Formula 1 Heineken Grande Prémio De Portugal 2021Formula 1 

• Thread starter Jimlaad43
  • 136 comments

Jimlaad43

GeoGuessr God
Premium
United Kingdom
United Kingdom
The not-the-latest-anymore COVID replacement Grand Prix is the return of Portimao for its second Portuguese Grand Prix. The undulating circuit proved to be spectacular for racing last season, with battles often lasting half a lap! The concerns about Turn 1 not being a super-slow corner and therefore stopping passing were completely dispelled, even if drivers (well, Stroll) had a few clumsy collisions there. The front straight DRS zone has been shortened and one has been added on the run into T5, which should absolutely highlight the passing moves in the right places. The track is awesome, the racing was epic and it's time for another bite of the PORTUGUESE GRAND PRIX

image.png

First Grand Prix

Number of Laps

Circuit Length
4.653km

Race Distance
306.826 km

Lap Record
1:18.750 Lewis Hamilton (2020)

Again really looking forward to this Grand Prix. Aaaaah unfortunately I cannot watch the quali and race life....duty calls (work in the weekend). Watch them both in the evening and avoid all (social) media during the day.

Enjoy the race!

My main hope for the GP is that Alonso and Vettel improve their pace. Was hoping we'd be seeing some battles higher up the grid from those two considering the strong performances from Renault and Racing Point last season. Hope we see an Aston Martin podium as well this season; whilst it's just a rebranded RP it's nice to see the brand in F1. I still live in hope for a Williams in P10 or higher, Russell was on course for that at Imola before the accident so a points finish for them may no longer be a pipe dream.

Last edited:
My main hope for the GP is that Alonso and Vettel improve their pace. Was hoping we'd be seeing some battles higher up the grid from those two considering the strong performances from Renault and Racing Point last season. Hope we see an Aston Martin podium as well this season; whilst it's just a rebranded RP it's nice to see the brand in F1. I still live in hope for a Williams in P10 or higher, Russell was on course for that at Imola before the accident so a points finish for them may no longer be a pipe dream.

If Vettel could qualify in a place he deserves, and then start the race in said place, that would be great.

So after FP1 and FP2 seems I get one wish from my previous post which was for Alonso to find some pace; Alpine have worked some magic it seems. It's depressing to see Vettel struggling again. He's my favourite driver on the grid and watching his decline has been depressing. Lots of talk about Bottas being under threat but if Vettel doesn't improve then replacing him with Russell if Mercedes don't want to change lineup may seem like a good option for Aston Martin.

Was also excited (unsurprising given my username!) to hear further rumours about a potential Porsche presence in F1 with Red Bull. Given their presence in Formula E and return to Le Mans in 2023, I could see them being keen to be in F1 as well.

Last edited:
I'd love to know the thought process behind morphing the track limits. Who's pushing for the changes? I'm not saying they don't have good reasons that we don't know but from the outside it looks like a cluster****.

The track limits are the white lines that define the track. Part of the tyres must be within these limits at all times.

Thank you for attending this extraordinary meeting of the FIA, World Motorsports Council, Grand Prix Drivers Association and Liberty Media.

I'd love to know the thought process behind morphing the track limits. Who's pushing for the changes? I'm not saying they don't have good reasons that we don't know but from the outside it looks like a cluster****.

I said it in the last race topic but I'm now convinced they're just winging it and changing it on purpose each weekend because it gets people talking and gives them some (to them) exciting angle on lap times and events in the race. They being Liberty Media.

I also think Michael Masi is completely out of his depth as race director, but it's certainly not all on his shoulders.

I said it in the last race topic but I'm now convinced they're just winging it and changing it on purpose each weekend because it gets people talking and gives them some (to them) exciting angle on lap times and events in the race. They being Liberty Media.

I also think Michael Masi is completely out of his depth as race director, but it's certainly not all on his shoulders.

Yeah, things have declined since Charlie Whiting's departure. Also starting to wonder how much of it is to stir up a little drama.

So an Alpine out qualified both McLarens. That’s great for the upper-mid-field if they’ve found new pace.

After three rounds here's everyone's average gap to pole/fastest quali time:

Verstappen: 0.385
Hamilton: 0.388
Bottas: 0.410
Norris: 0.599
Leclerc: 0.604
Gasly: 0.758
Perez: 0.858
Sainz: 0.950
Ricciardo: 1.072
Alonso: 1.307
Ocon: 1.350
Stroll: 1.425
Russell: 1.437
Tsunoda: 1.553
Giovinazzi: 1.557
Vettel: 1.681
Raikkonen: 1.861
Latifi: 2.146
Schumacher: 2.601
Mazepin: 3.202

Great to see Seb make it through to Q3! :)

Shame about Alonso - had high hopes, pleased for Ocon though. Bottas on fire as well. Proving to be a very interesting season thus far, can't wait until tomorrow!

Latest Posts

Back