Formula 1 Rolex Belgian Grand Prix 2021Formula 1 

• Thread starter Jimlaad43
  • 464 comments
In fact I wonder if some teams challenge it.
Horner's always up for some litigation.

Though for some curious reason I don't think he will be this time round... in fact there's a whole lot of not much noise coming from Milton Keynes.

Hope he enjoys that hollow victory.

Giving points to anyone for that is making me rather glad I don't actually follow F1 anymore.

Last edited:
Horner's always up for some litigation.

Though for some curious reason I don't think he will be this time round... in fact there's a whole lot of not much noise coming from Milton Keynes.
I'm sure his comments about inappropriate celebrations on the podium will be coming any minute now...

How any of those three had the gall to spray champagne and celebrate even mildly I don't know. If this were in the UK in the nineties then the fans probably would've expected this guy to pop up there.

_414837_edmonds300.jpg

(Niche joke, I know)

Last edited:
And after all this we have Zandvoort to look forward to next weekend. I think I'll sleep in and read about the one overtake sometime in the afternoon

I mean, I agree with "doesn't matter how they come", sometimes you need a lot of luck and things falling into place to get results.......but only to a point. I think "Did exactly zero green flag racing" is definitely beyond that point.

The 2nd place on the grid yesterday was well deserved and well worth celebrating, but the "podium" is rather null.

God, I genuinely want to be happy about this, because Williams and George are one of the hardest working entities in F1, but it just feels so hollow. It's just like how Chase Elliot won the Cup title in NASCAR last year.
Less hollow than Lewis "win" at silverstone.
Punts someone off and then "Celebrates" an easy win.

Getting the underpowered williams to P2 in quali is hard were cars are filled with less fuel, so more deserving IMO.

Mmmmm, not for me. At least there was an actual race that took place, and there's a very solid argument that Max's victory today was objectively easier than the one Lewis got at Silverstone.
Getting the underpowered williams to P2 in quali is hard were cars are filled with less fuel, so more deserving IMO.
George put in an absolutely amazing performance on Saturday, and Williams' strategists nailed it, both of which should be celebrated in their own right. But points and podiums usually aren't given out for qualifying, nor should they be imo. That is, of course, unless F1 decides it wants to be a Time Attack series.

Last edited:

lol. Good joke

Easy race wins will always exist, but no matter how easy, they're still races. The drivers still drove 300km (except Monaco) faster than all of their competitors. Best car, other competitors knocked off, it doesn't change that fact. You have to drive for ~90 minutes and you get rewarded, that is F1 and always has been.

Getting points essentially just for qualifying and nothing more is not F1. Not even the new sprint qualifying race that isn't a race gave out full points, and that was a race. That wasn't, officially.

Yet now yesterdays farce will go down in the record books as an official race that Max Verstappen won, and all the other records. Stupid. He qualified on pole, he didn't do anything to win any race, because there wasn't one.

Easy race wins will always exist, but no matter how easy, they're still races. The drivers still drove 300km (except Monaco) faster than all of their competitors. Best car, other competitors knocked off, it doesn't change that fact. You have to drive for ~90 minutes and you get rewarded, that is F1 and always has been.

Getting points essentially just for qualifying and nothing more is not F1. Not even the new sprint qualifying race that isn't a race gave out full points, and that was a race. That wasn't, officially.

Yet now yesterdays farce will go down in the record books as an official race that Max Verstappen won, and all the other records. Stupid. He qualified on pole, he didn't do anything to win any race, because there wasn't one
I simply cannot help myself and not take the low hanging fruit here on F1's logic between Silverstone and Spa:

F1.jpg

That was weak to classify that as a race

Are the Modifications at Eau Rouge involving gravel traps? They surely must help in preventing the rebounding off the wall

Last edited:
George Russell in my head, channeling his inner Cal Naughton Jr.: "I know it's a technicality, but I tell you what... You try to take this thing away from me, I'll sock you straight in the face!"

Having the race abandoned completely without a "result" would be stupid thing to do. All the teams traveled to the track, set up their equipment, took their cars out of the transporter and had their drivers participate in practice and qualifying. Not having a "result" would render all those efforts useless. Yes, it's controversial to award points but I don't think there was much of a choice. It was a unique situation.

This Spa race is something like typical video game race (non-Endurance ones obviously), with it only consisting of few number of laps like 2.

Or in F1 games:
distance.png

And history repeats for backmarkers getting 2nd place at Spa due to circumstances.
1630295381790.png

1630295502542.png

Last edited:
2021 Belgian Grand Prix the "Shortest F1 race ever". :lol:

Is the 1985 Belgian Grand Prix the longest then? 🤔

Is there a Grand Prix that took more time to "complete" than this one? If not then it simultaneously would be the longest AND shortest in history. The greatest amount of time to cover the smallest distance.

Having the race abandoned completely without a "result" would be stupid thing to do. All the teams traveled to the track, set up their equipment, took their cars out of the transporter and had their drivers participate in practice and qualifying. Not having a "result" would render all those efforts useless. Yes, it's controversial to award points but I don't think there was much of a choice. It was a unique situation.
That's just how sport goes sometimes though. They went all the way to Australia last season, set up, and cancelled the whole event last minute.

Nothing would change by declaring a non event and not issuing points. The fans still wouldn't have seen a race, the drivers wouldn't have had a race.

Is there a Grand Prix that took more time to "complete" than this one? If not then it simultaneously would be the longest AND shortest in history. The greatest amount of time to cover the smallest distance.
There's no race that's taken this long to complete so few laps, however the longest I believe is the 2011 Canadian GP: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2011_Canadian_Grand_Prix

If you've never watched it, set yourself a couple of hours aside, it's an absolute EPIC!

Was the quality of the rain different at Spa this year? Brundle was insistent he had raced in worse. Or has the zeitgeist of F1 racing in the woke/pandemic era shifted? And/or is Hamilton right when he opines that commercial interests prevailed? Did the spectators go home basically satisfied, as local hero was declared winner?

Racing in the rain at Spa has been going on for almost 100 years. But most of that racing was on treaded tires closer to 5.5" wide with cars closer to 250 hp than 1000.

It's the wide tyres that are the problem in the rain. They throw up so much water, it's like looking at a powerboat with an enormous rooster tail.

Last edited:
Should have cancelled today’s race and came back later in the calendar. What a joke
Belgian weather isn't any better later in the year, I'm told. Does this mean moving the Belgian GP early in the calendar in the future is a way to prevent this from happening again though?

Was the quality of the rain different at Spa this year? Brundle was insistent he had raced in worse. Or has the zeitgeist of F1 racing in the woke/pandemic era shifted? And/or is Hamilton right when he opines that commercial interests prevailed? Did the spectators go home basically satisfied, as local hero was declared winner?

Racing in the rain at Spa has been going on for almost 100 years. But most of that racing was on treaded tires closer to 5.5" wide with cars closer to 250 hp than 1000.

Brundle raced when safety was more lax.

Look at the spa 98 crash after turn 1.
All the drivers ran out and went to the pits to get into the T-Car.

Today that would not happen even if we had the T-Cars
All those drivers would be forced to go to the medical center.

Last edited:
Rather glad I just followed the 'race' on the live blog on my phone and watched the BTCC on the TV.

I think that bump at the bottom of Eau Rouge that's appeared since the flooding was upsetting the cars and everyone involved was nervous about the race because of the accidents being triggered there. Generally speaking, accidents at Eau Rouge/Raidillon in F1 are not nearly as common as you'd expect them to be.

Back