Formula 1 Magyar Nagydíj 2016

• Thread starter Jimlaad43
  • 509 comments

Jimlaad43

GeoGuessr God
Premium
United Kingdom
United Kingdom
After a rather disappointing British Grand Prix in terms of racing and safety car starts, we move to the newly repaved Hungaroring. Often described as a Street circuit without the houses, the tight and twisty layout has hosted 30 consecutive Grand Prix', making it the third longest holder of that accolade. Usually known for not producing the best races of the season, since the 2014 regulations changes, the Hungaroring has produced some of the best races of their respective seasons.
Get ready for fast laps and super hot temperatures as we head to the Hungarian Grand Prix.
1421422217668.png

HUNGARORING

FIRST GRAND PRIX

NUMBER
OF LAPS

CIRCUIT LENGTH
4.381KM (2.722 Miles)

RACE DISTANCE
306.63KM (190.531 Miles)

LAP
RECORD

1:19.071 Michael Schumacher, Ferrari 2004

TYRE ALLOCATIONS
Super-Soft, Soft & Medium

2015 RESULT

1 Sebastian Vettel (Ferrari)

2 Daniil Kvyat (Red Bull-Renault)

3 Daniel Ricciardo (Red Bull-Renault)

2015 Fastest lap - Daniel Ricciardo (Red Bull-Renault) 1:24.821 (lap 61)​

Woohoo Magyar Nagydij!

Anyways... Probably gonna be another snooze fest unless the Red Bulls/Ferraris jump the mercs off the line

Woohoo Magyar Nagydij!

I also still don't get why we need the official titles. Makes them impossible to find in a search unless you remember, I struggled to find Austria a couple of days ago.

Anyways... Probably gonna be another snooze fest unless the Red Bulls/Ferraris jump the mercs off the line

Actually this could/should be our best shot at Red Bull giving Mercedes a genuine race. Just remember what happened at Monaco, the other track that benefits good chassis/aero over pure power. Red Bull on pole and should've won if not for the pit-stop calamity.

If I were a betting man I'd be throwing a tenner on a Max pole. 7/1 currently.

Why search? They're very easy to find in the Motorsports forum.

Yeah but even visually scanning for them it's harder to see, or sometimes I use Ctrl+F to find a thread title in the list if it doesn't immediately jump out. I did that with Austria and obviously didn't find it until I remembered it had a different title.

I know it's a minor thing but I just don't see the benefit to using the official titles. It's a forum thread, not an FIA document.

Yeah but even visually scanning for them it's harder to see, or sometimes I use Ctrl+F to find a thread title in the list if it doesn't immediately jump out. I did that with Austria and obviously didn't find it until I remembered it had a different title.

I know it's a minor thing but I just don't see the benefit to using the official titles. It's a forum thread, not an FIA document.
I just searched for Hungarian in the search box at the top of the page, and this was the first thread that came up.

I just searched for Hungarian in the search box at the top of the page, and this was the first thread that came up.

Because it's new, I'd imagine. When you search for Austria it's halfway down the first page and it was on the second page when I searched for it to bump it with the Vettel details.

As I say it's not a big deal, I just don't understand why we wouldn't use the English names.

I've found that Hungary is one of the most consistent for wacky races, right up there with Canada.

Hopefully that continues, would love a Ricciardo win this weekend.

Was I watching a different race? I thought it was great.
I was not fussed, i was there, but i also watched the whole race again at home after and apart from Max pulling some moves, i found it it pretty dull....The safety car start took away the best bit and probably robbed us of a battle upfront. I was dissapointed to say the least.

Hamilton is calling on Mercedes to consider taking a double engine penalty to build up a bank of fresh engines.

As stupid as the carry-over penalties were, I have always thought that this practice should be stamped out. The whole point of component penalties was to promote reliability, so I have always seen deliberately taking a double penalty as undermining the regulations. If a driver needs to take two fresh engines, then he should be given two consecutive ten-place penalties, not one twenty-place penalty (unless the team csn prove that the second change was necessary).

I was not fussed, i was there, but i also watched the whole race again at home after and apart from Max pulling some moves, i found it it pretty dull....The safety car start took away the best bit and probably robbed us of a battle upfront. I was dissapointed to say the least.
I thought it was good purely for that wet patch at turn 1.

And yes I think you actually see more on the tv than actually being there.

Actually this could/should be our best shot at Red Bull giving Mercedes a genuine race. Just remember what happened at Monaco, the other track that benefits good chassis/aero over pure power. Red Bull on pole and should've won if not for the pit-stop calamity.

If I were a betting man I'd be throwing a tenner on a Max pole. 7/1 currently.
Given how Mercedes hasn't won here since Hamilton did it with the non-hybrid car in 2014, I'd say this is the best shot for the remainder of the season for a non-Mercedes to win.

Barring mechanical gremlins or another Hamilton/Rosberg clash, of course.

I've found that Hungary is one of the most consistent for wacky races, right up there with Canada.

Hopefully that continues, would love a Ricciardo win this weekend.

In by wacky you mean that you can give Hamilton a tire shredding Merc and he'll still win. Or have him start from pit lane and still make podium. I'm guessing though that people will want a repeat of last year in regards to the Merc drivers.

After a rather disappointing British Grand Prix in terms of racing and safety car starts

Hey.

I actually enjoyed that race.

I only fell asleep twice.

-

But honestly, it was quite nice watching the drivers slither around, and there were a few memorable overtakes between the procession at the start and the collision at the end.

Found this story interesting while watching a report on the relationship between Russian intelligence services and their doping programme:
There are sports where there is a lot of doping, like Formula 1, football, golf, tennis, etc which are completely sheltered, for reasons unknown. So if I take tennis or golf as an example, it's interesting to know that the unions that manage the international circuit are those that oversee anti-doping tests. So it is rather odd. It's as if you composed a jury of the criminal's family members.
I'm not sure who Jean-François Duborg is - the article only lists him as a "sports economist" - and he doesn't actually provide any basis for the claim.

Found this story interesting while watching a report on the relationship between Russian intelligence services and their doping programme:

I'm not sure who Jean-François Duborg is - the article only lists him as a "sports economist" - and he doesn't actually provide any basis for the claim.

Yes, because you need mondo muscle mass inside a cockpit just big enough for a ninety pound girl.

-

That said, does F1 even do drug screening?

Yes, because you need mondo muscle mass inside a cockpit just big enough for a ninety pound girl.
I suppose doping isn't simply limited to building muscle. Anything that could improve concentration, reaction times or even cardiovascular endurance would be of benefit.

Motorsport in general does it, but more for illicit drugs than performance enhancing ones. Tomas Enge tested positive for marijuana a few years ago, and Franck Montagny was pretty much forced into retirement when he tested positive for cocaine.

Yes, and they have for quite a long time. It's done to the WADA standards.

There's a little more to it than that... otherwise WADA wouldn't have needed such a complex investigation, it would have been obvious who was cheating. Even by Russian women's standards :D

There's no reason to do doping in F1. I mean, if the car is rubbish, then being super fit won't change that.

Maybe they should test the Mercedes cars for EPO? The plot thickens...

Here are Sky Sports' Classic Races for this week;

Tuesday - Hungary 2003
Wednesday - Hungary 2011
Thursday - Hungary 2013
Sunday - Germany 1993 & 1996

Doping isn't just about building muscle mass.

It can be used to increase muslce stamina, which reduces fatigue (like blood doping in cycling).

It can also be used to enhance mental capacities, whether it's concentration, reflexes, etc. American (probably all) fighter pilots take "Go Pills" before and during a sortie for a reason....and it has nothing to do with muslce mass.

Also, as interesting as this discussion is, it has nothing to do with Magyar Nagydij (whatever that is...I speak English, not whatever language that's from), and probably deserves it's own thread so that I can find this convo in 5 years.

Rory McIlroy, came out last week and said that he doesn't believe that doping would actually help in Golf. I'm inclined to think the same about Motorsport at the top level.

Maybe there is some sort of drug that increases focus and concentration that would have prevented the likes of Maldonado crashing so often but I believe a top level driver in all the FIA top level events would be 100% focused at all times.

There's a call to be very fit in F1, but I don't think that being the fittest of all would be an advantage, drivers just need a certain level to be able to handle the forces for a long period.

Maybe I'm wrong and maybe there is an advantage. I don't know how much this will be investigated regarding all Russian athletes but maybe we'll hear if Vitaly Petrov gets investigated...

as interesting as this discussion is, it has nothing to do with Magyar Nagydij
You don't think it's relevant that there have bern allegations of doping and a cover up the week before the race?

(whatever that is...I speak English, not whatever language that's from)
Hungarian. It's Hungarian for "Hungarian Grand Prize".

You don't think it's relevant that there have bern allegations of doping and a cover up the week before the race?
It's relevent to F1, but not specific to the Hangarian Grand Prize. It should have its own topic.

Hungarian. It's Hungarian for "Hungarian Grand Prize".
When did GTP change to using languages other than English? Or are we making exceptions now? I don't really care, I'm just curious.

When did GTP change to using languages other than English?
It's the formal title of the race.

Or are we making exceptions now?
You do know that "Grand Prix" is French for "Grand Prize", right? And that English is an amalgam of a variety of languages; "window", for instance, is a Danish word.

It should have its own topic.
There's nothing stopping you from making one. But I doubt you will find much to discuss outside the context of the race.

Back