Formula 1 Japanese Grand Prix 2019Formula 1 

• Thread starter Jimlaad43
  • 206 comments
Awww, they are reconciling already :lol::lol:

upload_2019-10-13_2-58-55.png

I'll say once more looking at that.

Thank god for the halo.
Tbh, and really honest, halo still has it's flaws (not in the looking, but in the object's size the halo can shield out)... Massa's spring incident in 2009 for example, the spring would have still hitted Massa even with the halo due to the spring's size, enough to enter through the halo's open sides. I think that's why a closed cockpit is still the best option, because it completely covers the driver from even the smallest particule...

So now, Bottas needs to win every race with fastest lap with Hamilton sixth or lower (fifth or lower and Hamilton wins on countback) to take the title, whereas Hamilton can win the title in Mexico if he wins with Bottas fourth or lower.

15 second penalty for Leclerc; 5 for the crash with Max and 10 for not pitting with an unsafe car.

Which puts him p7

So the stewards, saw the crash during the race, thought it was fine. Then we hear Max’s team radio and a few laps later the crash then goes into investigation? What happened?

Last edited:
Then we hear Max’s team radio and a few laps later the crash then goes into investigation? What happened?

We don't see/hear everything that goes on and in this case I bet there was a furious appeal to the stewards from Red Bull.

We don't see/hear everything that goes on and in this case I bet there was a furious appeal to the stewards from Red Bull.

Does that mean any race incident that they dismis can be re-opened and successfully penalised? Maybe this has always been the case but I've not see/remember it happening before

Congrats to Bottas and Mercedes. He's the only one with a mathematical chance for the WDC?

Ooh, 111 McLaren points! Nice.

Any optimism I had for Ferrari got dusted pretty much right away. Good job, guys! /golfclap

Does that mean any race incident that they dismis can be re-opened and successfully penalised? Maybe this has always been the case but I've not see/remember it happening before
It can, but it rarely happens. You need a good argument to reopen it, and in this case that argument was there.

The stewards can claim that a mistake was made in announcing NFA, or a party can provide new evidence... I think the important regulatory part is the notification of an investigation rather than the outcome.

Elsewhere in the paddock Force Point Stroll Racing India Racing have protested Renault's use of an "automatic brake bias system". The FIA have found "grounds for a protest" and have impounded Renault's steering wheels and ECU for an investigation.

Last edited:
Very poor day for the stewards today, You can argue the rights and wrongs of how lenient they should be but inconsistency is what kills trust and for me they just seem chaotic in their decision making at the moment.

It really does seem like they're just flipping a coin to decide now. I used to have an idea for how decisions would go but this year I've given up trying to expect what it will be. :confused:

It seems that RaceForcePointIndia are alleging that the Renault is autonomously altering its brake bias depending on how far around the lap it has driven. If that's the case then it's a slam-dunk DSQ, surely?

It seems that RaceForcePointIndia are alleging that the Renault is autonomously altering its brake bias depending on how far around the lap it has driven. If that's the case then it's a slam-dunk DSQ, surely?

That's quite an allegation.

And how would they have gotten the data to support that claim?

That's quite an allegation.

And how would they have gotten the data to support that claim?

No idea, I presume it must be a leak from inside the team. Or maybe their eagle-eyed monitor-watchers have spotted that Renault drivers don't adjust brake balance during a lap. I doubt we'll ever find out the details of who is making the allegations or the evidence that they're making them on, but the FIA's preliminary enquiries seem to have led them in a direction where they're taking it seriously.

Hold up. That’s an ingenious solution by Renault if it’s true. But why is it illegal? Isn’t that how ERS is deployed, using a lap sim?

Hold up. That’s an ingenious solution by Renault if it’s true. But why is it illegal? Isn’t that how ERS is deployed, using a lap sim?

The rules are clear that brake control must be entirely operated by the driver. Will Buxton is suggesting that the investigation now covers multiple races. Renault could be in deep poo if wrongdoing is found.

EDIT: RacePointingBackwardsFarce have prepared a 12-page dossier detailing the allegation. Clearly they believe in it, although Renault evidently don't:

Last edited:
Completely okay race. Enough nonsense to keep me interested. Absolutely didn't agree with the call to bring Hamilton in (if only to manipulate it so Bottas would regain the lead). It should have been a Merc 1/2. It's been years and years of the same nonsense that almost never works out: bring someone in with 8-9 laps left and put on slicks hoping they catch the guy in front.

Some tracks it occasionally works, and it often works if they give the driver 12-15-20 laps...but at a place like Suzuka? A blind person could see Hamilton had almost zero chance of passing Vettel. After Bottas pitted the second time I think he would have slowly wheeled Lewis in and they likely could have swapped safely (Hamilton was some 18 seconds ahead of Vettel with 12 laps to go so even if he dropped to 2nd it was highly unlikely he'd have been caught/passed by the end of the race....and if he did, worst case scenario he finishes 3rd.). Seems like a silly thing to throw away 2nd place points (even if they're not needed).

Those post race penalties are a bit pointless to me and unnecessary. There was nothing a post race interview was going to add to the situations (new info) and the situations (slam dunk) should have been dealt with in race.

Back