Formula 1 Pirelli British Grand Prix 2021Formula 1 

• Thread starter Jimlaad43
  • 883 comments
As Jonathon Wheatly has just said on the radio, that corner is not a corner where you poke your nose in.

Oof, looking at the slo-mo, it doesn't look great for Lewis, espescially since Max noticed Lewis and corrected slightly mid-corner before the wreck. Lewis was just in a really bad spot and probably should've backed down a bit.

Don’t you love how these hybrid cars can potentially be live after a crash? Took long enough to move that car.

A rare treat for the ferrari fans having a car at the front! For me those opening corners were the most intense racing we've had so far this year, it really makes things spicier in the championship going forward. Even with a penalty I would expect Lewis to overhaul LeClerc though...

Last edited:
Hamilton was clearly to blame and deserves a penalty. Should never have attempted to stick his nose alongside Max into Copse going 180mph.

At times like this, you wish teams had a T-Car.

Max would still be in the race and could hop in it and still be in the fight.

1626618386368.png

This is the point at which Verstappen started turning in, and also the point at which Hamilton backed out. They can both see each other, they're both entitled to room, and they both could have done more to avoid each other - but they made contact anyway. Racing incident.

Although with Christian "Karen" Horner's radio message, I hope Verstappen gets a penalty for it 😄

Yeah, that's obvious, but not acceptable.
How is it not acceptable? They were racing each other, they were going through multiple corners, wheel-to-wheel, so this was going to happen eventually. It's the nature of this sport for things like this to happen. If anything, I'm surprised Max and Lewis haven't had more crashes like this considering how hard they've been pushing each other.
Hence 'one of the most' and not 'the most'
Yeah, the car's mangled, but we've seen some other interesting crashes this season as well. Valtteri's is the last one that was as 'bad' as this one, at least from what I remember. In terms of fixes, this RB looked pretty much destroyed.

Last edited:
I see it as Hamilton's fault. He was attacking and was relying on Max to back out to avoid contact. I could see no penalty if they decide it was a 1st lap racing incident. Also, Hamilton does appear to be sufficiently alongside to argue for racing incident.

Hamilton kept his line though. Max can't turn in expecting Hamilton to be completely on he inside well before the apex.
He didn't keep his line. When pro drivers say Lewis missed the apex, that means he missed his line. Max clearly provided the required space. Lewis couldn't hit the line he was given. Since he was not ahead, he didn't earn the corner. (I hate that last "requirement" but the majority of fans and GTP folks believe in it)

Even if they had made it through, Max would've had lots more speed on the exit, so a pointless risk from Lewis.

Alternatively, it was always going to end in Lewis running Max wide off track in some way.

Penalty or not, it was a dick move.

Last edited:
I can't see how it's a racing incident, is Russell can cop a 3 place penalty for not seeing Sainz blast round the outside and drivers can get 5 second penalties for racing in Austria then surely it has to be a drive through at the very least. He's been given space, he knew he wasn't making it, didn't back out enough.

Back