Formula 1 Pirelli Gran Premio Del Made In Italy E Dell'emilia Romagna 2021Formula 1 

• Thread starter Jimlaad43
  • 371 comments

Jimlaad43

GeoGuessr God
Premium
United Kingdom
United Kingdom
2021 continues three weeks later with the Mouthful of English and Italian words Grand Prix. A late replacement for the once-again cancelled Chinese Grand Prix, Imola makes its second appearance as a COVID replacement Grand Prix, back in its traditional early-season slot. Excluding 2020, this is the earliest European round in the season since Imola also hosted the second round of the 1989 season. A fascinating and exhilarating circuit with history in each corner (some of which we won't talk about), the drivers were certainly put through their paces last season - especially with the not-to-be-repeated 2 day format. Of the COVID-replacement circuits brought in last year, Imola didn't exactly produce the best of those races, but with the 2021 grid looking closer than ever, and a genuine challenger to Lewis Hamilton appearing, this has the makings of a thriller. Let's just hope that extended DRS zone does actually allow passing to happen.
image.png

First Grand Prix

Number of Laps

Circuit Length
4.909km

Race Distance
309.049 km

Lap Record
1:15.484 Lewis Hamilton (2020)

(NB, if I haven't made a Grand Prix thread, anyone else can make it if it's taking too long. Don't feel like it's my job only if it is well past the Tuesday embargo)

They've gone and done a mini-Turkey and repaved the entrance to the pit lane mere days before the event. Rain is possible Sunday, what are the odds on someone binning it?

Grand Prix of San Marino was a stretch, but this is ridiculous and it needs to stop:

Pirelli Gran Premio Del Made In Italy E Dell'emilia Romagna 2021

Actually, the "Grand Prix" as we know it was made in...France. :D

Last edited:
I like Imola far more than Monza (purely from a fun-to-drive in video games stance), but F1 racing wasn't amazing there last year if I recall. Still, it's nice to see any track which the teams have little to no data on over the past 10-15-20 years.

They've gone and done a mini-Turkey and repaved the entrance to the pit lane mere days before the event. Rain is possible Sunday, what are the odds on someone binning it?

The odds are a permanent red flag :(

Track position will prove even more vital here. If Red Bull are to properly take it to Mercedes, they need to be a step ahead or it will be another year or domination. However I feel as though Red Bull have a bigger advantage here and that Mercedes' weak spots will be exposed with greater clarity compared to Bahrain. But Verstappen has bad form in Italy, so he'll be under pressure to perform. Let's see if it gets to him.

Get rid of the Tosa chicane and make it a second DRS zone and you'd have a great race here.

I can't help but like Imola. It's always looked amazing and these days the rare grass and gravel look stands out even more.

Last edited:
That would certainly be interesting if it happens.

And guarantees a Verstappen win when Kvyat steps back down :)

EDIT: According to several sports sites of varying quality Alpine have 'rubbished' the rumour.

Last edited:
And guarantees a Verstappen win when Kvyat steps back down :)

EDIT: According to several sports sites of varying quality Alpine have 'rubbished' the rumour.
Nope, the curse was broken last time out, as Hamilton won the first race after Kvyat left AlphaTauri.

Track limits are to be properly policed at 3 of the 5-6 corners where running wide gains an advantage

...as opposed to enforcing them at all six corners where running wide gives an advantage?

Part of me is starting to think they're doing this on purpose to increase the "drama".

Quite.

...as opposed to enforcing them at all six corners where running wide gives an advantage?
How about enforcing it at every white line around the track? You don't see football referees not bothering with throw-ins around the halfway line...

So Mazepine will end his race on which lap and at which corner?

Last edited:
So Mazepine will end his race on which lap and at which corner?
I think he’ll lock his brakes and slide into the gravel on the first turn of the first lap.

I see he’s already had a spin in the first 10 minutes of practice.

That’s 7 spins in pre season, Bahrain and FP1. Yet some people believe he’s good enough.
Eight - one in pre-season, five in Bahrain, two here (so far).

All totally unpredictable and surprising spins too. Nobody could possibly have seen this coming.

If Haas, the FIA, Formula 1 and the Mazepin family wanted to leave Nikita's driving to do the talking, it's currently telling us a lot of warning signs.

From the interviews in Bahrain I saw of Nikita, he sounded alright and was saying the right things. But as we know, actions speak louder than words and Mazepin's on track actions are doing nothing to prove that his F2 on-track and otherwise despicable off track moment are excusable. #WeSayNoToMazepin, and his driving agrees with us. It's just a shame that Money speaks much louder than both actions and words.

Mazepin is just going out to prove that all the horrific abuse and hate Lance Stroll gets for Daddy's Cash is totally overblown. I'll take a dull interviewee with a racer's mindset and talent over a dangerous sexual harasser any day.

The biggest winner is of course Mick Schumacher, because he just gets to sit there and know he's easily beating his team mate every race.

I predict Red Bull are going to be even more dominant here than Bahrain. Imola needs a very stable rear end for all those quick direction change chicanes and curved braking zones (Acque Minerali, Rivazza). Watch out for Gasly too, he qualified 4th here last year and AT is a much better car this year.

I don't think we've seen the true pace of the reb bull yet but at first glance, I'd say the mercedes are looking really good there. A lot better than at Bahrain.

This might be a really good race. I'm hoping there will be some overtaking even though this looks like another track where track position might be key

Both Williams into Q2...

Also, the tosser has only gone and done it again, driving in qualifying like he's in a GT Sport FIA lobby.

Tough luck for Yuki. Back end suddenly went out and got totaled.

That said, holy crap. Both Williams are in Q2 :eek:

Alonso only in Q2 because Tsunoda stacked it (can we coin the term "Tsunodasteer" yet?) and bumped out in 15th having only tied Latifi's time. Vettel 13th behind Russell, and Sainz picking up where Vettel left off to go out 11th.

Norris apparently schooling Ricciardo at the moment, and Hamilton seemingly content to be 0.10-0.15s away from the fastest time in both sessions.

Edit: Norris goes second then has his lap time deleted for T9 track limits and starts behind Ricciardo.

Hamilton ahead of Perez, with Verstappen alongside Leclerc on row two.

Last edited:
Back