Formula 1 Heineken Grande Prêmio De São Paulo 2021Formula 1 

• Thread starter Jimlaad43
  • 499 comments
Just another thought, but has anyone noticed how far out Max went on turn 1? I know Bottas wasn't in a great spot there to begin with, and I'm still looking for a good shot of it, but it looks like Max ran all the way to the outside of the track. Despite having Bottas on his outside. Just seems like the first half of lap 1 in the GPs seem to really be 'free for all' with no penalties as there have been lots of these type moves by lots of drivers this season.
Verstappen very much ran Bottas wide off of turn 1 and pretty much forced him off the track on the small straight heading into turn 2. When the FIA first said that they were going to give greater leniency to Lap 1 incidents, it was only a matter of time before someone started to abuse it.

Last edited:
This weekend will be remembered for a long time when talking about the best moments in Lewis’s career (and possibly 8th Championship title).

Part of me is still a bit sad that the race didn’t happen a little bit later in the calendar as it used to be. I’ll be in São Paulo soon and I’d have loved to be there and watch the race live.

Lewis is undoubtably a legend on track.

"Yes but RedBull, yes but Mercedes". So here some social media fun (at least I had to laugh in both situations) and from both rivals.
I try to keep it as neutral as possible ;).

==

1636958170590.png

1636958196186.png

Last edited:
"Yes but RedBull, yes but Mercedes". So here some social media fun (at least I had to laugh in both situations) and from both rivals.
I try to keep it as neutral as possible ;).

==

View attachment 1093916
View attachment 1093917
Very nice. Marko has the perfect expression for that one.

I'm trying trying keep it neutral as much as I can, but really just hoping somehow it gets sorted solidly on track without all the lawyering and tit-for-tat petty drama kicking up.

I know it ain't gonna happen and all that background drama will still be there. But I can dream

Last edited:
Just another thought, but has anyone noticed how far out Max went on turn 1? I know Bottas wasn't in a great spot there to begin with, and I'm still looking for a good shot of it, but it looks like Max ran all the way to the outside of the track. Despite having Bottas on his outside. Just seems like the first half of lap 1 in the GPs seem to really be 'free for all' with no penalties as there have been lots of these type moves by lots of drivers this season.

Still no picture, but there was definitely not a lot of room left. That's also how Lando cut his tire, Sainz tried to block him towards the wall, which is off track essentially. Just no room being left
Looked more like what others might've done, to be honest. Just that the fact that Max ran Bottas off should surprise absolutely no one at this point.

..and speaking of Red Bull, when they go to a track and they are completely untouchable, do you also ask why they are so strong?
I always figured it's because this is the final season with the current regulations and Red Bull has put more resources to this year than most others, knowing their main rival will only bring limited upgrades. Basically, they view this as their best chance to get both titles since there's no telling what next year will bring.

A fantastic weekend of racing, in my opinion, and a masterclass for Hamilton with a bit of balanced luck for both contenders. The Mercedes, however, was a well balanced rocket and Lewis wrung its neck all the way - even with the difficulties passing Max this one looked nigh guaranteed after the great start and safety car.

Max on the other hand has elicited more disappointment from me. As time goes on I wonder where this wheel to wheel genius everyone bangs on about actually is; it seems to me he cannot execute a straightforward pass. A very rude move on Bottas that didn't warrant any investigation, but very much pushed the limits of leaving room, was skirted past on the broadcast and they seemed desperate to cut around it.

The fight against Lewis we did all see and very nearly ended in another pointless anticlimax. I liked the way Lewis reacted and measured up his second move slightly differently, setting it up all the way back in T12.

I can't defend for a moment an outpaced driver weaving down that straight from before even the pit exit. It's truly unsafe and not entertaining to watch in the slightest - a futile and dangerous gesture. Verstappen continues to drop in my esteem after really impressing me early doors this year.

Further to it, where is the onboard? I was saying this at the screen yesterday and it seems even the stewards never saw Max's forward onboard before making that decision, which is a headscratcher to put it mildly. If Max is doing dangerous maneuvers in these races, that's bad enough. If the broadcaster and stewards are covering for him, by discarding or ignoring relevant evidence, then there is a serious problem. This is quite the allegation, but I really have no idea how such a vital onboard found its way to the bottom of one of the lakes so quickly.

It's a real shame that Max is unable to race wheel-to-wheel without making it so "you lift off or we crash". It's been like that all season and the only times other cars have decided not to get out of Max's way, they've crashed (Silverstone and Monza). He can't race cleanly and Red Bull seem to think that's OK because they're encouraging it at every opportunity. This Brazil one was a clear case of Max just braking too late and not caring about the car ahead on his outside who has to get out of his way. However, it just needed a Black and White flag to tell him "that's not OK" because it wasn't worth a penalty as Lewis has the brains to allow it to happen and live to race another lap. Bottas on lap 1 was on the outside, but like every other race this year Max just pushed a car off the track and expected them to get out of his way, even though they have the right to space. Lewis has been guilty of that in the past with Rosberg, and got a load more 💩 for it than Max ever did because haha Bottas bad. Max has the points buffer that he knows he can keep driving Hamilton off the track like that because a double DNF benefits him not Lewis, so unless it starts being punished or at least investigated properly without the team managers whining to Michael Masi being broadcast we'll end up with the title decided by both drivers ending up with damaged suspension at the chicane at Abu Dhabi when Max just gives up on even making the white line.

I always figured it's because this is the final season with the current regulations and Red Bull has put more resources to this year than most others, knowing their main rival will only bring limited upgrades. Basically, they view this as their best chance to get both titles since there's no telling what next year will bring.

That's exactly what I was insinuating. When I asked the question, it's just to say that the first thought that I have is not that Red Bull have a suspicious car but that they've out developed Mercedes and Mercedes is left playing catch up. But it seems like some folks can only see one side of the coin and if it's not their liking, that means something is seriously wrong.

Rude yes, but Bottas never really left the track at that point. It was an agressive move on Max's part, but i wouldn't call it dirty.
Yeah, like I said, it was rude, and didn't warrant any investigation in my view, but it was annoying how it was a pass for the lead, somewhat sketchy, and I conveniently only get to see it basically in the corner of the screen as it happened live, and at no point after that.

Honestly though, how seriously can we take F1 going forward if we never see that onboard?
Hopefully it will appear in their "Best Onboards" compilation. However, there is very little precident for F1 finding onboard footage they didn't have automatically broadcast. Like we never saw Rosberg's view of the infamous Barcelona crash. The only incident I can think of is when we saw Stroll's view of Vettel driving into him on the slowdown lap in Malaysia. We still to this day don't have the T-Cam view of Vettel's antics in Baku 2017 either, as that would answer questions about the deliberateness of the safety car collision.

I'm amazed there isn't a physical backup of the footage on the cars. You'd think an FIA standard SD card in the T-Cam for all broadcast cameras for the sake of looking back would be a great idea.

Different reasons but the onboard of Grosjean as well.
They showed that up until the point of impact, but that's more likely as the camera was obliterated in the crash so there isn't much footage to show.

:lol: this one wins for sure.

Hopefully it will appear in their "Best Onboards" compilation. However, there is very little precident for F1 finding onboard footage they didn't have automatically broadcast. Like we never saw Rosberg's view of the infamous Barcelona crash. The only incident I can think of is when we saw Stroll's view of Vettel driving into him on the slowdown lap in Malaysia. We still to this day don't have the T-Cam view of Vettel's antics in Baku 2017 either, as that would answer questions about the deliberateness of the safety car collision.

I'm amazed there isn't a physical backup of the footage on the cars. You'd think an FIA standard SD card in the T-Cam for all broadcast cameras for the sake of looking back would be a great idea.
I forgot about Nico's onboard. I understand why F1 didn't get involved there since the team suffered a double DNF. But now knowing there's a pattern of this behaviour, doesn't give me a great feeling about the current situation.

As I've gotten older I've learned to detach myself from sports more. Stopped watching the NFL a few years ago for a multitude of reasons. Seems like F1 is headed that way as well.

Even though we probably have the closest fight for the Championship in the last decade, I'm still considering keeping the TV turned off that weekend.

This is something that's been bugging me awhile, glancing at reddit this morning quite a few people are of the same opinion... The directors seem intent on showing replays of the start by lap 3 (or even earlier), which then takes up full screen space for a good 90 seconds at least.

I say at least because it felt like an eternity this time around, we ended up missing Lewis getting by the Ferrari's and Yuki having a divebomb to forget. What's so difficult about having the live feed still shown somewhere on screen, i.e the example below?

F1 side by side replay.jpg

This is something that's been bugging me awhile, glancing at reddit this morning quite a few people are of the same opinion... The directors seem intent on showing replays of the start by lap 3 (or even earlier), which then takes up full screen space for a good 90 seconds at least.

I say at least because it felt like an eternity this time around, we ended up missing Lewis getting by the Ferrari's and Yuki having a divebomb to forget. What's so difficult about having the live feed still shown somewhere on screen, i.e the example below?

View attachment 1094042

This drives me nuts. I regularly have to watch races back as research for my YouTube channel, and they spend waaaay too long showing endless onboards from turn 1.

In a more lighthearted bit of news, O'Ward got to drive Mika's 1998 McLaren at Laguna Seca this weekend... dear GOD i miss that sound so much:

Still no picture, but there was definitely not a lot of room left. That's also how Lando cut his tire, Sainz tried to block him towards the wall, which is off track essentially. Just no room being left
I noticed this as well, it's pretty much a carbon copy incident.

Max now claiming that tire wear is the reason he drove straight off the track :lol:. No need for the excuses Max, the FIA has got your back.
Only 7 laps after he pitted? What a lame excuse. That's up there with his "extra 150HP" from the throttle pedal after a crash in Bahrain a few years ago.

Last edited:

View attachment 1094042
That’s been standard fare in American coverage for decades - whether it’s replays, interviews, or cutaway features, the directors do their utmost best to make sure you don’t get stuck actually watching the race, because we all know that’s boring.

Back