Formula 1 Japanese Grand Prix 2019Formula 1 

• Thread starter Jimlaad43
  • 206 comments

Jimlaad43

GeoGuessr God
Premium
United Kingdom
United Kingdom
The European season is officially over as we head off to Japan for its traditional October slot. Suzuka is a driver's circuit and is filled with many memorable moments from history, as the circuit often ended up as a title decider. With little-to-no space to make mistakes, running the tiniest bit wide can, and often, ends in a pretty sizeable accident at this track. Rain is always a threat in Japan, and with a Typhoon predicted to hit the circuit at some point on Saturday and/or Sunday, don't be surprised if there are sessions moved around or cancelled. Will we get a race on Sunday? Who knows. Hopefully common sense will prevail, as the last race hit by a Typhoon here was a tragic one. Let's hope for a fun, clean race at the Japanese Grand Prix.
image.png

First Grand Prix

Number of Laps

Circuit Length
5.807km

Race Distance
307.471 km

Lap Record
1:31.540 Kimi Räikkönen (2005)

A good place to put it - I made a prediction after Monza that Vettel will leave Ferrari and join Red Bull for 2020. I expect that to be announced sometime during this weekend, which would likely mean Sunday after the race... No source, just have a feeling. Probably very misguided thinking!!! :lol:

Race itself, can't see anything other than a Hamilton win with wet weather around. Expect some Honda reliability concerns as well, the engines will be running harder for longer to chase a result I hear... And I've also predicted a McLaren podium before the season is done, so another Hockenheim like race could be a good chance for that (please!?)

A good place to put it - I made a prediction after Monza that Vettel will leave Ferrari and join Red Bull for 2020. I expect that to be announced sometime during this weekend, which would likely mean Sunday after the race... No source, just have a feeling. Probably very misguided thinking!!! :lol:

That’s definitely a hot take, but I’m all for it. Seems like he still has a good relationship with them. I wouldn’t be surprised if he just called it altogether though.

I think Ferrari will be the car to beat this weekend, again. Despite Suzuka being famous and liked for many of its corners, it’s still a power circuit with 4 rather long full throttle sections, 3 of them being uphill. Ferrari hasn’t exactly been slow through the corners recently either.

Ferrari will probably find a way to defeat themselves though. Hopefully makes for a good race.

I really hope Honda has a good race this weekend, they’ve worked so long and hard, the deserve a good result here.

I really hope Honda has a good race this weekend, they’ve worked so long and hard, the deserve a good result here.

Even if the quali and race sessions are both on Sunday (looks like they will be) it'll be a lottery. Honda deserve some luck here.

Thoughts from quali:

Yamamoto is super impressive, to be that close to Kvyat in his first ever outing in an F1 car. It’s a shame that many consider him to be too old since I reckon with actual testing, he’d be one of the better drivers out there.

Like hot damn, Mercedes wins the championship this weekend. I don’t really see that gap shrinking.

Does anyone else just HATE Johnny Herbert? I rarely watch practice anymore so I’ve been able to avoid him but everything he says just annoys me to no end.

Does anyone else just HATE Johnny Herbert? I rarely watch practice anymore so I’ve been able to avoid him but everything he says just annoys me to no end.
The wardrobe department always make his presence even worse by putting him in a pair of skinny jeans, leaving his disgusting man-bulge on full display for the millions of viewers around the world.

I quite like him, his conjecture is usually wrong but that's pundits for you. I saw a soccer programme today and was surprised to see that it was just a load of ex-footballers making things up to fill time, I guess all sportist programmes must do something similar.

The wardrobe department always make his presence even worse by putting him in a pair of skinny jeans, leaving his disgusting man-bulge on full display for the millions of viewers around the world.

Nothing wrong with that :)

EDIT: FP2 running now... watch it if you can as the times will be the provisional quali times!

EDIT 2: The FP2 times. If qualifying is cancelled on Sunday then these will be the starting positions. I don't know how that works for tyre allocations although presumably the race will start Wet.

Suzuka_FP2_2019_F1.jpg

EDIT 3: There will be no FP3. Saturday is now a day off for the teams
:D

FIASuzukaStatement.jpg

Last edited:
If the scarring grid is determined by FP2 Bottas will let Hamilton through by turn 2.

Nothing wrong with that :)
I mean, you can wear what you want but from a fashion stand point, skinny jeans are barely in vogue. Especially if they don’t suit your body type and it’s up to the so called experts of the wardrobe department to know this.

I mean, you can wear what you want but from a fashion stand point, skinny jeans are barely in vogue. Especially if they don’t suit your body type and it’s up to the so called experts of the wardrobe department to know this.

I'm not one to lecture anyone on fashion but I do know that our 16 and 19 year old (boys) both wear skinny jeans. Maybe it's a British fashion at the moment.

If my conversion is correct, qualifying will be 9pm EST Saturday night. Gonna be a long night going straight into the race

I'm not one to lecture anyone on fashion but I do know that our 16 and 19 year old (boys) both wear skinny jeans. Maybe it's a British fashion at the moment.
We’re doing loose an tapered down here but I’ve always found you brits to be a little off kilter. :P
Wouldn't be an F1 thread without a discussion a bout fashion :lol:
In the Mexican GP thread we can go go back to criticising Hamilton’s style. I finally had the chance to shoehorn a comment in on Herbert’s crotch and I didn’t want to miss it. :lol:

Edit: Alternatively we could discuss Michael Schumacher’s interesting taste.

jkdsLwe.jpg

Last edited:
The first one is definitely Lewis Hamilton stylee... the other two are strangely acceptable now, albeit for two very different types of people. Who'd have thunk that MSC was so ahead of his time in fashion? Nobody, I bet.
that middle picture will never be acceptable

If the scarring grid is determined by FP2 Bottas will let Hamilton through by turn 2.

The guy does my nut in. He just completely lacks that killer instinct required to reach the top and Hamilton exploits it to the maximum. If Valterri was serious about the WDC one day he'd have collected Lewis into the gravel when he tried to get past like Rosberg did. Set a precedent; You are not coming past, I am not your #2. The problem is, he is.

To compensate for Saturday's action being cancelled, the Formule 1 Youtube channel is going to show the 2005 Japanese Grand Prix in its entirety tomorrow morning (9am BST)

The guy does my nut in. He just completely lacks that killer instinct required to reach the top and Hamilton exploits it to the maximum. If Valterri was serious about the WDC one day he'd have collected Lewis into the gravel when he tried to get past like Rosberg did. Set a precedent; You are not coming past, I am not your #2. The problem is, he is.

If anything Bottas' time at Mercedes has shown us how good Rosberg was.

If I recall correctly, this was the year that Killer Valteri would show his killer skills.

Turns out that he is about as murderous as an earth worm.

Gah, I was wondering whether to bother signing up to Now TV for the Japanese GP this weekend, only to discover that my monthly pass from last month automatically renewed - in other words, I’ve already inadvertently paid for another month :ouch:

That said, I just went to cancel my pass and got a ‘special offer’ for a discounted pass for the next 3 months - so I’ve now signed up to that :lol:

Ralf's 3 stop seems to have been a mistake...

Kimi and Alonso are flying up the order, Schumacher has been very slow

Kimi and Alonso are flying up the order, Schumacher has been very slow
Yeah. Ferrari haven't been quick this season. Had a lucky win at Indy and fought for the lead at Imola but that's about it.

Kimi and Alonso might get a podium but I think Fisichella's just too far away.

Meanwhile, Jarno's mad.

Back