored as many points as Alfa Romeo will suddenly upset the top 3 in one winter's time.

I would love Aston Martin to prove me wrong, though.

Mclaren, Williams and AlphaTauri are just meh.
It's difficult to tell, if the long run/race simulation pace in the test is representative then AM have the 3rd fastest race car. I also think expecting Alpine to be knocking for points is ambitious given their pace was pretty poor.

We shall see.

Haas/Magnussen was good for 2.5 first races in '22. Something like this could be possible for Aston. Having good weekends and when the season moves on they will be back to the midfield. Same for McLaren the other way round possible.

Lewis Hamilton "and I took that personally."

All cars through scrutineering except car #44.
View attachment 1236086

Apparently Lewis has an exemption for his nose stud that the FIA gave him after he submitted a doctors report so this matter should be closed now.

In other news, what is the deal with all the rear wing swaying on the Ferrari? That thing was going back and forth like a pendulum surely that's an issue! 🤔

Gasly was fastest in FP1 last year. Don't read into anything until qualifying.

Into the evening session - more representative of qualifying conditions

1. Alonso, Aston Martin - 1m30.907s
2. Verstappen, Red Bull - 1m31.076s
3. Perez, Red Bull - 1m31.078s
4. Leclerc, Ferrari - 1m31.367s
5. Hulkenberg, Haas - 1m31.376s
6. Stroll, Aston Martin - 1m31.450s
7. Gasly, Alpine - 1m31.475s
8. Hamilton, Mercedes - 1m32.543s
9. Norris, McLaren - 1m31.570s
10. Zhou, Alfa Romeo - 1m31.586s
It would be a bit annoying if Aston produce a competitive car right after Seb has retired.

Last edited:
Into the evening session - more representative of qualifying conditions

It would be a bit annoying if Aston produce a competitive car right after Seb has retired.
What better legacy for him to leave.

Still too early really to say anything, FP2 last season was topped by Max, Sainz and Leclerc though which was more representative than FP1. That being said, it does seem as though Aston Martin and Alonso have some genuine pace in that car, perhaps not pole/win pace, but pace no less.

The sky team seems to think that Red bull, Mercedes and Ferrari are all sandbagging during this session and they are not showing their true pace.

Strolls engineer asking him to adjust his line in turn 1 to maximise turn 2, Stroll comes back saying he can't because of his hands. Clearly struggling with the right hand turns.

Back