Formula 1 Pirelli British Grand Prix 2021Formula 1 

• Thread starter Jimlaad43
  • 883 comments
@Famine, what's your list of "Mazespin" nicknames like "David Cop a Feel"? I could do with a laugh as his 17th spin of the season is starting to get weary rather than comedic now.

@Famine, what's your list of "Mazespin" nicknames like "David Cop a Feel"? I could do with a laugh as his 17th spin of the season is starting to get weary rather than comedic now.
I honestly ran out of them about four struggle-snuggles ago. He truly is the git who keeps on giving (especially when you don't want him to).

I missed the first 3 laps of the sprint, and had it not been for some replays of the start during the later lull periods, I would've missed most of the action. A maximum of 3 points for slightly less than 1/3 of a full race distance strikes me as inadequate. Also, it does nothing to address complaints of processional racing.

DK
I missed the first 3 laps of the sprint, and had it not been for some replays of the start during the later lull periods, I would've missed most of the action. A maximum of 3 points for slightly less than 1/3 of a full race distance strikes me as inadequate. Also, it does nothing to address complaints of processional racing.
I think that's what the 2022 car is for.

I mean, it was a thing. It felt just like a Formula 1 race (and that's not exactly praise). I don't see it adding anything to the race weekend.

So Russell performed a dangerous move when he and Sainz touched in a textbook racing incident, but Sainz did everything he could when rejoining the track mere inches from a train of cars?

Real consistency in steward's decisions there...

If they'd given Russell a 5s penalty he'd have lost 4 spots not 3.

Penalties are often given based on how the innocent victim (Sainz) fares after the contact. He lost loads of spaces after being forced off, as did Perez in Austria. As it was Russell's mistake and he lost nothing, but Sainz lost loads, I reckon that's why he got a penalty.

If they'd given Russell a 5s penalty he'd have lost 4 spots not 3.

Penalties are often given based on how the innocent victim (Sainz) fares after the contact. He lost loads of spaces after being forced off, as did Perez in Austria. As it was Russell's mistake and he lost nothing, but Sainz lost loads, I reckon that's why he got a penalty.
Yeah if he had been hit with 5 seconds he would have been starting two spots further back. It might not have been 5 seconds though since penalties are supposed to be scaled to race distance.

With Perez and Lando in Austria, Perez was muscled off track by Lando running wide. There was no lock up, no car ahead locking up either (something I think influenced Russell locking up), Perez didn't turn in on Lando from the outside like Sainz did on Russell. So it's less about the consequences and more about the circumstances causing the contact or the off track excursion. Russell and Sainz was a race incident in my opinion. Russell locked up a little, but Sainz turned in on him. Impossible to say who is more at fault, and penalizing one party for a shared fault incident because the other party suffered worse is GTS levels of awarding penalties.

So the incidents aren't equivalent (Lando/Perez vs Russell/Sainz)

And if Russell's lockup is dangerous enough to warrant a penalty, and Bottas' harmless spin in pitlane warranting the same, I absolutely think Sainz rejoining the track in the pack with Gasly having to take evasive maneuvers warrants a penalty too.

Inconsistent enforcement of the rules is worse than bad calls.

Id rather they just issued few points out for Qualifying. Not a fan of the sprint.
It'll work great in Monaco!

sarcastic sarcasm GIF

Here's what a perfectly safe rejoin looks like from the perspective of a FIA steward, by the way. Sainz proceeds to just drive out on the track here.
Screenshot_20210718-135558-773.png

If I’m not mistaken, that looked like Michael Douglas there with Tom. One of the last people I’d expect there but then again, I’ve also seen Mathew McConaughey at the Austin GP.

If Hamilton is at fault.
He wont really be punished.

We've seen him get a +10second penalty and still be +90seconds infront.

Back