Formula 1 Gulf Air Bahrain Grand Prix 2023Formula 1 

• Thread starter Jimlaad43
  • 236 comments
This was actually a good race to watch. I haven't followed F1 after the first hybrid season.
Good reintroduction to the series with good passes and no carnage. Real nice to see Alonso battling.

I'd say McLaren did Ricciardo a favour.

Seems like so far the only real storyline for this season is whether Aston can stay caught up on development and avoid getting burned by mistakes over the course of the season. Other than that it looks like normal service; one of the Big Three teams flying away while the other two comically trip over themselves trying to keep up, and one or two of the remainder possibly being in position to captialize on a blunder and grab a surprise podium here and there.

I would like to be wrong about this and have this season be more exciting than that, but my expectations are tempered to say the least.
There is one encouraging thing - Aston/Racing Point/Force India have traditionally been the absolute kings of in-season development and becoming stronger as the season goes on. Fingers crossed.

Ferrari so far in 2023:

failrari.png

Absolute snooze-fest of a race. As everyone else has said - only thing of vague interest is to see if Aston can keep up with the front runners for the entire season.

Isn't the accusation '23 AM with '22 RB?
Haven't seen anything specific regarding what they have an issue with. He said there were 3 Red Bull cars on the podium so guess it's the '23 car. They're clearly different, they just have an easy thing to point at in the ex-Red Bull aerodynamicists, but the FIA found absolutely zero IP infringement or wrongdoing last season and I'm sure it'll be the same again. Just Marko blowing hot air as usual.

If they got away with the Pink Merc, I see no issue here.
They didn't get away with that, they were docked points and fined. Rules were then changed from 2021 to prevent a repeat of that scenario.

In a season that almost looks like Red Bull might win all 23 races, what exactly does Marko have to question? If their display this past Sunday ends up being consistent throughout the whole season (I'm seriously praying for that to not be the case), it doesn't really matter what the other teams bring, does it? Especially when you can still finish over 30 secs ahead of them on pure pace. If you are going to win regardless so what does it matter if they copy or imitate some concept from your car?

they just have an easy thing to point at in the ex-Red Bull aerodynamicists
Odd that Marko is questioning how much information is in their heads and how much documentation they have access to...

... but there's no question about the contents of RBPT's current technical director's head and documentation access from when he was head of design at Mercedes HPP in 2021...

And by "odd" I mean "entirely standard bloviating horse apples".

Last edited:
Odd that Marko is questioning how much information is in their heads and how much documentation they have access to...

... but there's no question about the contents of RBPT's current technical director's head and documentation access from when he was head of design at Mercedes HPP in 2021...

And by "odd" I mean "entirely standard bloviating horse apples".
Red Bull are angels though and can do no wrong. They haven't gained anything from his head because, how could they? They're Red Bull.

Last edited:
Let's be fair, Aston Martin has copied Red Bull a little bit:

Four tyres
A steering wheel
A halo
Two wings for downforce
An engine WITH a turbo
Sponsorship
HANS-compliant cockpit fittings

It's ridiculous. I think Haas and Williams might have done the same, possibly even Alfa Romeo too.

Four tyres
A steering wheel
A halo
Two wings for downforce
An engine WITH a turbo
Sponsorship

It's ridiculous. I think Haas and Williams might have done the same, possibly even Alfa Romeo too.
McLaren got the copying wrong and somehow ended up with someone else's engine.

Four tyres
A steering wheel
A halo
Two wings for downforce
An engine WITH a turbo
Sponsorship

Rumours suggest the Aston also has 3 air-intakes, just like the Red Bull. There's also 2 of them.

Marko is just salty that some former Red Bull employees designed that car. Meanwhile they use a lot of parts from Mercedes and their wind tunnel to boot. That’s kind of amusing to me given the rivalry between RBR and Merc.

I know Albon isn't one of the fastest drivers, but looking at the lap times over equal stints, Logan Sargeant was right there with him if sometimes faster. I wasn't sure if Logan deserved the race seat but after one race it sure does look like he did. So far a huge upgrade over Latifi
Absolute snooze-fest of a race. As everyone else has said - only thing of vague interest is to see if Aston can keep up with the front runners for the entire season.
The issue with such a long season now is, if one team/driver runs away with it then its going to become a slog

The comments from Marko, Horner & I think even Perez may have joined in on Red Bull have a "3rd car" are cute now, but if Alonso actually starts hanging around & winning, bet your bottom dollar this poking fun becomes Karen Horner real quick.

The comments from Marko, Horner & I think even Perez may have joined in on Red Bull have a "3rd car" are cute now, but if Alonso actually starts hanging around & winning, bet your bottom dollar this poking fun becomes Karen Horner real quick.
Which is fine if they can stump up some evidence or proof, which they probably can't, other than 'he has a brain and some memory'.

Which is fine if they can stump up some evidence or proof, which they probably can't, other than 'he has a brain and some memory'.
If they had evidence, I assume it would’ve come up last year when this first round of, “They copied RB” came up but tmu, the FIA found no wrong doing.

And yet here we are again, RB making light hearted comments again insinuating Aston copied them which becomes really weird to even mention bc they still cleared the field by a gigantic margin.

but if Alonso actually starts hanging around & winning
Highly unlikely (and I'm a huge Alonso mark) but any mix up in the upper third of the grid is a welcome change. Would be great to see the Aston on or challenging for the podium regularly but we'll see if they can keep this pace going forward.

Helmut Marko gonna Helmut Marko. He just can't help himself can he?

Last edited:
Back