Tsunoda: 1.295
Vettel: 1.301
Russell: 1.369
Giovinazzi: 1.433
Raikkonen: 1.861
Latifi: 2.076
Schumacher: 2.410
Mazepin: 2.848
Out of curiosity, and this probably a dumb question, what are the averages being compared against? I.e., is Verstappen on average 0.145 away from a particular time, or is it just the average difference in lap times?

Out of curiosity, and this probably a dumb question, what are the averages being compared against? I.e., is Verstappen on average 0.145 away from a particular time, or is it just the average difference in lap times?
It's their average gap to pole/fastest time. I take everyone's best laps, add up the gaps to whatever the fastest time in qualifying was and then divide it by the number of qualifying sessions (minus any where they haven't set a time at all). If they're fastest I count that as a session but add zero to their total time.

Gaps.png

I'd assume that it's average time away from pole position each race. For example, a driver who is on pole one week is 0.000 away from it, but if they're 0.200s off pole the next week their average gap to pole is 0.100s ([0.000+0.200]/2). If they're back on pole the next week, that falls to 0.067s ([0.000 + 0.200 + 0.000]/3), but if they're 0.200 off again it'd rise to 0.133s ([0.000+0.200+0.200]/3).

Last edited:
If you want to have some fun with your friends, watch the replay of quali and tell then they have to take a drink every time Brundle says "Hamilton Straight".

:lol:

Good to see Merc back in the fight. We desperately need them to win to keep this championship close.

I must say it's weird seeing the guy on top in quali not being awarded pole position. They're really trying hard to say it's a sprint "quali", but it's a race for all intents and purposes. If this goes on it will definitely mess up the stats books going forward (like those 100% win rates for Indy 500 drivers back in the 50s).

I also don't get why we have a 2nd practice when the cars are already in parc ferme since before quali. Sure they get to test long run pace but if they can't make changes to the cars, then what's the point?

So what tires do we think people are going to use for the sprint race? I wonder if there will be some brave souls going out on the soft!

He doesn't though. He just shouts when it really doesn't warrant it to try and make things seem exciting when they're not.

IS HE GOING TO TAKE A DIVE DOWN THE INSIDE!?!!?!!?!!!!!!!!!

No David, he's 200m too far back and there is only one line through the next corner.
I don't see it the same way. So what, he's supposed to be boring when the race is boring and sound as though he doesn't care? If you think he's bad, why don't you find some videos about Rick Allen, Marty Snyder and Vince Welch? Or that guy who does the Macau GP? Crofty is far better and far less annoying than any of those guys IMO.

Today's the day of the Sprint Race. As sceptical and against the race as I am, it doesn't stop the fact that I'm really excited for it later today. It's great to be here for an historic day in F1 history. hopefully it'll be better than that disastrous Elimination Qualifying.

I don't see it the same way. So what, he's supposed to be boring when the race is boring and sound as though he doesn't care? If you think he's bad, why don't you find some videos about Rick Allen, Marty Snyder and Vince Welch? Or that guy who does the Macau GP? Crofty is far better and far less annoying than any of those guys IMO.
Get excited when it's appropriate, fill gaps with intelligent discussion, not crap jokes and conspiracy theories. BTW I never said he was the worst personally, I just don't like him.

Today's the day of the Sprint Race. As sceptical and against the race as I am, it doesn't stop the fact that I'm really excited for it later today. It's great to be here for an historic day in F1 history. hopefully it'll be better than that disastrous Elimination Qualifying.
I really like lights out so the sprint offers twice the fun for me, hopefully its entertaining. My concern is the full race will become more uniform with less overtaking due to the sprint, however it could shake up the order if something dramatic happens...

if something dramatic happens
Which is presumably what FOM are hoping for.

Under normal circumstances though I'm not expecting much change beyond the usual first half lap shuffling. PER will probably jump LEC and RUS will go backwards like usual. Alpine's might do a bit, but really all it boils down to is pretty much the same as the first third of any normal race up to the first stops. Only difference now is we've got another first third and the other two thirds tomorrow.

Caught up on highlights, and Russell is a beast.

Good to see Lando and Ricciardo so close in pace. FP2 has me worried about the Ferraris.

I'm still skeptical about the whole sprint thing, but we'll see. Let's gooooooooooooooooo!

Let's have a quick poll. "Haha" rate this post if you think the Sprint Race will be exciting, "Poo" rate this post if you think it will be boring.

This is not a poll for how it will affect the race, just whether the race today will be better than watching a quali session.

Let's have a quick poll. "Haha" rate this post if you think the Sprint Race will be exciting, "Poo" rate this post if you think it will be boring.

This is not a poll for how it will affect the race, just whether the race today will be better than watching a quali session.
I went hmm, which is quite obviously in the middle of the Haha Poo F1 rating scale.

I think because it's the first one with the unknown-ish factors we might see a bit more action than we would if it was a regular occurrence every weekend and the teams had all the perfect strategy and data like usual. But on the flipside nothing has changed regarding the cars, they're still hard to follow, and the tyres are still not built to go hard racing 100% for even 30 minutes, they'll be fried. So on balance, I'm leaning towards mildly exciting at times but mostly processional, like the first stint of most races.

What will make the whole sprint race exciting is if there's carnage on the first lap or one of the championship contenders has a DNF sending them to the back of the grid tomorrow. But I'm betting it'll just be a processional race.

"Haha" rate this post if you think the Sprint Race will be exciting, "Poo" rate this post if you think it will be boring.
I think it'll be crap, which means it'll be excellent, though if I suspect it will be excellent it will probably be crap.

One thing doing my brain in at the moment is that Hamilton qualified on pole for the sprint race in a literal qualifying session, but F1 officially calls this session "F1 Sprint" rather than "race", and doesn't classify it as a race, so it's not a race, so the pole position for the race isn't actually his unless he wins the not-a-race-race to qualify on pole for the race-race.

s reactions series GIF

I think it will probably be about the same to a bit worse. I'm thinking after a few laps it will settle down to tire management and a procession as it does in the usual race.

Last edited:
Bottas on the faster tyre, telling the Dutch reporter before the race that he has nothing to lose and still is ass.

And Perez is a dangerous dumb ass.

Last edited:
Back