Formula 1 Pirelli British Grand Prix 2021Formula 1 

• Thread starter Jimlaad43
  • 883 comments
Vettel stuck his nose up all the way along the straight. We could compare with where Lewis was that far from Copse, aka, firmly behind.
1626622815196.png

Alonso had already braked at this point (2014 cars didn't have the downforce; he'd braked 80m earlier). The difference here is that Alonso is experienced and gave Vettel room (and it was the end of a race), but Verstappen is not and turned in (and it was the start of the race). Verstappen is exciting to watch and good fun, and is giving us the best championship (at the sharp end anyway) in years, but he's still raw and reckless.

I also think Hamilton didn't give Verstappen enough room (hence racing incident; two aggressive drivers not giving the other room, resulting in a collision). My speculation that Hamilton has gone with an "if we crash, we crash" attitude after several races of allowing Verstappen to get away with it is just speculation.

Last edited:
It doesn't seem like Red Bull have the straight line speed to overtake, so options are probably limited. I don't know if they dialed out some downforce yesterday.

Alonso had already braked at this point. The difference here is that Alonso is experienced and gave Vettel room (and it was the end of a race), but Verstappen is not and turned in (and it was the start of the race). Verstappen is exciting to watch and good fun, and is giving us the best championship (at the sharp end anyway) in years, but he's still raw and reckless.

I also think Hamilton didn't give Verstappen enough room (hence racing incident; two aggressive drivers not giving the other room, resulting in a collision). My speculation that Hamilton has gone with an "if we crash, we crash" attitude after several races of allowing Verstappen to get away with it is just speculation.
Verstappen left 2 car widths on the inside. Lewis went in too hard to be able to fit in that space. He understeered because of that and hit Max.

Lewis should have realized that when you start steering from the absolute inside of the corner, you can't go through it as fast, especially if there is still a car on the outside. Looking at the replay, I'm not even sure if he would have made the corner if he wouldn't have hit Max.

Alonso had already braked at this point. The difference here is that Alonso is experienced and gave Vettel room (and it was the end of a race), but Verstappen is not and turned in (and it was the start of the race). Verstappen is exciting to watch and good fun, and is giving us the best championship (at the sharp end anyway) in years, but he's still raw and reckless.

You've snapped it at the point where they're level with the end of the pit wall, quite a bit after the point where Alonso backed out, and even with taking the most supportive time you could have Lewis is only just becoming level at that point - and immediately has to brake for the corner.

As in the actual corner, rather than the straight where Vettel-Alonso got alongside.

Last edited:
Lewis should have realized that when you start steering from the absolute inside of the corner, you can't go through it as fast, especially if there is still a car on the outside.
He did. He slowed.
You've snapped it at the point where they're level with the end of the pit wall, quite a bit after the point where Alonso backed out
Yes, as the very first words of my post state...

The 2014 cars were eleven seconds a lap slower, with signficantly less downforce, so Alonso yielded the corner about 80m earlier. And that remains the point - Horner is absolutely wrong. In that clip the experienced driver on the outside yielded to a car sticking its nose up the inside, even after not having yielded the several previous corners from even tighter positions, due to the nature of Copse.

Edit: Lol. Hamilton goes up the inside of Leclerc at Copse. But everyone knows you don't do that, says Horner.

Last edited:

Latest Posts

Back