Formula 1 Pirelli British Grand Prix 2021Formula 1 

• Thread starter Jimlaad43
  • 883 comments
I wonder if today will chnage the dynamic in racing between Lewis & Max. Max is generally more aggressive, Lewis tending to yield more often, however he has sent a clear message of not backing down wheel to wheel today.

Cannot believe he might win after sending the leader to the hospital.

DchCflZ.png
Wait he had to go to the hospital?

Tsunoda got the same penalty last week for twice crossing the white line at the pit lane exit, which put no one in harm's way, gave him no discernible advantage and had no effect on the championship.

From my view the case with lewis and Max was a racing incident but then you watch the same situation with Leclerc and guess what he did...he gave lewis more space and not completely closed the gap cause I'm sure he knows he'd rather finish with points than crashing and be completely out of it.

From my view the case with lewis and Max was a racing incident but then you watch the same situation with Leclerc and guess what he did...he gave lewis more space and not completely closed the gap cause I'm sure he knows he'd rather finish with points than crashing and be completely out of it.
But there's something seriously wrong if you need to back out of a fight because the other driver is endangering you.

Also the speed differential between Charles and Lewis was way higher than between Max and Lewis

Verstappen also did not "completely close the gap", he left tons of space

Last edited:
Yes, as the very first words of my post state...

The 2014 cars were eleven seconds a lap slower, with signficantly less downforce, so Alonso yielded the corner about 80m earlier. And that remains the point - Horner is absolutely wrong. In that clip the experienced driver on the outside yielded to a car sticking its nose up the inside, even after not having yielded the several previous corners from even tighter positions, due to the nature of Copse.

Doesn't change that Lewis was not alongside along the straight, whereas Vettel had got the move done well before the corner.

Edit: Lol. Hamilton goes up the inside of Leclerc at Copse. But everyone knows you don't do that, says Horner.

Hamiton sends Leclerc off at Copse while not even having any overlap. Poor Charles just wanted to live. :(

Say what you like, but it seems that other drivers do not trust Hamilton not to be reckless like they used to.

But there's something seriously wrong if you need to back out of a fight because the other driver is endangering you.

Also the speed differential between Charles and Lewis was way higher than between Max and Lewis
They were both endangering themselves with the aggressive battle. They made contact before.

Uh... congrats to Lewis? I guess? It was a good recovery drive, though it was a shame Max got knocked out. WDC and WCC landscape drastically altered.

Leclerc was amazing. I was not expecting that. At all. Should've won. I wanted him to win.

Fight for 3rd in the WCC is pretty exciting.

Solid Norris performance. Ricciardo did well to keep Sainz behind.

Are you even watching the same race?
I'm not watching any race.
Verstappen was on the outside leaving more than enough space.
He very definitely left more than enough space, right up until the point he aimed for the apex ignoring a car alognside him, yes.

It has worked at every race this season with Hamilton/Verstappen battles, and Hamilton has let him do it. This time he's let him hit him - I suspect he's realised the long game isn't going to work, and the only way to combat Verstappen's aggression is to give it back, but that's only speculation.

Lewis wasn't even remotely close to the apex
Of course he wasn't. He was denied the chance to reach the apex. It's about 70m further up the road than this shot, and Verstappen is aiming at it despite there being a car right there:

1626624661541.png

That 60cm gap to Hamilton's right is definitely more than enough room.

When Verstappen's rear wheel hits Hamilton's front, it affects the steering (since they're the wheels that steer) and front-end downforce by lifting the nose, causing understeer and a loss of control. While the Mercedes skitters across to the left after the collision it still makes the corner exit.

Verstappen's role in the collision is proven by the lack of a collision between Hamilton and Norris, and Hamilton and Leclerc, in the same moves in the same corner. He was as aggressive as he usually is, but Hamilton didn't simply let him get away with it this time. It looks like he's just let Verstappen hit him, but of course that's just my speculation.

It will make the next few races very interesting, as we see if Verstappen changes how he behaves around Hamilton (the only car he usually races anyway!) as a result.

Good to see Lando up in fourth again too - still the only driver with points in every race.

Last edited:
Back