Formula 1 Pirelli British Grand Prix 2021Formula 1 

• Thread starter Jimlaad43
  • 883 comments
If I remember correctly, there was once a time where other drivers racing again Max were saying something along those lines because they were tired of his aggressive antics with pushing driver off track and weaving under braking....some drivers even said they were going to change their approach on how they drive whenever they have to battle Max....and I'm almost certain Leclerc and Hamilton was one of them 🤔
Back then I was also fully critical of Max' on track behaviour, and he fully deserved a lot of the penalties he received during that time. But did his driving ever put someone in hospital? Lewis' driving today did, and Lewis is the main responsible party for it. As much as Max deserved the criticism back then, Lewis deserves it right now.

Could Max have avoided it today? Sure. Could Lewis have avoided it? Yes, and more so than Max. Who was in the right according to the rules? Max.

So to me it makes no sense how people are blaming Max on this. Lewis was the wrong party here, and the stewards (with access to all data) agree on that.

Should Lewis have lifted?
It very much looks like he did.

You should see what Max said after Grosjean's crash.
The comment that other drivers who didn't race after his crash should be sacked? I don't think it was that bad, and he did later add that obviously it would have been different if Grosjean hadn't walked away.

Hamilton did ask if Verstappen was okay on the radio during the red flag and was told he was, so I'm not sure what the grievance here is either.

Horner calling Hamilton an "eight-time world champion" might grate a bit though :lol:

The rest of the champoinship should be more exciting now after the Max/Lewis incident.

Pure bravado and not backing down, from both drivers at that corner, could've have a caused a driver fatality or if the Red bull dug into the gravel, a spectator impact.

I think LH pinched him (understeered out) and Max didn't back down.

The gloves are off now LH, look out. 😱

Last edited:
Red flag rules should change. Not sure being able to change tire and fix damage when you caused the red flag is right.

George might as well stay at home on Sundays.
During the red flag period it was still undecided whether Lewis caused it or not, and everyone has the same right to change tyres and repair during red flag.

So either nobody gets to do it, or everyone gets to do it, and I think they should let people repair what damage they can to not cause more danger during the restart. Imagine someone with broken aero during a restart understeering into T1 and wiping the grid out. Wouldn't you want them to repair that?

Has everyone suddenly forgotten the hyper aggression shown by Max towards Lewis at the start of the season? Pushing Lewis clean off the track at Barcelona, and at Imola (slightly different circumstances though).

Max has gone through his entire racing career believing that he has right of way over everyone else, and for a change he came up against a version of Hamilton who has had enough of it.

This was a long time coming, and I personally can't wait to see more of it. Let's see Lewis diving into the first corner especially at Zandvoort, and push Max off the top, see how he likes it.

Last edited:
A few things of note which have (understandably) gone over most people's heads:

Stroll and Tsunoda both made massive gains to get into the points after sucking balls in qualifying, and both beat their team mates.

It took Vettel the whole race to not pass Latifi before eventually giving up, when without that he could've finished 7th. No way the car was damaged just from spinning, he really does test his fans!

Russell did literally nothing.

Perez could've finished near the front if the team didn't make him pit every other lap. His thing is long stints and tyre management, not short bursts where you blast through the field. Absolute garbage from both him and the team.

Mazepin beat Schumacher. Apparently Schumacher had some kind steering wheel issue, but even so, Mazepin is normally 40 seconds behind so for once he's done a thing.

Last edited:
I’m sorry but what Lewis did today was completely unacceptable in my view.

That wasn‘t close racing. He went for a gap that didn’t exist and left it up to Max to decide wether to have a crash or not. Yes, Max and other drivers have done that too over the years but you especially don’t do that at a completely flat out corner with next to none run off. That is dirty and un sportsman like behaviour. Certainly not what you’d expect from a 7 time World Champion.

Max wouldn’t be walking away (into a hospital, let’s not forget) if it wasn’t for today’s safety standards.

At the end of the day Lewis has caused a 51G impact and put a driver in hospital... for him to gloat and go about how he did nothing wrong is disgusting in my opinion.

Black flag/race ban for me but that’s just my opinion. I love close racing but come on, that is not a standard you want to set. You can’t accept that on track behaviour and tell drivers that is acceptable. And 10 seconds very much does that.

Has everyone suddenly forgotten the hyper aggression shown by Max towards Lewis at the start of the season? Pushing Lewis clean off the track at Barcelona, and at Imola (slightly different circumstances though).

Max had gone through his entire racing career believing that he has right of way over everyone else, and for a change he came up against a version of Hamilton who has had enough of it.

This was a long time coming, and I personally can't wait to see more of it. Let's see Lewis diving into the first corner especially at Zandvoort, and push Max off the top, see how he likes it.
100%, this. Max learned the hard way, as much as I absolutely hate phrasing it that way.

Max had gone through his entire racing career believing that he has right of way over everyone else, and for a change he came up against a version of Hamilton who has had enough of it.

Fair point, and Max has certainly picked up some deserved penalties along the way.

But what guilt there is in the past should not be used in any way to form a judgement on this incident.

And the idea that Max "had it coming" is a pretty poor one. It's up to Lewis to be the bigger man.

Last edited:
Would it be better for you if we changed the phrase to, "learned it the firm way"?
Let's say yes. To the original point, let's go one further with how Max acts during FP sessions as if every one needs to give him the right of way because...reasons?

I like Max, as most of us do, obviously but let's not pretend (not talking about you, @Sureboss :lol: ) his record is squeaky clean and that he wouldn't have done the exact same thing if the roles were reversed.

At the end of the day Lewis has caused a 51G impact and put a driver in hospital... for him to gloat and go about how he did nothing wrong is disgusting in my opinion.
Lewis asked if Max was okay. Team replied he's out of the car. TMU in the last half hour, Lewis didn't even know Max went to the hospital until post-interviews.

This is a key detail folks are either not aware of or purposely leaving out.

No we haven't, that also wasn't okay, but that doesn't mean it's fine when Lewis does it.

I also want to remind you that it is very much against the rules here to wish a driver to crash (as you do at the end of your post)

Lewis asked if Max was okay. Team replied he's out of the car. TMU in the last half hour, Lewis didn't even know Max went to the hospital until post-interviews.

Had Max headed off to hospital before the end of the red flag period? If so, Lewis would've known.

1626630580645.png

MAX.
IS.
PISSEDDDD.

I have never seen such an awful choice of words from Lewis in my life, what an idiot

"There needs to be respect on the track - and if not this will happen more often I guess"
He's right, but not in the way he thinks he is 😄

Seeing Lewis celebrate with a UK flag in his hand running around the track while Max rn is in the hospital genuinely sickens me
I don’t understand all of the comments like this. Lewis was told by his team during the race that Max was OK, and jumped out of the car by himself. He had absolutely no knowledge of Max being sent to hospital for his checkups before, or during his celebrations.

Expect Crashstappen in two weeks then.

Edit: oh yeah, it didn't result in a crash but Max/Charles Austria 2019? Anyone forgotten that one? Don't think he had the line there either but he barged his way in.

Last edited:
I also want to remind you that it is very much against the rules here to wish a driver to crash (as you do at the end of your post)
Yes, it is. No more please, @DG_Silva - Verstappen is already in hospital and it could have been worse, but thankfully wasn't.

I appreciate you weren't necessarily intending to wish for more of the same, but crashes are by their nature unpredictable and potentially deadly, and we've had this rule for many, many years for this reason.

Last edited:
Fair point, and Max has certainly picked up some deserved penalties along the way.

But what guilt there is in the past should not be used in any way to form a judgement on this incident.

And the idea that Max "had it coming" is a pretty poor one. It's up to Lewis to be the bigger man.
Why is it up the Lewis to be the bigger person when Max is the one with the history of not leaving space?

If Max was "the bigger man", he would have backed off. And ultimately would have had 51 laps to overtake Lewis.

I don’t understand all of the comments like this. Lewis was told by his team during the race that Max was OK, and jumped out of the car by himself. He had absolutely no knowledge of Max being sent to hospital for his checkups before, or during his celebrations.
A respectful thing to say for him, even if he didn't know how Max was doing would be: "It's a shame our battle had to end like this. We never want to crash, and I hope he's doing fine."
Doesn't even assign blame to either party, but just acknowledges that it happened, and that it's a bad thing.

And he still won’t take responsibility. Perhaps once he settles down and watches the onboards he will. Regardless of knowing wether or not Max was in hospital you shouldn’t celebrate like that when winning by causing a collision. Maybe I’m just too polite, but I don’t think that is what Fangio or Moss would’ve been like.

I’d have to watch it again, but at the time it seemed to me the incident never should have had a chance to happen. Lewis had completed the pass at an earlier, slower corner but Max had forced his way back in front by partially cutting across an apex. Just seemed like super aggression to remain in front at all costs on lap 1 when you have had the clear upper hand for the last half-dozen races.

EDIT: Looked worse live. But the earlier move where Max ran wide and kicked up dust looks worse on second viewing. Either way, at the time it felt like fireworks were inevitable because there was zero give-and-take on either side.

Last edited:
Back