• Thread starter Jimlaad43
  • 562 comments

Jimlaad43

GeoGuessr God
Premium
United Kingdom
United Kingdom
1631315770107.png

The second triple-header of 2021 is nearly over and we finish at a circuit which just seems to suit the post-2017 cars after 3 years of fantastic races. Verstappen has won two Grand Prix (I deliberately avoided saying "races"), and is taking charge of the title battle between him and Lewis Hamilton. The two of them are pushing each other to the limit in races, and it's been enthralling to watch. Will Monza serve up another classic, or will team Faenza serve up another Italian constructor victory at the circuit? Also don't forget that it is the second time we will see Sprint Qualifying. Hold on to your hats for a Friday qualifying and a Saturday sprint race! We'll only find out at the ITALIAN GRAND PRIX!
1631019901591.png

First Grand Prix

Number of Laps

Circuit Length
5.793km

Race Distance
306.72 km

Lap Record
1:21.046 Rubens Barrichello (2004)​

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm worried this isn't going to be any more exciting than Zandvoort & the DRS zones result in the passing opportunities since everyone will be running setups to maximize speed over downforce.

I'm worried this isn't going to be any more exciting than Zandvoort & the DRS zones result in the passing opportunities since everyone will be running setups to maximize speed over downforce.
I used to agree that Monza sucked for F1, but the 2018, 19 and 20 races were extraordinary battles of close racing for the lead that shut that opinion up. Monza absolutely works for this current set of regulations.

How far away is the lap record from being broken?
In 2020 Lewis did a 1:18.887, which was over 2 tenths faster than the qualifying record set in 2018.

Fastest Race lap post-Barrichello was a 1:21.779 in 2019.

I just remembered, we have the second ever Sprint Qualifying this weekend. Will it cause a shock or be a waste of time?

No reason to think it's going to be any different to Silverstone really. A procession other than anyone wildly out of position, either on the grid or at the start like Alonso.

Alfa Romeo will have a special livery for this weekend, which I personally think doesn't look that good.

I want Lewis to win this weekend. His next win will be win #100, and Monza is a super historic track and would be a fitting place for such an impressive milestone. It's the circuit he became the all-time record Pole Sitter at in 2017, so would be an awesome spot to get the 100th win.

Also the next races are Sochi (please no), Turkey (still might not even happen) and Austin. He's got a great affinity with Austin, so that would be an OK place to do it, but unless Monza, Sochi and Turkey are won by not-Verstappen, saving win 100 for Austin would kind of kill the championship fight that's so close and enthralling now.

It seems Max' car will not get the expected new engine this weekend. So RedBull decided not to take the grid penalty in Italy?
I wouldn't be surprised if they change this last minute.

Aaah right. This is a weekend with the Sprint Race again. I was fully prepared for the 11AM and 3PM (CET) time slots. Now I have to reschedule some other appointments :boggled:.

Only 9 minutes in and Mazepin had difficulty letting a faster car by in practice between turns 6 and 7.

The RedBull reminds me of horrible rubberbanding AI in racing games. No matter how much Lewis pushes his Mercedes, the RedBull will randomly come back.

...the heaviest Grand Prix cars of all time.
Yeah, today's Grand Prix cars have a minimum weight of 752 kg, which contrasts interestingly with the famous 750kg maximum weight/unlimited displacement formula of the 1930's. But if I recall correctly, those cars of that 750 kg formula were allowed to be weighed without their wheels and tires.

Last edited:
Qualifying has started. When will we get the inevitable queue into Variante Alboreto and will it end in a sickening crash as it's somehow avoided so far in the last couple of years.

Why are they driving so slow so early into the circuit? I thought this school-zone pace only started around the last turn.

Qualifying has started. When will we get the inevitable queue into Variante Alboreto and will it end in a sickening crash as it's somehow avoided so far in the last couple of years.
Vettel on the radio talking a lot about Kings, for some reason...

Why are they driving so slow so early into the circuit? I thought this school-zone pace only started around the last turn.
They all just don't want to overtake each other, at all costs. They want the tow so badly.

Ok so Bottas has to start from the back of the grid on Sunday --> new power unit

==

Yeah that was a pretty fast rabbit

==

Wheel banging in the pitlane...

Last edited:
Back