Formula 1 Pirelli Gran Premio Della Toscana Ferrari 1000 2020Formula 1 

• Thread starter Jimlaad43
  • 451 comments
One of the best races of the modern era. Complete with a last lap overtake for the win at a time when Red Bull seemed untouchable (like Merc now)
Which incidentally with the current rule we'd have been robbed of, as the total time of that race ran 5 minutes over 4 hours.

Don't think we've got very close to that 4hr total limit since then though.

The ragazzo throwing the fire extinguisher there killed me.

It's almost like he's saying "this is done, bring another one and let's make sure this engine is fully covered" :lol:

That aside, with so much damage, I'm still kinda shocked that they can just put it all back together and not actually build a completely different car!

So, drivers and fans loved that. A proper test. How about bringing back the ‘ European gp’ next season, maybe alternate them with imola and portugal, something like that.

_114359316_hamalex.jpg

Darlington Grand Prix next year for sure.

It may have had only one overtaking spot, but what an overtaking spot that was. Didn't even need a DRS zone for outside passes to happen. Methinks track designers should reconsider how slow and sharp a corner must be for overtaking. Not everything needs to be a 30mph hairpin with an apex as sharp as a dagger point.

I quite enjoyed that. :D

It may have had only one overtaking spot, but what an overtaking spot that was. Didn't even need a DRS zone for outside passes to happen. Methinks track designers should reconsider how slow and sharp a corner must be for overtaking. Not everything needs to be a 30mph hairpin with an apex as sharp as a dagger point.

The positive camber helped massively, meant drivers could take many lines through and retain grip. These days they make corners with negative camber to make them "more challenging" but that just makes it so there is only one line through.

Sainz remarked as much somewhere. He wants more positive camber corners.

Cambered corners are something we really don't get to see much of, like Ovals they are good for multiple grooves, really something modern track designers should look into.

Had a feeling that would happen, especially when he wore it on the podium. There are rules on dress code, uniforms and political statements etc in other sports as well like Football. He will probably get a fine or something at most.

Had a feeling that would happen, especially when he wore it on the podium. There are rules on dress code, uniforms and political statements etc in other sports as well like Football. He will probably get a fine or something at most.
I'd say a fine is worth it to help spread awareness.

I'm sure Lewis Hamilton can afford a €20,000 fine. Hell, even €100,000 is nothing but a slap on the wrist.

Great Britain once had another star GP driver who flew a political flag at the track. Now his name is avoided like the plague.

Out of curiosity, do the fines go to charity like in US sports? Figured Lewis wouldn't actually care if that's the case.

Also relating to Mugello, a naked Ferrari from last weekend.
si0dwkqu5cn51.jpg

Great Britain once had another star GP driver who flew a political flag at the track. Now his name is avoided like the plague.
I will here highlight the slightly shaky ground Toto Wolff's "we have always stood against racism as a team and as corporate" statement stands on, particularly as it pertains to former Holocaust Architect Display Wagon manufacturers Mercedes-Benz.

But, for what it's worth, it's a t-shirt and I don't see it worthy of kerfuffle. I think we are past the time of not wanting to see F1 drivers show their personality, quite the opposite.

Re: the safety car restart crash, F1.com did an analysis and basically it all comes down to a couple of factors that all coincided and resulted in that unfortunate situation.
1) Safety car turned off the lights very late (in the final corner) -> Bottas couldn't hang back and create a gap to bolt away from the pack (you're required to maintain 10 car lengths to the SC when the lights are still on)
2) Safety car control line located on S/F straight (you cannot pass the safety car before this line) -> Bottas couldn't gun it right after the SC light went out because with the acceleration difference he would've overtaken the SC and got a penalty
3) The only way to protect his position is then to start as late as possible, at the S/F line to minimise the distance to the first corner over which he can be slipstreamed
4) A few drivers in the midfield (Kvyat and Russel) tried to outsmart the leaders by creating large gaps, and accelerating earlier than Bottas. They then had to stop again, and obviously the speed difference down the pack is magnified and eventually someone won't have enough time to react...and you know the rest.

See here from 1:30

Also, Kvyat's Silverstone crash, Vettel's Monza brake failure, Ocon's brake fire and Stroll's crash might all be related to the same issue: the rear left brakes overheating and damaging the wheel assembly/tyres on that corner of the car. Whoever their brake supplier is, they better get on top of this issue soon. We're lucky no one had been seriously hurt so far.

Re: the safety car restart crash, F1.com did an analysis and basically it all comes down to a couple of factors that all coincided and resulted in that unfortunate situation.
1) Safety car turned off the lights very late (in the final corner) -> Bottas couldn't hang back and create a gap to bolt away from the pack (you're required to maintain 10 car lengths to the SC when the lights are still on)
2) Safety car control line located on S/F straight (you cannot pass the safety car before this line) -> Bottas couldn't gun it right after the SC light went out because with the acceleration difference he would've overtaken the SC and got a penalty
3) The only way to protect his position is then to start as late as possible, at the S/F line to minimise the distance to the first corner over which he can be slipstreamed
4) A few drivers in the midfield (Kvyat and Russel) tried to outsmart the leaders by creating large gaps, and accelerating earlier than Bottas. They then had to stop again, and obviously the speed difference down the pack is magnified and eventually someone won't have enough time to react...and you know the rest.

See here from 1:30

Also, Kvyat's Silverstone crash, Vettel's Monza brake failure, Ocon's brake fire and Stroll's crash might all be related to the same issue: the rear left brakes overheating and damaging the wheel assembly/tyres on that corner of the car. Whoever their brake supplier is, they better get on top of this issue soon. We're lucky no one had been seriously hurt so far.

It is somewhat ironic that, even at an incident-packed race/circuit, it was the Safety Car that took out most of the cars.

It is somewhat ironic that, even at an incident-packed race/circuit, it was the Safety Car that took out most of the cars.

Yes, the irony is strong with this one.

In the extended post race conference the drivers even said it's done on purpose to increase excitement:
Q: (Andrew Benson – BBC Sport) For everybody: have you raised these concerns about the late extinguishing of the lights on the safety car and the racing from the start/finish line with the FIA before? And if so, what’s been their response?

LH: I don’t remember. Has it been brought up? I can’t remember.

VB: I know that I think our team opened up the discussion again this morning before the race, saying that it’s a bit of a concern here, but they said basically they’re going to keep doing it because it’s better for the show. I think that was the reply.

IMO, if they want to keep the pack close for the restarts and still keep it safe, they should just make it a formal double file rolling start instead of letting the drivers decide their own gap management.

Safety cars always go on way longer than they should; sucking up all the racing laps. Starting a wet race under a safety car should never be a thing, and if whatever is causing the safety car takes more than three laps to clear then they should red flag the race and line up on the grid.

I will here highlight the slightly shaky ground Toto Wolff's "we have always stood against racism as a team and as corporate" statement stands on, particularly as it pertains to former Holocaust Architect Display Wagon manufacturers Mercedes-Benz.

But, for what it's worth, it's a t-shirt and I don't see it worthy of kerfuffle. I think we are past the time of not wanting to see F1 drivers show their personality, quite the opposite.

When Dan Gurney popped, sprayed and quaffed a bottle of Champagne at LeMans, that was a great improvement in the dignified ceremony that was prevailing back in the day. However, if he had worn a Richard Nixon for President tee-shirt, I doubt that would have gone over half so well.

Back in the 30's, Mercedes-Benz directly received funds from the German state, and obligingly ran with the swastika emblazoned on the car. Not so nice.

A winning driver stripping down to a Borat suit on the podium and trying to hand out sex toys would say a lot about his personality and may be funny. But the guys in the stiff collars at the top of the FIA would probably think that it brought the sport into disrepute.

Back