Formula 1 Pirelli Gran Premio Della Toscana Ferrari 1000 2020Formula 1 

• Thread starter Jimlaad43
  • 451 comments

Jimlaad43

GeoGuessr God
Premium
United Kingdom
United Kingdom
Formula 1 takes its second step into the unknown in 2020 this weekend. From double headers being brand new, we also head to the first of three circuits this year F1 has never raced on, the long-awaited Mugello circuit. Host of the Italian Motorcycle Grand Prix, the circuit certainly knows how to put on a show, and it's inclusion has been universally lauded as all the drivers and pundits are excited about seeing the cars here. The circuit is likely to be a bit like Suzuka without the slow corners, with Paul Di Resta predicting that a qualifying lap won't ever dip below 4th gear. The race is a celebration as it coincides with Ferrari's 1000th Formula One championship Grand Prix. I was going to say "will it be better than their last few", but nothing could be worse than Spa and Monza. This circuit which is all corners should play to Ferrari's strengths hide Ferrari's weaknesses a bit better so it shouldn't be as painful. Spectators are finally returning to an F1 race, with a limited number of fans allowed into Grandstands. Will the racing be good? Will be care after watching the stonking Pole lap? This is likely to be the only time we see F1 cars racing around Mugello, so let's enjoy the TUSCAN GRAND PRIX!
image.png

First Grand Prix

Number of Laps

Circuit Length
5.245km

Race Distance
309.455 km

Lap Record
Offically n/a
1:21.035 - Romain Grosjean, 2012 F1 test​

It's cool to go to a new circuit but there's like one overtaking spot so don't expect much.

Maybe not even that, they may struggle to follow through the last turn. Defending into 1 should also be pretty simple due to the light braking zone and single line through, which just leaves highway style overtakes done before they get to the corner.

My expectations are super low for excitement, although that will be balanced a bit by the excitement of racing somewhere totally new. What also may save us is the lack of tarmac run offs, small mistakes are going to be punished and may lead to SC/Red flag.

Not sure how the race will pan out but hopefully not a snooze fest.

Like mentioned above, there is no run off at Mugello so hopefully mistakes will happen and drivers will be punished for it.

We need more old-school tracks with grass and gravel runoffs.

Even the race drivers on sky sports say it. Add a Meter of grass between the track and the tarmac run off and it will keep the drivers from running wide.

Well sadly I've seen there is a little more tarmac runoff since the F1 Ferrari lap was done that is doing the rounds, on the exit of most corners, and the entrance for some reason. Still not as dramatic as most modern car park circuits though.

I think the lighting in the studio shot disturbs the actual color. The press release says it's painted like the 125S, "Rosso Barchetta"

Ferrari_125_S.jpg

The cameras might end up making it look brown, which is okay because the car is ****. :lol:

I think the lighting in the studio shot disturbs the actual color. The press release says it's painted like the 125S, "Rosso Barchetta"

Ferrari_125_S.jpg

The cameras might end up making it look brown, which is okay because the car is ****. :lol:

How well/poorly did the car do in the first race?

This would be a good chance for perez to take giovannazi seat i think. Or if Kimi leaves then take his and an F2 driver can take the other one.

F1 needs more variety in the calendar like what Mugello offers. I think it should be good if it tests teams' tyre management like Silverstone.

Mugello will be cool to watch. My expectation is it will be low in terms of on track racing and overtaking but high on excitement in terms of watching them drive the circuit. While there are now some more run offs and extra buts of concrete, there's definitely more jeopardy than other circuits and in certain areas the barriers are quite close to the circuit. Theres also talk of a 3 stop race, not sure how likely that is but with such a fast circuit with lots of medium to high speed turns, tyre deg and tyre choices could play a big part and we'll have an exciting strategy battle.

Also the run down to turn 1 from the grid, the circuit has that gentle curve right to left over a slight crest which will be blind for the drivers, expect to see some on the grass as everyone squeezes over to get the optimal line for turn 1. Likewise during the race, with how long the DRS zone is, I expect to see drivers rubbering up offline at the final turn to get out of dirty air and cut back down the DRS zone to pass on the left.

Ferrari_125_S.jpg

2nd and 4th at Monaco. It's not the car in that picture, though, it would appear Ferrari ran different cars named 125.

In that picture is the 125S which was a sports car raced in the late 40s. The 125 F1 was the first F1 car from the same period. They have a similar name because they had the same engine. I don't know if they ever ran it in that shade.

ZhqHITbyR4aHOVDyxZwO0g

This race will be like spain unless the drs is overpowered with the long straight, the first corner is a bit too fast for my liking for a good outbraking challenge.

It's a Motorcycle track so I would reel in your expectations even though I think this track will be very enjoyable from a driver perspective due to the high speed flowy nature of it.

Not sure how the race will pan out but hopefully not a snooze fest.

Like mentioned above, there is no run off at Mugello so hopefully mistakes will happen and drivers will be punished for it.

We need more old-school tracks with grass and gravel runoffs.

Even the race drivers on sky sports say it. Add a Meter of grass between the track and the tarmac run off and it will keep the drivers from running wide.
The reason tarmac runoffs were added was because of safety concerns. With grass and gravel, it was very common for cars to dig in and get flung dozens of feet, sometimes up and over tyre barriers and into retaining fences. A LOT of deaths were because of rollovers. Tarmac runoff was probably the most effective safety measure they’ve added since fire suits and helmets.

The reason tarmac runoffs were added was because of safety concerns. With grass and gravel, it was very common for cars to dig in and get flung dozens of feet, sometimes up and over tyre barriers and into retaining fences. A LOT of deaths were because of rollovers. Tarmac runoff was probably the most effective safety measure they’ve added since fire suits and helmets.

I know why they have them, but it sure deters drivers from keeping it within the boundaries of the circuit. Which is a shame.

And the FIA suck donkey balls at enforcing anything to do with track limits.

They should just put those yellow Austria sausages at every track, break those front wings right off.

The run offs aren't that big anyway.

Besides, automatic time deletion in practice and qualifying and a 3 strikes rule in the race is sufficient. There arent that many places around Mugello where drivers will be able to gain time by running wide.

Back