Formula 1 Pirelli British Grand Prix 2021Formula 1 

• Thread starter Jimlaad43
  • 883 comments
1626538282337.png

😬

Have they already don't whatever format they came up with for the non podium? C4 hyped it up then went to an ad break at the end of the race and are now doing analysis.
Verstappen gets a reef and the interviews are being done on the bus going around the track.

I think this was kind of fun, but only as a one time thing. It was only really enjoyable because it was different, not because it was especially good

Watching this, it felt like Alonso was the one thing that kept it interesting. The only other thing that really seems to create excitement for the grid on race day is having an incident like Perez's, but that's clearly something all the teams will likely not repeat.

Last edited:
If they keep this they need to have "qualifying" on Saturday morning. Practice this morning with Parc Ferme was utterly pointless.
They won't though, they want more $ from Friday action, both bums on seats and and revenue.

Sure but they don't usually have such laser focus on one car for so long, they usually cut elsewhere to show some other drivers. Just found it really odd how hard they went on the Alonso show.
I'm glad they didn't focus solely on the frontrunners. Too often in the past the midfield and tailenders can be having a brilliant scrap, and it's never shown in favour of 3 cars trundling around with 3 seconds between each.
TV production has been terrible all season. The one majorly dramatic moment at Monaco with Vettel narrowly squeezing out on track ahead of Gasly and Hamilton was not shown, in favor of showing something completely pointless somewhere else on track.
Monaco does its own TV production, so they're not the same people doing today's TV direction. The TV direction was OK today, showing on track battles and a minimum of crowd shots (once we got going).

Last edited:
Channel 4 highlights for a sprint race at Hungary could be tricky to sell but I guess that's the modern fan engagement of a few minutes on youtube or other social media they're shifting towards.

The rule changes next year could make this format more interesting but for now it's just the first 20 mins of a normal race that settles down quickly. Over time it could be even more less risky and could be counter productive for tomorrow as the early lap overtakes and pace difference of the cars is more settled now. We might see even less overtakes or excitement on the Sunday opening laps.

Last edited:
Roo
I'm glad they didn't focus solely on the frontrunners. Too often in the past the midfield and tailenders can be having a brilliant scrap, and it's never shown in favour of 3 cars trundling around with 3 seconds between each.

Monaco does its own TV production, so they're not the same people doing today's TV direction. Once we got going the TV direction was OK today, showing on track battles and a minimum of crowd shots (once we got going).
All the tracks have a local production team. There was a good mini documentary about it but I can't find the link right now.

There's a local director at the track and everything is streamed back to the UK where the feed is put together, then beamed out everywhere.

All the tracks have a local production team. There was a good mini documentary about it but I can't find the link right now.

There's a local director at the track and everything is streamed back to the UK where the feed is put together, then beamed out everywhere.
It used to be that way but not any more. FOM direct every race except Monaco as stated, which is TCM. Other than that it's the same team every weekend.

There isn't a local director who is biased towards local drivers like the old days.

Last edited:
It used to be that way but not any more. FOM direct every race except Monaco as stated, which is TCM. Other than that it's the same team every weekend.

There isn't a local director who is biased towards local drivers like the old days.
Okay let me rephrase: there is a director on site at the track each weekend that makes the decisions on what cameras to show, what angles to pick, etc.

It doesn't matter if this is the same individual that travels around the world or if there's a handful of people, or if each track has their own. Point is the direction this season is bad.

I mentioned Monaco because it had a glaring example, but the production has been similarly bad elsewhere too. At RBR we got to see Verstappen cross the line half a lap up from everyone else and not see the on track racing action that happened around Russell, Kimi, and Vettel. That's another example off the top of my head.

Max Verstappen sets the longest ever F1 Pole time, and Nikita Mazepin becomes the driver with the longest ever grid-setting time in F1 history.

Watching the Macs on-board, I would've never guessed I'd see a NBA team on a F1 car by seeing the Phoenix Suns on their halos. Brief digging shows McLaren & Phoenix have a mutual share holder & it's just friendly support. Too bad the NBA/Nike are super strict on their jerseys, as it would be neat to catch a returning McLaren logo as a little patch.

Sprint race went as expected. Like the first 17 laps of a grand prix.

The thing to remember with the sprint race format, is, for the long term, these aren't the cars the format is intended for. If the new gen cars can follow and race as closely as expected with tyres that can be pushed harder without overheating, the spec races gradually start to make more sense. This is a physical weekend format test more than anything. Simply because with the new gen cars, in theory, it should be vastly more exciting and closer.

Lando was not happy getting asked about the mugging again on Channel 4...

They actually asked him about it? The guy has said he wants to move on and forget about it. What the 🤬?

How is this not a dangerous rejoin?

Perez got away with a sketchy rejoin as well.

Last edited:
They actually asked him about it? The guy has said he wants to move on and forget about it. What the 🤬?
Yes they did. Either Steve Jones or a director in his ear made a very poor choice to ask that question. What response did they even expect? Either way it's not going to be good to remind him

Yes they did. Either Steve Jones or a director in his ear made a very poor choice to ask that question. What response did they even expect? Either way it's not going to be good to remind him

That's actually ridiculous. He should have walked away. Well within reason to do.

Perez rejoining from Tsunoda's POV:

Not nearly as bad as Perez's onboard made it look.

The sprint race was a bit boring, only the first few laps where interesting but then everyone just settled in there places. Normally there are pit stops that can change things a bit. Maybe they should allow DRS like on the normal qualifier?

Last edited:
Report that Sainz had to meet with the Stewarts for his re-entry in an unsafe manner. Also reports he, Vettel, & Mazepin had to meet for the practice starts at the end of P2.

Last edited:
Hmm. Lewis Hamilton set the fastest lap in both Q3 and Sprint, meaning he's the only driver in history to set the fastest lap in relevant qualifying sessions and - without any penalty sanctions - not start the race on pole position.
So, put him on pole so he can get passed into turn 1 again tomorrow? ;)

Back